Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by MacStories, Apple has discontinued its free trials of Aperture and iWork, directing users to the Mac App Store where the apps are available for purchase.

The discontinuation of the Aperture trial is not particularly recent, as discussion forum reports indicate that it has been missing for at least a month, but the removal has gone mostly unnoticed. It is not entirely clear when the iWork trial was taken down from Apple's U.S. site, but it appears to still be available from some international sites such as the UK site. Other international sites also suggest that the iWork trial is still available, but attempts to download the app simply lead to the Mac App Store.

iwork_trial_discontinued.jpg
Since the launch of the Mac App Store in January 2011, Apple has moved all of its major software products to the marketplace, which does not support free trials. The company advises Mac App Store developers wishing to offer free trials of their software to host the downloads on their own sites, but Apple appears to have decided that this option is no longer worthwhile for most of its own apps. Apple does, however, continue to offer a free 30-day trial of Final Cut Pro X, so it has not yet abandoned trials entirely.

Aperture is priced at $79.99 in the Mac App Store, a significant cut from the $199 price of the boxed software it replaced. In a similar fashion, the three iWork applications (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) are available through the Mac App Store at $19.99 each, less than the $79 price for the boxed version containing all three applications.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues Free Trials of Aperture and iWork

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
The iWork apps were incredibly easy to change from trial versions to paid versions. I think the only difference was a plist string that said "Trial" or something, you just had to change it to retail.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
"The trial version of iWork is no longer available. But you can easily purchase...."
Someone is being a smart ass

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
as long as they stay away from Activations, and "this copy of Office is not genuine, blah blah blah"

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Why not? It was a trial version of Numbers that got me to buy the whole iWork suite back in 2008.. Sure it was before the Mac App store, but the price of all three has not changed much since the boxed days.. (With a boxed set you could do more than one installation too)

And the reason I bought it, is because I enjoyed it, after a trial version I downloaded, because I was in a pinch (needed some invoices done, and had no Microsoft Office apps installed on a new Mac)

If I had not gotten the opportunity to try it, who knows if I would have the '09 version today.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
When I downloaded Aperture I didn't use the free trial link so paid full price for it. When I realized it was more software then I needed I sent Apple a message that I would like to discontinue the trial. They then told me "dummy, you didn't buy it through the trial but we'll give you a one-time credit to cover the cost."

So I still have it sitting on my machine, fully operational but unused.

Cool story, bro!

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
as long as they stay away from Activations, and "this copy of Office is not genuine, blah blah blah"

They basically activate through your AppleID and such. While much more transparent than Microsoft's Key Codes, it's essentually doing a similar thing from what I understand.

I'm hoping this move indicates a pending to the iWork products...

Edit: I wish there was a dedicated area of the App store for "trial versions".

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
This is simply a stupid move, they should just have an iwork lite/free or something in the app store that has limited features and if people are happy they would most likely purchase the full version, this way they are just increasing piracy or new customers who wanna try before they buy...

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
As long as reviews aren't censored this approach makes some sense. It's pretty obvious what they do and how they work. iWork is a simple suite to replace most functionality of MS Office, with the exception of Keynote, which blows away Powerpoint, but it worthless outside of a Mac environment.

Aperture is a very powerful upgrade from iPhoto. If you like iPhoto, you'll love Aperture.

Personally, I find reading reviews more productive than trying apps.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Is it wrong to try before you buy now? I really don't see why Apple have done this. I think they should at least add a 'Trial' or 'Demo' button to the Mac App Store page.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I've used Office for as long as I can remember and have never gotten errors about it not being genuine. :rolleyes:

Just yesterday I tried to switch my copy of office to my new laptop and it won't activate. Gave me a number to call and enter an install ID and every time I do that it hangs up on me. No other option to call someone and get an actual person.

Microsoft's customer support stinks.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Really wish I could put my old Aperture 3 code in the app store and just have it recognize it.

Ugh, this just bit me last night. I need to re-install Aperture and found that I can't do it. (I thought I'd saved the Aperture installer but can't find it anywhere.)

I have my software key...just no software! I'm checking with a friend to see if he has his installation file. I hope that pans out.

Once everything in on the MAS this kind of problem won't exist, but this transition period SUCKS.

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Is it wrong to try before you buy now? I really don't see why Apple have done this. I think they should at least add a 'Trial' or 'Demo' button to the Mac App Store page.

Probably because it was real easy to download the trial and find a copy of an activation code online somewhere.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I was going to download the trial as I want to get into photography as a hobby. At the moment, $79 is a bit much for something I don't even know I want to use. I know, some people will say $79isn't much, but it's enough for me.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
This is simply a stupid move, they should just have an iwork lite/free or something in the app store that has limited features and if people are happy they would most likely purchase the full version, this way they are just increasing piracy or new customers who wanna try before they buy...

I doubt piracy bothers Apple when you can only run Apple software on Macs anyway. I highly doubt Apple's software-only revenue streams come even close to Mac/iPhone/iPad revenue streams.

The Mac App store doesn't allow Trials for anyone. Apple moved their software under the Mac App store roof. One place to buy, no confusion.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Oh, and Apple, if you are going to release an updated version of iWork soon, could you at least let me open documents made with the future version? I don't plan to upgrade, but at least don't shut me out of being able to read and write on documents made on different versions.

i had to buy '09, because I could not open documents others made on the newer version, therefore forcing me to upgrade if I wanted to keep working in the same ecosystem.. That's just f'd up.. At least Microsoft Office doesn't care what version you are on..

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Probably because it was real easy to download the trial and find a copy of an activation code online somewhere.

this would be easily fixed by Apple having an area of the App store for Trials, there wouldn't be a code to activate, you'd have to go buy the full version in the app store. The "trial version" would essentually be like buying the regular app except that it would have whatever limitations the developer impsed directly into the code and not be dependant on a plist file or something to tell the app if it is trial/retail.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I was going to download the trial as I want to get into photography as a hobby. At the moment, $79 is a bit much for something I don't even know I want to use. I know, some people will say $79isn't much, but it's enough for me.

My suggestion would be to watch some tutorials online to figure out if it's right for you and has the functionality you are truly looking for. I watched tons of tutorials to learn how to use it even after I bought it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
When's the last time they even updated iwork? 3 years ago at least?

iWork gets regular updates, some notable ones occurred with the release of Lion.

Upgrades to new versions, however, are less frequent. We'd *like" an iWork (particularly Pages) update, but it isn't drastically necessary at the moment. There is nothing dated or long-in-the tooth about, say, Pages. It in fact does what it's supposed to do spectacularly well and has gotten excellent reception even now, considering the last major upgrade was in 2009.

That being said, I'd certainly be quite happy with a new Pages, for instance, that hopefully adopts some features found in Mellel. But I'm not exactly clamoring for them. Perhaps others are, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.