14" iBook Delivered 7/19 - Custom Bluetooth. My options?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by miked_in_canada, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. miked_in_canada macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2005
    #1
    Hi there, as the topic suggests I am one of the few, the proud, the silly who ordered an iBook recently. I must have broken a record for all time stupidest purchase times, but here we are.

    I was unaware of the iBook rumours and now with the update supposedly scheduled for this Tuesday, I'm a little freaked out.

    I ordered the 14" iBook "customized" with a bluetooth module. Apparently, this negates any possibility of a return. But that's not the point, if a new iBook comes out, I don't want a return, I want an exchange.

    Now therein lies the rub. If sources are to be believed this new iBook is supposed to come out with a standard bluetooth module. Ironic isn't it?

    So now I'm sitting here, well within the two-week received window wondering whether I stand a chance in hell of getting this new model.

    I did speak to an Apple rep on the phone, (who was a bit condescending to tell you the truth) and he did mention that there are "price protections" in place but "no" I wouldn't be able to return it and to call back if some update is made. He said such decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

    Has anyone had a similar situation with Apple? How would you suggest I go about approaching them? Should I go to an Apple Store, talk to them on the phone?

    Thanks for any and all help.
     
  2. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #2
    Did you open the box yet? If you didn't open it, I think you'd stand a fairly good chance of maybe getting some sympathy and having them let you exchange it. I'd try calling back and being persistent. BTW, it's probably useless to call before anything is actually released. Wait till Tuesday and then start calling.
     
  3. miked_in_canada thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2005
    #3
    No box is opened, I've set it up, registered it and played around on it a bit.

    I'm starting to feel really ****** about this purchase now.
     
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #4
    You'll feel better when the rumors turn out to be vaporware. ;)
     
  5. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #5
    I don't think that will happen in this case. It seems all but certain that there will be an update soon (like on Tuesday).
     
  6. thejst macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    Hey- I did the same thing- I got my iBook delivered on Thursday because I got sick of waiting for the new models. I too will be making a call to Apple if new iBooks are released in the next few days.

    I am, however, really happy with my 'book- For what it is- a compact, well designed and speedy computer that I can take anywhere.

    Don't feel bad- the machine you got is a good one- no one knows what the update will bring, anyways! Try and get some recompense from Apple if need be, and enjoy your iBook regardless!
     
  7. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #7
    Mine will be coming soon too. I didn't get an updates one. It will still work just as fine as it would have if they didn't have updates. It's not the end of the world.
     
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #8
    I'm all for it, but it's seemed all but certain that there will be an update soon (like on Tuesday) for a long, long time now. ;) And I do know about the report from ThinkSecret. Don't get me wrong, if it comes true, even if it's just a very minor refresh, I'll be happy about it.
     
  9. skubish macrumors 68030

    skubish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #9
    I just noticed today that all iBooks on the US Apple Store are showing estimated 3-5 days shipping. Could be a promising sign that an update will happen on Tuesday. (please excuse me if this has been posted already).

    Apple is probably just waiting to release the new iBooks as soon as the reduce inventory by selling all the old ones to suckers :)

    Just Kidding, I hope they let you exchange it.
     
  10. wide macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 17, 2004
    Location:
    NYC
    #10
    Sell it on ebay. all considered, you will have lost a few hundred dollars than if you had waited for the new ibooks. the sooner you put it on ebay, the more money you will make for it b/c the new ones have not yet been released.
     
  11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

    mrgreen4242

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    #11
    You could sell it, take a price protection sum from Apple and probably only lose a couple bux if you really want the new one.
     
  12. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
  13. VanMac macrumors 6502a

    VanMac

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Rampaging Tokyo
    #13
    So, why is your purchase stupid? You liked the iBook, you bought the iBook, so now, use the iBook.

    Updates may or may not happen. They may not be that good. They may have issues with them. They may not ship on time. All kinds of factors.

    Use it, enjoy it, and when there is one on the market that suits your needs better, sell this one on ebay and get a new one.
     
  14. joepunk macrumors 68030

    joepunk

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    Location:
    a profane existence
    #14
    That's percisely what I say. Enjoy it for what it is worth. How much of an update to the iBook line could there be to warrent waiting and waiting and waiting. It is after all a rumor.

    I was feeling somewhat the same when I originally wanted a 17" PB but the lady on the phone thought I said 15". Everything else was what I had ordered except for the screen size. After a few hours/days I was completely happy with the 15" as it can fit into any bag I want to use.

    Like what was said enjoy it
     
  15. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2005
    #15
    As the other guy said, sell it on eBay, and call Apple when the new ones come out around Tuesday. They will give you back about 1-200 dollars. On Ebay you will probably lose about $300 Max meaning you wont lose much money at all, about $100. The updates on the new iBooks are well worth over $100. Is it a hassle? Yes. Is it worth it in the end? Defianatly. You will get a computer that will last you a much longer time.
     
  16. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #16
    Why would they give back 1-200 dollars? Don't they only give price protection if the PRICE actually changed?
     
  17. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #17
    Yes, but they will drop the price on the old models while they have them. That should mean, on Tuesday when you walk into the Apple store they will have new units at the current pricing, and then the old models discounted. I don't think it will be $200, but maybe $100.
     
  18. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #18
    OMG, sweet. I ordered an old one. I hope I get it before they update it so that I can get money back!
     
  19. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #19
    Do you know if yours is actually enroute? As I recall you ordered maybe a week to ten days ago, right? Right before the talk of updated iBooks got real serious.

    So, first, you need to know the price protection policy from Powermax (we were talking about the Apple store price protection). Powermax may just say, it was $xxxx when you ordered, tough. Second, there is a good chance your unit didn't ship yet and you will get an updated model. Unless you have a tracking number in hand, I'd assume this is the case.
     
  20. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #20
    I ordered when it was 7-10 days BTO, so it's taking it's sweet little time in there. PowerMax says they go with Apple's 10 day price protection!
     
  21. WeeShoo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #21
    Well since the prices are the same, I would feel kinda stupid too, but if they were different I wouldnt care.
     
  22. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #22
    You're getting a new one :). Just my opinion. The 7-10 days I think marked the point when Apple probably stopped shipping. It would really suck if you got this one on Monday or Tuesday (I'd honestly raise holy hell if that happened).
     
  23. corywoolf macrumors 65816

    corywoolf

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    #23
    no core image support vs. core image support.... I think I would much rather have a new ibook, but it is a nice machine regardless.

    have fun, don't set any drinks near it, long story.....

    let me just say a few words:

    -brother
    -new powerbook
    -ditzy girl
    -spilled drink
    -goodbye apple care
    -hello $1000 repair

    ;)
     
  24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2005
    #24
    allow me to attempt to clairify the most important thing the guy at apple said to you "He said such decisions are made on a case-by-case basis" these words mean everything and are all important.... listening... it means if you are a big enough pain in the ass apple will reward you with a new computer with all the new upgrades, if you want it threaten to never buy their product again say that you will tell everyone you know not to buy apple products. Raise enough hell and I am confident that you will be able to grab the newest model :eek:
     
  25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2005
    #25

    HAHAHA I read that story like a year ago somebody asking if applecare was worth it... you said no :)
     

Share This Page