Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced minor updates to its MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines, including upgrades to flash storage, memory and processors.

macbookprofamily.jpg

The 11" and 13" MacBook Air models now include up to 512GB of flash storage, 60% faster graphics, up to 8GB of memory and a 2.0GHz i7 Ivy Bridge CPU. The machines have been upgraded with combined USB 3.0/2.0 ports as well as 720p FaceTime cameras. All MacBook Air models now include 4GB of RAM standard. Pricing remains similar to before, with only the premium 11" MacBook Air seeing a $100 price drop.

The 15" MacBook Pro model include Ivy Bridge quad-core i7 CPU's up to 2.7GHz, a 1GB GeForce GT 650M discrete graphics card, a standard 8GB of 1600 MHz memory, and USB 3.0/2.0 ports. Pricing remains the same at $1,799 and $2,199.

The 13" MacBook Pro includes Ivy Bridge dual-core i7 CPU's up to 2.9GHz. Pricing remains the same at $1,199 and $1,499.

Article Link: Apple Updates MacBook Pro and MacBook Air Models With Minor Spec Bumps

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Nice! Now, how many people are going to complain about "Tim Cook's Apple" despite the fact that we're still seeing Steve Jobs' Apple?

doronbt

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
No Mac Pro!!!!

I think we can say it's quite official,
Apple is a mass-market company and not Pro company.

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
No improved res for the air? Some reasonable spec boosts, but... unfortunately not enough to warrant the upgrade. The GPU is nice, but was really hoping for a res increase.

BobCollins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Sunnyvale CA USA
Optical Drive?

The kept the same case size and product price, did they lose the CD/DVD drive? Maybe they replaced it with batteries?

The store is now up. I found no comment on the optical drive in the tech specs but, looking in the store, it "appears" that the SuperDrive lives.

Last edited:

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I was expecting a little more from this?
design wise I guess the Air is still at the forefront, and they are fairly new so no big deal there.
I was hoping for a small price drop on the base models.

Also no mac pro update?!!!??! How long will we have to wait

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
No refreshed Mac Mini, iMac, or Mac Pro... I'm sure there'll be a silent update by the end of the summer. So just sit tight.

Nice to see the spec updates and BTO options on the MBA now though! HD FaceTime camera and 8GB of RAM :D

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Don't go jumping off a cliff yet. They didn't update the iMac either. There's always the possibility of them updating it with a separate press release later today. The store still isn't back up yet, so there's still hope.

Yeah and if they don't update, then proceed to jump of cliff!

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Would it have been too hard to drop in the same updates for the 17"? Kinda annoying. I guess the "halo" effect from the commercial/professional segment isn't as interesting to Apple as the iPhone "halo" effect.

imMango

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
According to the apple store, the Mac Pro was indeed updated. 9to5 was actually right.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Well, at least no one has to feel bad about buying a refurb previous gen macbook air for a great value.

All you gain here is a slightly better processor and slightly better graphics, both irrelevant for most users.

For "power" users, you get the option of more HD space and memory as well (8GB), so that's good (but only for the small fraction of people who want to use their airs as pros), though I am sure they will be expensive upgrades (the store hasn't updated yet for me, so I don't know exactly).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.