Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple has placed orders for screens measuring "at least 4 inches diagonally" for the next-generation iPhone, marking a significant increase in size over the displays used in every iPhone model released to date.
Apple Inc., which is expected to launch its next-generation iPhone later this year, has ordered screens from its Asian suppliers that are bigger than the ones used in iPhones since they debuted in 2007, people familiar with the situation said.

Production is set to begin next month for the screens, which measure at least 4 inches diagonally compared with 3.5 inches on the iPhone 4S, the latest phone from Apple, the people said.
Apple is reportedly working with LG, Sharp, and Japan Display (the newly-merged display businesses of Sony, Hitachi, and Toshiba) on the new screen.

iphone_4in_4s_ciccarese.jpg

Rendered mockup of taller iPhone with 4-inch display (left) and iPhone 4S (right)
The Wall Street Journal's report does not specify what aspect ratio the larger display will use, and other rumors have conflicted on whether Apple will maintain the existing ratio or increase the screen's height while keeping the width consistent with existing models.

Update: Reuters has filed its own report making similar claims, although one of its sources seems more firm that the screen will measure 4 inches diagonally, as opposed to the "at least 4 inches" reported by The Wall Street Journal.
Apple Inc plans to use a larger screen on the next-generation iPhone and has begun to place orders for the new displays from suppliers in South Korea and Japan, people familiar with the situation said on Wednesday. [...]

The new iPhone screens will measure 4 inches from corner to corner, one of the sources said.

Article Link: Apple Ordering Screens of 'At Least 4 Inches' for Next-Generation iPhone

Prother

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
If they were to ever change the screen size, they would do it now. It's now or never.

Glumpfner

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
I'm assuming the ratio changes as well then? What solutions will they have for all the apps? Stretched or black corners?

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I know this would be a very popular move, but I'm not sure I like it. I really enjoy the current form factor, and being able to reach the full screen with one hand. I used to say this to defend the iPhone's size before these rumors, and I won't change opinion just because Apple seems to be considering it. I'm sure I'm in minority though, and that this may be the logically "correct" move by Apple.

ikkejick

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Sounds great. I'd like to have a slightly bigger screen. The current iPhone screen is just a bit too small, however, I hope it's not getting much bigger than 4 inch. That 4,7 inch smartphones are just a bit too uncomfortable to hold and operate IMHO.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I am happy with the current size and form factor
But I won't be unhappy with a bigger screen (unless it gets too big)

However, that said, this form factor is really puzzling to me

Prother

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
I'm assuming the ratio changes as well then? What solutions will they have for all the apps? Stretched or black corners?
If they do bump the resolution, which isn't out of the picture since Apple have already heavily advertised their 326ppi (or whatever it was), maybe they'll give a bonus cut to developers for x amount of months for adding compatibility. So for adding "new" display capabilities to their app, Apple only takes 27% of the cut for 6 months.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I can't see Apple expecting all the app developers to rewrite their software for a new aspect ratio - that's just ridiculous. The new screen panels may be 4", but that's likely in proportion with the existing 3:2 aspect ratio, meaning it's both taller and wider.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I call BS.

But you never know...
please Apple keep it 3/2 at least, we'd hate black bars on legacy apps.

An idea would be to stretch screen size from 3.5" to 3,85" : 300ppi (vs 326 now) - still able to use the Retina moniker, +21% screen real estate, same res, same ratio - would even work by shaving off the current iPhone's bezel without needing a bigger enclosure !

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
Apple Will make a virtual Home button . it as simple as that ..

the extra screen height will be a good place to have the multitasking part

The iPhone wont feel higher then the current modell . because of the removal of the home button and just make the iphone

a giant screen ..

because the problem with other phones was in the bottom 40 .... and the current iphone have its issue with its bottom 10 so going 4 inch and make the screen heigher but keeping the phone size will make the iphone what it was supposed to be from the begining ...

"just a giant screen"

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Are they really going to trot out that monstrosity of a mockup every time a new screen rumour appears?!

I'm ALL for a 4" screen but I trust in Apple to ensure it looks nothing like that abomination.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Are they really going to trot out that monstrosity of a mockup every time a new screen rumour appears?!

I'm ALL for a 4" screen but I trust in Apple to ensure it looks nothing like that abomination.

A) i would like to see your mockup
B) it looks almost exactly the same as the iPhone 4 (Which i think apple made...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.