Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netgear today announced its first 802.11ac-compatible Wi-Fi router, capable of delivering gigabit speeds up to three times faster than current 802.11n routers. Topping out at 1300 Mbps in 5 Ghz mode and 450 Mbps in 2.4 GHz, Netgear's R6300 router will launch next month at a price of $199.99.

netgear_r6300.jpg

Netgear's announcement is notable for Apple observers, as it appears that it will represent the first shipping product based on the 802.11ac technology and Apple has been rumored to be introducing support for the faster technology in its AirPort products sometime this year.

Broadcom has already launched its first set of 802.11ac 5G Wi-Fi chips, even though the standard will likely not be finalized until later this year. It is, however, routine for Wi-Fi product manufacturers, including Apple, to embrace upcoming technologies even before they are finalized. Several other companies are set to closely follow Netgear's launch with their own products, with Buffalo having announced a June launch for its first 802.11ac router.

Apple last updated its AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Wi-Fi base stations products in June 2011, while the smaller AirPort Express has not been updated since March 2008. Curiously, Apple was reported last September to be preparing to launch an updated AirPort Express, with a reference to the device appearing in developer seed notes for AirPort Utility at the time. Apple has not, however, launched such a device.

Support for 802.11ac would obviously also have to be incorporated into Mac and iOS hardware in order for them to take advantage of the new speeds.

Apple was one of the leaders in early adoption of 802.11 Wi-Fi technology, with the original iBook being the first mainstream computer to ship with the technology as an option in 1999, coming in the form of the original AirPort card running the 802.11b standard.

Article Link: First Gigabit Wi-Fi Routers Ready to Launch

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
whether I use a router from 2008 or this one, I wouldn't notice a difference because my service provider sucks..

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Thats the problem most people are going to run into with this. I currently use a Time capsule and push 22mbs per second through speedtest. If i upgraded to this router there wouldn't be any difference.

The one nice thing that would change though is for moving files on and off the time capsule if they were to upgrade to allow gigbit wireless as currently transfer speed over wifi sucks compared to gigbit wired.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I think the naming scheme will confuse consumers, who have learned that with a, b, g, and now n, the further down the alphabet you go the faster the wifi technology. With "ac" I think lots of people will think it's an ancient wifi technology.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
How do they expect me to use this product when they don't sell any wireless AC radios for the computer?

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I think the naming scheme will confuse consumers, who have learned that with a, b, g, and now n, the further down the alphabet you go the faster the wifi technology. With "ac" I think lots of people will think it's an ancient wifi technology.

I think people will quickly get that two letters are better than one.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

I think that's why you'll see the Gigabit Wifi label on these, instead of 802.11ac.

jW

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Are there any practical tests yet regarding latency? Faster data is always good, but if the latency is poo, then this will put a damper on the affair for me.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Holy batman! This is great for local file transfers and such if you live in an apartment or rent. Otherwise, get the CAT-5e out and start running wires.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
No client though? Shame, as when Buffalo announced their 802.11ac router they also announced a Bridge (WLI-TX4-1300H). I think Netgear’s shipping date should beat Buffalo’s though…

Maltz

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Netgear? Sorry, they've joined Sony on my "never again" list. I had one of their top-end routers (at the time) the WNDR3700. It's been 3-4 years since release, and the thing STILL doesn't work completely right with stock firmware. I got an ASUS RT-N66U to replace it and I'm loving it.

Now if Apple would just release a router with QoS, I'd be all over that!

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
As most of my LAN is wireless, I'd love to see this. I backup all our laptops to a central NAS as well as to the Internet (CrashPlan). Higher wireless speeds on my LAN would help immensely.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Wonderful. That's full of wonder. Too bad there isn't the infrastructure in enough places in the world to support this fully.

There is always the possibility that Apple has some plan because so many of their ideas and technology depend on carriers and providers and they do as little as possible for as much money as possible.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Internet speed is not relevant.. you can't even get 100 mbit in most places.

This is for local speeds... within your own network.. local transfers. Not internet... lol .

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
It's not about internet, it's about moving stuff around your network... including streaming HD videos from one room to the next.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

uh 802.11a is faster than 802.11b.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.