14 iBook+SDrive OR 12 PBook SDrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dirty Harry, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Dirty Harry macrumors member

I had deceided to buy a new 14 iBook if it came with a SuperDrive and was happy to see it has the option now. But its price gets realy close to a 12 PBook with SDrive (about 200 Euros) and I am not so sure anymore...
    I'll use the laptop for surfing the web, Photoshop, but also some miniDV editing with Final Cut Express and basic DVD authoring with iDVD.
    I realize the PB performance should be much better (1.2 vs 1.33 Mhz, bus speed etc), but since I was in love with the iBook first, I would like to ask a few questions:
    -the video card: I read people don´t like very much the Nvidia, I even read the ATI 9200 is better, but is this true with the new PB's 64 Mb video Ram?
    -performance: from 1.2 iBook to 1.33 PowerBook, is it worth it?
    -the screen: I know both screens have the same resolution, but is the 12" confortable to use with apps with so many windows as FCExpress or Photoshop?
    -wich laptop is sturdier?: I will be traveling A LOT with it. iBook is plastic, but for the same reason I don´t care so much if it gets scratched.
    Thank you all for your kind help!
    Christian

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hi there,

In your case, I'd probably go with the iBook. You'll be happy because I'm sure this is what you wanted to hear :D . But seriously, here are my reasons:

1. As for the graphics card, you should be fine with either one. I have the older version 12" (can't believe I just wrote that!) and I have no problems playing a few games on it, so it should be ok with photoshop.

2. You will not notice a performance difference between 1.2Ghz and 1.33Ghz.

3. If you plan on doing some editing without an external display, the 14" is better.

4. The iBook is probably better for traveling too as it is sturdier being made out of plastic. There's no issues for either as far as portability between a 14" and a 12" goes.

In your case, I'd save the money and buy the iBook. Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
    JOD8FY

3. Dirty Harry thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help, JOD8FY. I am ordering the 14 iBook 1.2 GHz + SuperDrive and 768 RAM tomorrow. It looks even better than the previous 12 PBook that was selling just a few weeks ago! :)

Christian

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, I'm sure you will love the ibook, but I think the PB is the better choice.

1) the PB has a better card. People debate which is better at 32 MB, but when one has 64 and one has 32, the choice is clear.

2) .13 Ghz processor difference, but 167 mhz bus to 133. That matters too. So I think there will be performance difference, especially where the graphics card matters (see above).

3) what does it matter whether the screen is 12" or 14" for editing when they are the same resolution? Also, the PB screen is higher quality. The ibooks still use TFT XGA, as did the old 12" PB. the new 12" PB uses the same screen as the big powerbooks. It should be brighter and crisper.

4) the ibook does win on durability. The PB won't scratch and the ibook will, but you said you don't care about that. And as far as impacts go, ibook will withstand that much better.

I had an ibook 900, and sold it to buy this 12" PB 1 Ghz. I can tell you, there's no comparison. And I don't just mean speed, which is clearly better with the G4. The PB is just so much nicer... try them both out and i think you'll see what I mean.

5. Dirty Harry thread starter macrumors member

Thanks QCassidy352, however I already ordered the iBook today!

The key factor has been the screen, 14 vs 12. Resolution might be the same, but comparing both today in the shop (it was a 14 iBook 933 Mhz and a 12 Pbook 1 Mhz), though the 12 PB was crisper, biger icons on the 14 IB seemed "easier" to watch. I thought "easier" becomes important as hours pass by cleaning images details on Photoshop or selecting and reselecting items in FCExpress...

Yes, PB will be somewhat faster, but I thought that while you do renders from time to time, you watch the screen ALL the time. You are comparing not only 900 Mhz iBook vs 1 GHz PB, but also g3 and g4, and iBook is G4 now. I believe the present 12 iBook 1 GHz is "identical" to previous 12 PB (including bus speed). So, 1.2 iBook should be even better!

As for the video card, well, let's hope it will be enough for 1024x786... I won´t use external monitors that often. I would be buying a desktop then!

iBook is sturdier than PB? Well, that's good!

Anyway, iBook 1.2 or PB 1.3, they will both feel equally outdated in 3-4 years!

Christian

6. Dirty Harry thread starter macrumors member

Ah! A new question... I will be editing some miniDV. Is it a good idea to format the hard drive into two blocks, so I use one ONLY for video? I know it would be still one hard drive realy, but I was wondering if it would be good to make sure the video segments are all together and not too fragmented with all the other stuff...

Thanks!
    Christian :rolleyes:

7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I edit a lot of video on my powerbook, and never segmented the disc. As of now, I have about 65gigs of video and 10 of music with no issues. If you're going to be doing anything short of professional editing, you won't have a problem.

8. dying2live macrumors newbie

super drive question

Hi sorry about this kinda offtopic newb question. Can i buy a movie and copy it onto a blank DVD? Or is it copy protected? (the copy would only be a back up of what I already have ;)