Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's report from BGR claiming that Microsoft is planning to launch Office for iPad in November, The Daily follows up by pinpointing the launch date as November 10.
We've learned that the development team within Office Mobile finished its work on the project last month, and the efforts of the design group wrapped soon after. The app is now in the hands of a usability team that appraises software that utilizes the Metro design language for "Metro compliance" and suggests changes as needed. When approved by the team, the app likely will go to Apple for app store approval, which could take a couple of weeks.
office_ipad_icon.jpg

The Daily has been following the Office for iPad story closely, revealing last November that Microsoft was actively working on the project and claiming that it had hands-on time with a prototype version of the app back in February. Microsoft has attempted to deny the reports, suggesting that The Daily is a victim of a misunderstanding about exactly what it has been shown, but The Daily stands by its reports.

Article Link: Microsoft Office for iPad Reportedly Launching on November 10

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
well, if they maintain 100% compatibility with the Mac and PC versions of 2010 and 2011 (hopefully 2007) then it will be a big win for the corporate customers. Now, they need to include LiveMeeting support to complete the Corporate strategy

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
November is a long wait, but...

If the pricing is similar to the iOS iWork apps, and compatibility with desktop Windows/OSX Office is perfect, then I'm sold.

...In fact, I'd probably pay a bit more than I did for iWork if it worked well.

It would also be great if it worked with iCloud, but I'm guessing M$ will be pushing Skydrive instead.... time to open a Windows Live account again... :(

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Good lord november!!! :( ive been using the iwork suite but i must say office will make things much simple and hope icloud or skydrive is in from the start

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
This'll be great to have in the App Store, as long as the price isn't too high. Also it's unknown what apps it will feature, my bet is just the basics. Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Depending on the functionality of the programs (let's hope they're not too watered down, if at all) I can see this being worth a good $19 or $29, or even up to $39 (although that's a bit high maybe for an individual). Any higher than that however and I can see people just buying iWork apps instead.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
Price

Anyone care to make a price guess?

I'll put my vote in for $69.99. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see MS having that kind of hubris, ESPECIALLY with Office (they know tons of "business" users will buy it as a matter of course).

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
PowerPoint for iPod touch can be the ultimate presentation tool if coupled with a Bluetooth remote like the Bluetooth version of the current PR-US2 Keyspan Wireless Presentation Remote
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=517&EID=13372&txtModelID=3904
The presentation in your pocket. Always.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
well, if they maintain 100% compatibility with the Mac and PC versions of 2010 and 2011 (hopefully 2007) then it will be a big win for the corporate customers. Now, they need to include LiveMeeting support to complete the Corporate strategy
I don't know of anyone who actually uses LiveMeeting. I've been on Webex and Join.me conferences but not a Livemeeting presentation for a few years.

We used to use Livemeeting a few years back but then switched to webex for scheduled meetings and join.me for impromptu desktop sharing across offices.

We do use lync though for sharing desktops with remote team members however if they are connected to the same core network.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

I'll put my vote in for $69.99. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see MS having that kind of hubris, ESPECIALLY with Office (they know tons of "business" users will buy it as a matter of course).

I feel like "wishful" could be defined as $19.99 per device when attached to a licensed version of Office.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
This could only hurt the advantage of the upcoming Windows tablets. Unless, Windows charges an arm and a leg for iOS and gives it away on their tablets.

However this is greatly needed.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Great news... I just really hope it is not a "hosted" solution with an app as a frontend, as it will require internet connectivity and most likely a subscription.

I do suspect that it is going to be "hosted"; I just really hope I'm wrong.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Will get it right away!

A big WANT IT sticker from me for that! I don't really care what it costs. I really need native MS Word, Powerpoint and Excel support. Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are nice but it is not the same.

MS might have a bad reputation for antitrust (EU bundling IE with Windows, etc) and other concerns such as my PC needing an antivirus software etc - but let me be clear: In the corporate world, it sets the standard for text, presentation, and spread sheet application. It's like SAP and Oracle - there are competitors besides these two, but for international companies, there is no real other choice.

Beyond that, even in private and educational settings, MS Office is the standard - no matter if Mac or PC.

So, as long as it is below $100 price tag, it's bought on launch day. With a PC Office 2010+ bundle, I would even upgrade my Office 2007 for up to $200 - Lynx is pretty nifty and we use it at work.

Acoustimac

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Big deal?

MS. Had better blow me away (unlike their desktop versions) or this is a non-issue. Personally I find iWorks to be completely satisfactory for the iPad. It does some things (such as convert files to iBook format) that word is incapable of doing. It's also as compatible as it needs to be with Office.

Personally I much prefer Keynote over PowerPoint. The price point for iWorks will also have to be matched for my company to consider it.

ganymedes13

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011

It's kind of pointless to guess since no one one knows how much of the desktop version of Office will be in the mobile versionor if offers any significant features over iWOrk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.