Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory maker Moshi has released a new ultra-thin plastic shell protective case for the 11" and 13" MacBook Air models. This type of plastic case tends to be especially popular among students, protecting their machines from bumps and scratches. Moshi claims its case offers better heat dissipation than competing cases because it doesn't block the rear heating vent.

moshiiglaze.jpg

Many MacBook Air cases offered today feature bulky, obtrusive designs, and are often composed of materials which may not last the life of a device. The iGlaze for MacBook Air is an ultra-thin, stylish case created from the same polycarbonate material that's been proven for durability throughout Moshi's iGlaze line of cases for iPhone, iPad and MacBook devices. The iGlaze is surface-treated with a specialized coating that not only offers better scratch resistance than alternatives, but also accentuates the device's elegant design.
The iGlaze Air cases come in black, white, and translucent, and are available on Moshi's website for $55 and $60 for the 11" and 13" versions, respectively.

Article Link: Moshi Releases Ultra-thin MacBook Air Shell Case

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I'm a glutton for punishment. I like this kind of case and went through THREE Speck cases which all cracked in the same spots. I had a Power Support (I think that's the brand) and it was clear and it was so slick that the laptop would shoot across a smooth surface like an air hockey puck so I ditched that one.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
I DO NOT RECOMMEND any of those shell enclosures. You will DO get a lot of debris between that and MBA, which will scratch your machine all over the place. Having say that, I have not used any of Moshi designs but principle stay the same. I have warned you.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I DO NOT RECOMMEND any of those shell enclosures. You will DO get a lot of debris between that and MBA, which will scratch your machine all over the place. Having say that, I have not used any of Moshi designs but principle stay the same. I have warned you.

I never had this problem with the Speck cases. If they hadn't cracked I would have been absolutely thrilled with them.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Complete rip off for what is, at the end of the day, a lump of moulded plastic, one of the cheapest materials on the planet. Half the price and you may get a bit more interest, but at its current price its for fools.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
i wasn't aware we were on MacAdvert.com

"This type of plastic case tends to be especially popular among students, protecting their machines from bumps and scratches."

Sounds like advertising talk to me.:mad:

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I'm a glutton for punishment. I like this kind of case and went through THREE Speck cases which all cracked in the same spots. I had a Power Support (I think that's the brand) and it was clear and it was so slick that the laptop would shoot across a smooth surface like an air hockey puck so I ditched that one.

+1, no, +2

Had a Speck for a 15" that crack at the rear corners. Just last week had the same happen to my 11" Air. Same area.

Done w/ cases. Going w/ the Wrapsol skin this time to see how that is. Apparently they have a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it.

But man, the bare aluminum on a naked Mac laptop feels nice:)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I have a hardshell by incipio on my 2011 MBA 13'. Some of the tabs to secure it around the MBA have broke, but it still stays on quite well.

To be honest though, I wouldn't be using it if I didn't get it for free. It makes it slightly thicker and slightly heavier, but it's nice having that sense of protection. Common tradeoff I suppose.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
i wasn't aware we were on MacAdvert.com

"This type of plastic case tends to be especially popular among students, protecting their machines from bumps and scratches."

Sounds like advertising talk to me.:mad:
As has been stated numerous times before, we are never compensated for our articles.

This particular quote is directly from my experiences working at an Apple Retail Store. Many, many college students bought shell cases of some sort (albeit, usually at the behest of their parents) to protect their MacBooks.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
I don't get the point in any of these cases.

I carry my laptop around in a neoprene sleeve inside of my bag... but when I take it out to use it I get and use it how it was made - without any silly cases!

----------

jlgolson is right :).

Whether they're buying it for style (too poor for ColorWare ;)) or protection I don't know, but these type of cases are dead common at Uni.

Half the university has base-spec 13" MBPs, and half of them have these silly cases on it.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
By half price I mean around $25-30 for speck case.

That doesn't make any sense. https://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-cases.html lists the speck cases for the MBA at $49.95. That is exactly the $5-10 more that @belise pointed out.

No doubt you can find sources that have the speck cases at a lower price, but odds are equally high that lower prices can be found for the moshimonde cases. In short, if you're comparing prices, please make sure to do an apples-to-apples comparison.

peterjames.org

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Portland, OR, USA
I just love how we are being sold protective cases made of polycarbonate, the same material that PowerBooks/iBooks/MacBooks have been made of for years. And the majority of the target market for these cases would thumb their nose at a plastic Mac portable if one were available side-by-side with an aluminum one.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Why cover up a beautiful Aluminium Design with an ugly case, same for the iPhone, why cover up such a nice design, although for the iPhone I can understand since the chance it gets damaged is much bigger.
I always used Neoprene and works well, as soon as you get it out of the sleeve you most probably won't move it anyway.

Oh, and this is way too expensive for a cheap molded item.

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Epic fail on the price. I'll stick with a speck case for half the price.

teh epicery fail for the win! lol!

Can we at least TRY to have some sense of intelligence on these forums please without resorting to this idiotic garbage?

I agree the price has some "Apple tax" with it but Moshi makes a damn good product. The corners on their cases tend not to bulge out as well.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
teh epicery fail for the win! lol!

Can we at least TRY to have some sense of intelligence on these forums please without resorting to this idiotic garbage?

I agree the price has some "Apple tax" with it but Moshi makes a damn good product. The corners on their cases tend not to bulge out as well.

Can we at least TRY to have some sense of intelligence and write and spell in English?

If you like the product so much buy yourself one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.