Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that Apple has been negotiating with movie streaming service EPIX for the rights to stream content to the Apple TV set-top box. According to sources, the deal would also extend to future streaming devices such as the much-rumored Apple television set.

epix_screenshot.jpg
Apple, which now sells a $99 set-top box that hooks up to a television set and lets users stream online content from Netflix and the MLB channel, opened discussions with three-year-old EPIX, created by Lions Gate Entertainment Corp, MGM and Viacom's Paramount Pictures.

One of the sources told Reuters that any discussions would apply to its set-top box and also to upcoming devices that stream content.
Sources note that talks between Apple and EPIX remain preliminary and that no deal is expected in the near future. Still, the rumors suggest that Apple is continuing to push forward in its attempts to secure content as it seeks to build a bigger footprint in the living room.

EPIX has an exclusive streaming agreement with Netflix that extends through September, so it seems unlikely that any agreement with Apple could go into effect before that time, but it also remains unclear how the financial situation would shake out for EPIX in adding Apple while Netflix loses its exclusivity.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Bring EPIX Movie Streaming to Apple TV, Potential Television Set

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Anything that gets more content onto Apple TV without a jailbreak is fine by me. :)

jeremymc7

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Of course Apple could just buy out Netflix, pick up all their studio contracts, and start migrating people.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm guessing you would need a subscription to Epix to access the content on Apple TV, so this wouldn't affect the large majority of users.

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Exclusive to Netflix? Why do I have EPIX channel on my Roku box then? Not sure I understand this statement.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I smell some Apple fans. Epix's website interface looks like it's been directly lifted from Safari's "Top Sites" page.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Of course Apple could just buy out Netflix, pick up all their studio contracts, and start migrating people.

Please no.

Competition breeds a good environment for the consumer, big corporations buying all of the competitors leads you to the cell phone market where it's really just AT&T and VZW.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
If anything Apple should buy Hulu so I can get it on my Apple TV.

Last edited:

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Exclusive to Netflix? Why do I have EPIX channel on my Roku box then? Not sure I understand this statement.

maybe they were talking about Netflix being the only Movie type service on the ATV, and if Epix is added it no longer will be the only one?????

But you are correct, Roku already has this channel. Apple would have to make many deals in order to match the Roku selection of channels.

Last edited:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why is it with any article about Apple entering into a deal with another company, it always gets asked.

People ask 'why doesnt Apple just buy them' because most people think that money can solve problems. They see our government model that just throws billions at problems thinking it will solve any problem.

It's smart, well educated, open minded people, working with dedicated teams that solve problems.

Apple has already employeed these people. They don't need to spend money to get people with different agendas.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Anything that gets more content onto Apple TV without a jailbreak is fine by me. :)

Yep. Add more channels and I might switch from my Roku. I love the ATV interface and the ability for airplay, but Roku has so many channels and features (although I don't find myselft playing the games very often).

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Why is it with any article about Apple entering into a deal with another company, it always gets asked.

Because they could easily buy out just about any company they do business with. They have so much cash that people wonder why they even bother partnering with anyone. Why share profits with Netflix? Why not just buy Netflix?

I know it's not that easy, but that's why the question keeps getting asked.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I wish they'd make a TED icon for the home screen. Sure, it's in Podcasts and Netflix, but if TED were on the home screen it would be awesome.

There's more valuable stuff on there than YouTube and Vimeo.

Plus then more people would have their minds enriched.

TED for the home screen! Who's with me?? :D

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Apple needs to add lots to the apple tv, it is seriously disabled. Stop blocking apps from third parties that compete with iTunes
Add:
Vudu, amazon, blockbuster vod. Allow amazon prime streaming
HBO, epix, Cinemax, showtime, starz apps
Sirius/ XM, spotify clients
Allow tv channel like third party apps. To allow Internet tv channels and third party content.

Stop censoring what people can access via apple tv. Allow adults to watch content from whatever legal source they want, including adult content

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I'm guessing you would need a subscription to Epix to access the content on Apple TV, so this wouldn't affect the large majority of users.

But then why would Apple need to negotiate? Epic would be happy to have their app on ATV. They already have their apps for iPhone and iPad.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I wish they'd make a TED icon for the home screen. Sure, it's in Podcasts and Netflix, but if TED were on the home screen it would be awesome.

There's more valuable stuff on there than YouTube and Vimeo.

Plus then more people would have their minds enriched.

TED for the home screen! Who's with me?? :D
Well, yes, I sort of agree. But I'd actually like to be able to group stuff together, a la iOS folders, so I can put video content under one folder. And then eventually by type of video content because I can see how the home screen's going to get pretty cluttered in the future as Apple adds more content partners. Seems like it's headed the iOS route anyways, so I'm not concerned. Just a matter of time.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Here's my problem with streaming. If you have a great internet connection you STILL get hiccups. If you have an average connection, a mere 5 minute cache would solve 90% of the problems.

If you have any sort of wireless or lower connection and want to view any HD content such as 720p or 1080p, you are pretty well screwed.

So. To the extent it uses "streaming" it should have large cache. Like 30 minutes to the full length of all content you want to view that day. This works best with a download and via token scheme. Some tokens are valid for a single viewing (inclusive of rewind/review). Some are 3 day "rentals". Monthly, perpetual, whatever.

I don't like LIVE streaming. I have a place with great internet and FiOS still annoys me as compared to cable or satellite. I have a place with DSL "fast" and it is nearly unusable for streaming to the point even the apple events are choppy at times, a month later. Wireless or dial-up only? Don't make me laugh. I have one of those too. :(

Cache. Local stored content. A hybrid between Apple TV 1 and Apple TV 2. Please. Thank you.

Rocketman

Linky: http://www.google.com/finance?cid=15220351

Last edited:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Cache. Local stored content. A hybrid between Apple TV 1 and Apple TV 2. Please.

How about being able to just plug a 32GB USB thumb drive into an Apple TV for internal storage?

----------

Apple needs to add lots to the apple tv, it is seriously disabled. Stop blocking apps from third parties that compete with iTunes
Add:
Vudu, amazon, blockbuster vod. Allow amazon prime streaming
HBO, epix, Cinemax, showtime, starz apps
Sirius/ XM, spotify clients
Allow tv channel like third party apps. To allow Internet tv channels and third party content.

Stop censoring what people can access via apple tv. Allow adults to watch content from whatever legal source they want, including adult content

Oh sure! That's like asking Ford to offer an F-150 with a Toyota Tundra V8, or Exon to provide a pump at each station with BP gasoline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.