Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs received significant attention for its glimpse into the life of the Apple co-founder and CEO, others with recollections of Jobs have over the years stepped forward with their own accounts and anecdotes serving to provide a picture of his life.

insanely_simple.jpg

One of those people is Ken Segall, the longtime creative advertising director who spent several stints working with Jobs at various ad firms including the famous TBWA\Chiat\Day that has been responsible for many of Apple's landmark ad campaigns. Segall's new book, Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple's Success, offers an interesting blend of business advice and anecdotes designed to help readers understand how Jobs and the culture of simplicity he fostered enabled Apple to reach the loftiest of heights.

Segall breaks his book down into ten chapters focused on different themes all centered around "the Simple Stick". Under the philosophy of Steve Jobs, the pursuit of simplicity is key in everything Apple does, and as complexity began to creep into projects he repeatedly hit them with the Simple Stick in order to bring them back to Apple's focus.
The Simple Stick symbolizes a core value within Apple. Sometimes it's held up as inspiration; other times it's wielded like a caveman's club. In all cases, it's a reminder of what sets Apple apart from other technology companies and what makes Apple stand out in a complicated world: a deep, almost religious belief in the power of Simplicity.
Having worked with Jobs at both NeXT and Apple, Segall was present for a number of Jobs' highs and lows over the years, events which led to a library of interesting and entertaining stories. Yielding a unique perspective, many of these stories come from the back room where Segall was present for discussions among Jobs, other Apple executives, engineers, and advertising professionals about the future of Apple's products and how to market them to the public.

Insanely Simple debuts tomorrow, April 26, and is available in hardcover from retailers such as Amazon, as well as in e-book format from Apple's iBookstore and other retailers.

Article Link: 'Insanely Simple' Shares Anecdotes on Steve Jobs and Apple

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
of course it is, every company in the world wants a simpler program for their respective businesses than what they already have. and which is all connected.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Simple is why I bought an iPod the first time. I was not impressed with the idea, I had user a couple other MP3 players and they sucked. One friend had one, I gave it a try and was hooked by how simplistic it was. Next day I had a green aluminum slice of heaven. :D

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
There seem to be many books appearing about Steve Jobs. Walter Isaacson was the one who did it officially, and with Steve's blessing. The only other people I think worth listening to about him are his family and those closest to him at Apple, and they are keeping their thoughts to themselves, which is the right thing to do.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
But to make something simple and obvious to use is not the easy path. When you create from nothing, there are infinite possible arrangements. Finding the "simple to use" path is heroic and when it is found, obvious. But not til it is found.

Quote Mark Twain here -- “I have made this letter longer than usual, only because I have not had time to make it shorter . ”

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
While Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs received significant attention for its glimpse into the life of the Apple co-founder and CEO, others with recollections of Jobs have over the years stepped forward with their own accounts and anecdotes serving to provide a picture of his life. make a quick buck.

Fixed that for ya. :rolleyes:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
This should be an interesting book.

What I would love is to have at some point Jony Ive/Apple creating a large coffee table book about Apple's design of their products, the story behind it, prototypes that never made it, etc.
That would be very cool for designers and people who appreciate it.

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
hey companies

stop letting MBA and Business team committees decide your products

let your designers lead the way

then you business guys figure out how to sell it, capiche?

:eek: shocking, I know...

andrewzz

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Or

This should be an interesting book.

What I would love is to have at some point Jony Ive/Apple creating a large coffee table book about Apple's design of their products, the story behind it, prototypes that never made it, etc.
That would be very cool for designers and people who appreciate it.

Or create a coffee table!!!!!

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Hadn't heard about this book before, but I'm on. I enjoyed Walters book.
And I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this one as well.

Once again I'm split. Should I buy the book or the e-book? Hmmmm.

henrystar

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
The picture and description look like they came straight off Apple.com
Obviously its not from Apple.com though.
Sure, simple, for children! A real power user wants complicated hard-to-deal with stuff so we can show how superior we are to the unwashed masses. We rule the world! The rest of you can use your toy stuff from AAPL. (P.S. I own shares in AAPL).

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Sure, simple, for children! A real power user wants complicated hard-to-deal with stuff so we can show how superior we are to the unwashed masses. We rule the world! The rest of you can use your toy stuff from AAPL. (P.S. I own shares in AAPL).

I agree completely^^^

Isn't it just horrible how Apple dumbs down everything so any fool, like me, can use it. The idea of simplicity...er ...excuse me...dumbed down, also has the capacity to let you learn more with a little reading and experimentation, and stuff you can learn on MR.

Down with the great unwashed...

:rolleyes:

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
apple has cursed me. they've raised my bar in product expectations. there's no reason for everything out there to be simplified. not dumbed down, but simplified.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Another "art director" trying to; make a quick buck off Steve's death/Apple's success, revise history so it looks like he is some creative genius who created that success (when in actuality he probably had very little to do with anything)

Take all these "First hand accounts of Steve" books with a grain of salt. If you have real stories about Steve/Apple, for the most part, you keep your mouth shut.

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
With all of these books coming out about Steve Jobs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple start making coffee tables for people to put them on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.