14' Ibook or wait for new PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mussolini, Sep 20, 2005.

1. mussolini macrumors newbie

I have $2000 and its buring a hole in my pocket! I do *minor* video editing in school - do i get the ibook 14 pimped out with ram and the free mini, OR wait and get the new PB 12' , whenever that might be..... I've been seeking unregistered advice on this site for 6 mo now, and I STILL have no idea what to do........ my credit card is locked, loaded, and ready to go....

2. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Well if the updates come it looks like they MAY phase out the 12" PB. But I am starting to have doubts about the updates... :(

3. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

I am buying a new PB as soon as I get my $1000 refund from my college. Whether new ones are out or not, however I do hope new ones are out.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Get a 14" iBook. I do more than just minor video editing and it does GREAT. And that's with 1.5GB RAM.

Get the 14" I love mine to death. :)

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

get the 12" pb.....look u had people waiting for the paris expo, and look nothing got updated. they were all just rumors... like we say here, if u need it now, buy it now, if u wanna wait, then wait. IMO i wouldnt like to buy a rev A intel pb...so if u wanna wait till JUNE be my guest....i bought mine aug 28, 2005, and even though i heard of the possible updates, I SAID F IT...and im glad i did...(got the free mini)...

6. mussolini thread starter macrumors newbie

[QUOTEi bought mine aug 28, 2005, and even though i heard of the possible updates, I SAID F IT...and im glad i did...(got the free mini)..

Yeah - I'm gonna wait until at least tomorrow though....

7. California macrumors 68040

California

Get a 14" ibook. Stuff it with fastest speed ram. Sell it when you see the powerbook you want and switch out the ram. I love my 14" iBook.

8. mussolini thread starter macrumors newbie

That is so good.... where is the best RAM????? how much $$$$ to go to 1.5?

9. California macrumors 68040

California

I've been very lucky with new ram on eBay. I got Kingston top of the line ram (their ValueRam doesn't work well on Macs) for my old line of Titianum Powerbooks. But since I've purchased three ibooks recently, two new and one mint slightly used, I realized that Apple puts Samsung ram in their new machines OEM. So I found some sellers on eBay who got me Samsung new ram pretty cheap. A 266 rated iBook runs up to 333 (backwards compatible) and I got 2700pc ram, even tho it says it is 266/2100pc, which works in current line of PBs as well. Check out the 333/2700 new Samsung -- has been brilliant for me
    around $145 shipped with insurance for one gig. (Always get insurance on eBay purchases).

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I dunno, a 14 foot iBook sounds awfully big... :p

11. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

12. mussolini thread starter macrumors newbie

lol ..Hey, I'm from Canada - we use metric - it was a two horse race between ' and " ...... I guess I lost...