Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning on implementing a new, smaller dock connector, according to a report by iMore. The site has been reliable in the past and correctly predicted the release of an LTE equipped iPad. iMore also reported that Apple is still in the prototyping phase for the next iPhone and that the design is not yet set in stone.

ilounge_iphone_5_dock1.jpg

Despite some rumors to the contrary, according to our sources Apple still hasn't finalized the design of the next generation iPhone 5 (or whatever Apple ends up calling iPhone 5,1). No giant screen. No 16:9 aspect ratio. No metal back.

[...]

Once again we're hearing that if the screen size does change, it won't be by a lot (no larger than 4-inches). We've heard nothing to indicate a planned change in the aspect ratio either way (and such a change still doesn't make much sense to us).
iLounge previously claimed that the next iPhone would have a smaller, redesigned dock connector as well as a 4" screen that is larger in height only -- this would result in an adjustment to the screen's aspect ratio. The iPhone 4's design has served Apple very well, with the company selling millions upon millions of units. It is possible that the company will choose to stick with the successful design, albeit with some minor changes, rather than a wholesale redesign.

Other recent iPhone rumors include a claims that the next iPhone will launch in September; another that it would use the same micro-SIM as current iPhones, rather than a new nano-SIM concept; and that the next iPhone will retain its physical home button -- a claim that iMore reiterates.

Article Link: New iPhone Rumors Reiterate Claims of Smaller Dock Connector, No Change to Screen Aspect Ratio

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
I don't mind if the dock connector is smaller or not, I'd rather they focus on implementing a new Thunderbolt connector for the iPhone (and all iDevices in the future). They need to push on it a bit more, and what better way than with their own products? Make it the standard.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I don't mind if the dock connector is smaller or not, I'd rather they focus on implementing a new Thunderbolt connector for the iPhone (and all iDevices in the future). They need to push on it a bit more, and what better way than with their own products? Make it the standard.

Thunderbolt is not designed to fill the role of USB. It's made to cover the niche market of high speed data transferring such as external SDD's, HDD's, external GPU's/Apple Cinema Display and other things of that nature.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
I can see the iPhone (5) being exactly as the 4 and 4s are in terms of design and in a strange way, demonstrating tremendous corporate confidence in their product by doing so.

As if to say "We have the most ideal design, there is no reason to change."

While people will be disappointed, they will still make billions and billions in profit. So who can really win that fight?

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Well, that would obsolete a lot of very expensive docking devices like speaker systems which can run into the hundreds of dollars. I for one would not be happy, but I really do not see this happening. The Apple connector standard is now ubiquitous in the market from speakers to cars. I just don't see it happening. There is no benefit to Apple and it would slow adoption through upgrade.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Why re-design the dock connector? One thing I like about Apple products is their consistency. How I can use the same dock/charger for my old iPod Classic and new iPhone. Making a smaller dock connector will ruin this.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Thunderbolt is not designed to fill the role of USB. It's made to cover the niche market of high speed data transferring such as external SDD's, HDD's, external GPU's/Apple cinema display and other things of that nature.

Why not implement it to other devices too?

I can only see the price of them being a problem, I guess...

But I'm sure the general audience would see attraction in such high speed transfer of data on their devices, crossing music, films, etc. to their device in a matter of seconds.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Adapters

Well, that would obsolete a lot of very expensive docking devices like speaker systems which can run into the hundreds of dollars.

Adapters. I have SoundFreaq, less expensive than most, and I not once use the dock. Bluetooth and AirPlay will be more than adequate.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well, that would obsolete a lot of very expensive docking devices like speaker systems which can run into the hundreds of dollars. I for one would not be happy, but I really do not see this happening. The Apple connector standard is now ubiquitous in the market from speakers to cars. I just don't see it happening. There is no benefit to Apple and it would slow adoption through upgrade.

And you're just too darned precious to use the adapter that would obviously be available?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I do not see the dock connector changing. It's just too ubiquitous at this point. Maybe Apple will do it but I doubt it.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011

But I'm sure the general audience would see attraction in such high speed transfer of data on their devices, crossing music, films, etc. to their device in a matter of seconds.

Ever heard of USB 3.0?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If they do change the dock connector, I hope it is to a Magsafe design. No more knocking devices off a surface if you catch the charging cable (which is too short anyway).

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I do not see the dock connector changing. It's just too ubiquitous at this point. Maybe Apple will do it but I doubt it.

