14 Dead In Human Stampede at the Hajj

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/02/11/hajj.pilgrims.ap/index.html

What really gets me is the fact that this happens all the time. Come on people, get your act together.:rolleyes:

You'd think they'd have figured this out by now and come up with a system to aleviate the crowds and give everyone a chance the throw their rocks. I'm surprised more people aren't hurt by the rock throwing.

So has anyone here ever been to an event that had such a crush of people that injuries or death occur? I know that Soccer seems to be the only other event at which this happens with any frequency.

D

2. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Re: 14 Dead In Human Stampede at the Hajj

We had a public hearing about a proposed new income tax in the county last night... Last time they did this five years ago there where something like 8 arrests.... :rolleyes:

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Well, we are talking about a total of over 2 million people!!!

My understanding from some news sites is that two large groups were walking in opposite directions, one going from point A to B and the other from point B to A.
    As the two groups "met" and people tried to walk around each other, few tripped, and the rest is history.

4. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

14 down....
    millions more to go.
    not all muslims are terrorists....
    but all the terrorists of late are muslim

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well said. Why not just call them "towel heads" while you're at it and lump them in with the "spics" and "n*ggers"? :rolleyes:

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And what chrisfx811 said was factually wrong how? Might not exactly be the most PC comment but it's not wrong. Are all Muslims terrorists? Have recent terrorist attacks (against the US) been carried out mostly by Muslims?

Lethal

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You're actually defending his comment? Ridiculous.

"14 down...millions to go"

Absolutely disgusting.

8. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

because racial slurs, and factual statements are 2 different things. by n!gger$ do you mean blacks? that's just crazy..... militant muslims encompass more than just arabic people. wasn't malcolm x muslim? there was a touch of sarcasm and humor in my statement, unfortunately, it's an unnerving situation when you actually think about it and realize there's truth to it. being p.c. is very ridiculous that way.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

This isn't about being P.C.. It's about a disgusting attitude towards the loss of human life and people of different ethnic backgrounds than yourself.

10. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

nazi's were very different as well. white supremacists are also very different. malcolm x and his black panthers were also different. it is not my fault that the latest group of radical terrorists happen to have the islamic religion in common. why is it ok to label christians and or catholics in today's society, but the moment you cross the line to other groups it is all of a sudden disgusting, racist, etc.? we ridicule our president for referencing god too much in his state of the union address, yet if one were to ridicule the islamic religion today, it is seen as a horrible act. quite funny, in a sad way.
    all emotions and feelings aside.... can you refute my statement that while not all muslims are terrorists, lately all terrorists are muslim?

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Easily. Pro-life advocates who bomb clinics and assualt doctors and patients fall under the umbrella of terrorism quite nicely. And, surprise, surprise: they're "Christian".

My real objection to what you said was your trivialization of the loss of life (any life) and bald-faced condonement of more such senseless loss of life.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you want to look at it in those terms I'm attacking your statements not defending his. He made a rather callous, yet factually correct, remark and you bascially called him a racist because you disagreed w/what he said.

Lethal

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

See above as to how easily proven wrong his statement is.

And callous does not even begin to describe the hatred expressed in his statement...

14. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

these so- called christians, have no basis for their actions that are rooted in the bible. (the book, by which christians should lead their lives)
    however the teachings of muhammed do in fact condone this use of violence, and in fact, they call for followers of allah to fight a holy war.
    even in revelations, when john envisioned the end of the world, God instructs his people not to lose faith, but to endure until such time as he saves them and establishes his kingdom.
    now i am not here to argue for or against christianity, and the people who pretend to be such. however the basis for islam(the teachings of muhammed) do allow for and call for such acts. whereas the bible does not call for christians to take matters into their own hands in this way.

15. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

actually, you did not prove that wrong. what organized group do these "extremists" belong to? you cannot simply bring up isolated incidents carried out by various, non-affiliated people, and because they all have brown hair, or blue cars, or something trivial say they are a terrorist group. see the above post how christian teachings do not allow for these acts, however muhammed calls for it.....
    again not my fault, just facts

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Nice backpedaling...

A religious text can be interpreted in many ways. Just as fundamentalist muslims use the Koran to justify their actions today, Crusaders use the church to justify their actions. You cannot pass judgement on a people based on the actions of a few outliers.

Funny how you neglected to mention how your original statement has been proven factually wrong... :rolleyes:

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

*sigh*

Actually I did prove you wrong. The argument in question is whether or not all terrorists are muslim, not if all terrorists are using religion to condone their acts. Besides which, I've refuted that "fact" as well.

Unless you're going to argue now that the example I cited isn't actually terrorism?

19. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just because the media tends to gravitate on the more sensational items doesn't mean that all terrorist activity lately is perpetrated by muslims. It might be more valid to say that the only thing in the news today is about muslim terrorists.

Not only are there muslim, christian, catholic (Ireland), etc. They all haven't just stopped.

D

20. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

dang it.... the IRA! hadn't heard from them in a while... good citing, thank you.
    and rower: that article hardly sways my views on the life and teachings of the prophet muhammed. i have to get back on my bike and keep pedalling....forward.

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

So what are you basing the assumption on that all muslims are taught to use violence as a means of furthering their religion?

I thought it was simply the fundamentalists interpreting the Koran in a manner that serves their ends...similar to how the Crusaders justified their Holy War...