Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shipping estimates for the Retina MacBook Pro continue to slip, with new orders now estimated to ship in 3-4 weeks across Apple's online stores. The slip to 3-4 weeks comes roughly 24 hours after they slipped to 2-3 weeks.

retina_macbook_pro_3_4_weeks.jpg

But while new orders will take some time to arrive, some of those who were able to order their machines soon after the online store came back up on Monday are beginning to see their orders ship. One MacRumors reader passed along his tracking information showing that FedEx has picked up his shipment in Shanghai as it heads for the United States with an estimated delivery date of June 18.

retina_macbook_pro_shipping.jpg

Apple retail stores have reportedly begun receiving display models of the new Retina MacBook Pro, but stock remains in flux. Most stores have yet to receive their shipments and are unsure how many and which models they will be receiving. Supplies will undoubtedly be tight in the early days, but should ease as Apple ramps up production and moves its stocks out to the stores for distribution.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Slip to 3-4 Weeks as Initial Shipments Begin

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
We went to the Apple Store yesterday to check them out and see which model we wanted to get, and they didn't have them out yet!

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
We went to the Apple Store yesterday to check them out and see which model we wanted to get, and they didn't have them out yet!

I'll go to my local Apple Store this weekend -- hopefully they will have both models avaliable to demo.

Madmats

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
When I ordered shipping time was at 5-7 days. The wait is killing me! :)

Me too. I hope it ships within 4 days instead. On Friday perhaps? Hehe. Not sure how these estimated shipping times are handled by Apple though.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I really have to wonder whether this drop shipping from China business really makes economic sense for Apple. I bought an Apple Express last year from Apple and I was shocked that it was drop shipped from China. Since they have to be individually packaged, I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't be more effecient to ship to the U.S. in bulk and then drop ship from here, regardless of whether Apple does it themselves or has FedEx/UPS do it. I wonder how much of the price is shipping cost.

I can understand Apple needing to air freight units to the U.S. at the beginning of a run, when the products are in high demand, but does that make sense when Apple has an ample supply of inventory?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I know this kind of story is common with iOS devices, but I can't recall it ever occurring with a Mac... Is it just me, or has Apple just used a trick they learned with ~$600 products and applied it to a ~$2K product?

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I really have to wonder whether this drop shipping from China business really makes economic sense for Apple. I bought an Apple Express last year from Apple and I was shocked that it was drop shipped from China. Since they have to be individually packaged, I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't be more effecient to ship to the U.S. in bulk and then drop ship from here, regardless of whether Apple does it themselves or has FedEx/UPS do it. I wonder how much of the price is shipping cost.

I can understand Apple needing to air freight units to the U.S. at the beginning of a run, when the products are in high demand, but does that make sense when Apple has an ample supply of inventory?

No offense, but something tells me that Tim Cook, master of global supply chains, clearly has a better idea of what makes economic sense for Apple than anyone on web forums, considering the company's success/margins, largely driven by his work.

spazmonaught

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
waiting...

I ordered mine at 5:30pm ET after the announcement.

Still processing.

Arrrrh the agony of anticipation. (yes - boohoo life is so hard :))

beachball.jpg

Last edited:

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Just woke up to the best email ever! My MBPR is delivering on the 18th as well. The original shipping estimate said "delivers by june 21-june 25." Apples inititial shipping estimates seem to be conservative.

Madmats

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
Just woke up to the best email ever! My MBPR is delivering on the 18th as well. The original shipping estimate said "delivers by june 21-june 25." Apples inititial shipping estimates seem to be conservative.

How many days was it when you ordered? 1-3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.