By that logic, in the next decade, Apple will eventually change everything in the iPhone except the Dock Connector? Doubt it. At some point, Apple will change the Dock Connector. (ex. Look what they did to the Floppy, Legacy Ports, DVD). They aren't afraid to disrupt things.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Wireless

Going forward, I see the 32 pin dock connector as primarily a power port. Everything is wireless now. I haven't plug my iPhone into my MacBook in about a month, and will likely never will again.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Seriously Apple, its 2012, will be nearly 2013 once the new iPhone is release. Its really ridiculous to have a 3.5" or 3.7" screen now a days. I am still going to buy it, but damn, that irks me. Has Johnny been thinking these last couple years?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I like the current design, don't mind if it doesn't change. After all, no other phone looks like the current iPhone. It's symmetrical, simple, and pretty much scratch resistant - though not very tough, which is something I miss from the good old days of Nokia.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hah, if people went crazy when the 4S had the same design, just imagine what they'll do when the next iPhone has the same design.

For the record, I was ok with the 4S design. It's a beautiful phone and I've owned every model of iPhone. But for a third year? That's pushing it a bit. I'd like to see a little bit bigger screen, bring back the tapered sides so it's more comfortable to hold, and make it more resistant to drops and impacts. Keep the same thickness, and if the size increases slightly, use that space for a larger battery.

I mean, if they don't update anything externally, then we're looking at primarily internal changes. 1GB ram? Faster graphics? LTE? Ok cool. But at this point does it make as big of a difference? The 4S screams. And my "faux-4G" is pretty fast as it is. What's the magical element that Apple will be adding to the new iPhone? What other features will set it apart from the 4S?

Possibilities:

• NFC wallet
  • Touch-sensitive home button to multitask
  • FaceTime HD
  • Waterproof enclosure

Can anyone think of any other new tech the iPhone is lacking? What about software? For software I'll repeat John Gruber from today (many of which I've also considered in the past):

• Better inter-app communication, like "Intents" in Android
  • Third-party notification center widgets
  • Third-party Siri apis

But surely the 4S would get these updates too, right?

It's time to update that bottom dock connector. Hah, it's such a relic of the past at this point. Like a giant serial port or something that fills with dust and debris. Sure it's going to suck that it's not compatible with all of our existing stuff, but adapters will be made. The change has to happen at some point. I'd rather it be sooner than later.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

Problem is that the flash is the bottleneck. Thunderbolt at this point wouldn't be all that much faster than USB2.0 because of the write speeds of the flash chips.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Why re-design the dock connector? One thing I like about Apple products is their consistency. How I can use the same dock/charger for my old iPod Classic and new iPhone. Making a smaller dock connector will ruin this.

Thank you! I wrote this in another thread: I was just explaining to my daughter how she can use the car charger, the two computers that a charger in the USB ports, or any of the three a/c chargers we have to charge the two iphones, ipad and ipod we have. I like that. I want to keep that.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Thunderbolt is not designed to fill the role of USB. It's made to cover the niche market of high speed data transferring such as external SDD's, HDD's, external GPU's/Apple Cinema Display and other things of that nature.

Thunderbolt is an i/o standard. It's a competitor to USB 3. Neither Intel or Apple intend it to be a niche connector, though the 3rd party market isn't helping much in that regard. There would be no better way to jump start it's adoption than to put it on iOS devices. Clearly just putting it on Macs isn't enough encouragement.

I can see the iPhone (5) being exactly as the 4 and 4s are in terms of design and in a strange way, demonstrating tremendous corporate confidence in their product by doing so.

Disagree. With exception of Original iPhone to iPhone 3G Apple has at least tweaked the cosmetic design every two years. The next iPhone will not be a mirror image of the iPhone 4/4S. Bank on it.

Well, that would obsolete a lot of very expensive docking devices like speaker systems which can run into the hundreds of dollars.... There is no benefit to Apple and it would slow adoption through upgrade.

Not necessarily. They could easily make an adapter to slip over the dock connector on the accessory. I agree Apple wouldn't make a change just to make a change, but TB would make tethered backups a lot faster and it would save a lot of internal space which could be used either to slim the phone down or increase battery life.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Seriously Apple, its 2012, will be nearly 2013 once the new iPhone is release. Its really ridiculous to have a 3.5" or 3.7" screen now a days. I am still going to buy it, but damn, that irks me. Has Johnny been thinking these last couple years?

No thanks, 3.5" is plenty for me. If I need bigger I'll use my gorgeous iPad. I rather have a smaller, lighter phone than a larger, bulkier, heavier, phone that drains battery more quickly than the smaller model. I'll upgrade for LTE if the screen stays the same size, I'm not so sure if they increase the screen and device size though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.