14" iBook or 12" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JarinS1, Oct 13, 2004.

1. JarinS1 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm looking at jumping into the Apple world and have heard the following... A 14" iBook is better (considering price/value) than a 12" PB for the activities listed below:

-novice video/photo editing
    -GarageBand
    -intermediate Dreamweaver
    -watching DVDs
    -novice games

Is this true???

JS

2. dav macrumors 6502

12" iBook > 14" iBook

They have the same resolution, you really are not getting more screen space.

For what you are doing, I would say 12" iBook with extra RAM (this perhaps?)

3. themacman macrumors 6502

4. dav macrumors 6502

Well, I wouldn't say "for shure" [sic ;)]. How much are you willing to spend? Besides, the iBook has some pros over the powerbook anyway (Battery Life, Better AE reception, Shiny White Plastic :p)

Both machines wil be able to handle what you throw at them, minimal differences for light video editing, etc.

What are you using garageband for? The powerbook has an Audio In if you plan on recording with guitars and such.

Just some food for thought

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Get the 12" PowerBook. It is faster than any of the iBooks and has the same screen res (1024x768) so the bigger screen doesn't mean crap on the iBook. And the 12" PB has the mighty useful audio line in for guitar input in GarageBand that the iBooks don't have (you'd have to get a USB interface). Plus, the PowerBook is smaller and lighter, more resistant, and has a Tiger CoreImage-compatible video card with twice the video RAM of the iBook.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that's just considering actual comp. in terms of value, comparing the 1.2ghz ibook to the 12" pb it's only 100 bucks more for the pb and that gets you 133mhz faster proc, 33mhz faster fsb, twice the graphic memory and a better gpu, builtin bluetooth all in 1.4lb less weight so i'd go for the 12". personally i think the 12" ibook is the sweet spot in apple's entire line including emac and imac because it's just the right balance of price, performance, features and portability and it looks almost as good as the original ibook.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The powerbook has a dvi out, and it would let you use a extra screen.
    (Its possible to do it on a ibook too, but you need to use a hack.)

Whenever you choose an ibook or a poerbook, be sure to get an another 512 mb ram stick to bring it up to 768mb ram. It runs MUCH better with 768 mb compared to 256 mb..

8. JarinS1 thread starter macrumors member

Wow. Thanks for all of your help. I do plan on using a guitar for GarageBand. I didn't realize that the resolution is the same for both the 12" and 14". I'll be sure to expand the RAM to 768. Again, I really appreciate the help everyone.

JS

9. dav macrumors 6502

So if you are using a guitar, powerbook it is!

Good luck friend!