Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac Otakara points to a news report [Google translation] from TV Tokyo's World Business Satellite in which a Foxconn recruiter claims that the company is hiring 18,000 new workers to support production of the iPhone 5. According to the recruiter, the device is planned to launch in June.

tv_tokyo_foxconn_recruiter.jpg
TV Tokyo reporter talking to Foxconn reporter
The exchange took place at Foxconn's plant in the suburbs of Taiyuan, China, where 80,000 workers are already employed. The brief clip of the reporter talking to the Foxconn recruiter appears just over seven minutes into the news segment.

It appears unlikely that a recruiter would be specifically provided with information on Apple's device launch plans, although knowing something of Foxconn's hiring goals and targeted job needs could offer them insight into the production roadmap.

While there have been a few reports indicating that Apple could return to its mid-year launch timeframe with the next-generation iPhone, many observers believe that an interval of just 8-9 months from the iPhone 4S debut is too short for Apple's liking and development cycle. Consequently, a repeat of the later September-October timeframe as occurred last year has been seen as the most likely scenario for a 2012 iPhone launch.

Article Link: Foxconn Recruiter Claims Hiring Spree Boosting Production for June iPhone 5 Launch

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
How can the iPhone 5 "launch in June" when no major changes (in design or hardware-wise) have been leaked yet?

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I mean I think we'd all love a sooner than later release, but aren't voice/data LTE low powered chips not expected until late 2012? Surely since the A6 wasn't ready for the iPad 3, it probably won't be ready until late 2012 either. I can't see them sticking the A5 in there again, and the A5X wouldn't fit.

I call BS, I'm thinking still a Fall release.

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
they need to launch the 5 w/ LTE already

after the lukewarm update that was the 4S

June would push them even further ahead of the competition

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
The hiring spree is to make up the hours lost that they were forced to cut from workers over-time.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Either that, or there's two new iPhone models.

A normal sized 3.5" model, and a 4" or so sized model. The products will be launched in fall this year, but around June the designs finalised and production ramped up.

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Will avoid lines by preordering again.

I really hope we get a larger screen.

That's all I realistically want.

I know apple won't give us any real big update to ios though it needs it.

Notifications still suck. They need to buy lockinfo and bitesms and call it day.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
FYI to all the dreamers of a June iPhone release...

Apple releases a new iOS beta at least 2.5 months prior to a new iPhone release (last year's was 4 months). So once Apple has an event to showcase the iOS 6 beta, we can start a countdown. Either way, if we don't see an event by the next couple weeks - you could bet Apple won't release anything in June.

Also, Apple's gone back to its roots with WWDC (a June event) being a software event. Then releasing iPhone's in Fall to be ready for the Holiday season. AKA like when Apple did software in June, then iPods in Fall (circa 2003-2007).

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Easy Rumor Bust

Its simple, if a iOS 6 beta gets released sometime this month to the public, then the next gen iPhone could be expected at WWDC.

If iOS 6 is released at WWDC or around that time, then expect the fall release.

Apple not Foxconn will signal when the next iPhone will launch.

be4tnut

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
It is more likely that the hiring spree is due to the fact that Foxconn was forced to limit hours on it's employees which will cut down their hours worked. This leaves a lot of unaccounted hours to be worked, so they need a larger workforce to make up the difference and proceed at the normal production goals that they are used to.

This is all assuming that they are actually following the new rules and not pulling out the smoke and mirrors as they normally do.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
FYI to all the dreamers of a June iPhone release...

Apple releases a new iOS beta at least 2.5 months prior to a new iPhone release (last year's was 4 months). So once Apple has an event to showcase the iOS 6 beta, we can start a countdown. Either way, if we don't see an event by the next couple weeks - you could bet Apple won't release anything in June.

Also, Apple's gone back to its roots with WWDC (a June event) being a software event. Then releasing iPhone's in Fall to be ready for the Holiday season. AKA like when Apple did software in June, then iPods in Fall (circa 2003-2007).

Makes perfect sense! Fall it is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.