14" iBook seem popular...at least with the college crowd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lorkp, Aug 3, 2005.

1. lorkp macrumors member

Everyone seems to love the 14" iBooks despite much bashing here on the forums.... I went to the apple store yesterday with my mother to pick up my computer for college! A girl I knew from school was trying to pick up 14" iBook and the guy at the counter said that they were all sold out. The way the guy was talking about the 14"ers gave me the impression that they have always been a very popular item and were now especially in high demand because of school starting up soon. 2 out of the 3 friends that have gotten apple laptops have gotten the 14". However I do agree with everyone that the 12" makes more sense. I'm just surprised they are so popular.... Anways, I was there to pickup my 12" PB superdrive but left empty-handed because I didn't have a picture ID necessary to get the student discount! d'oh!

2. nels0360 macrumors member

That sucks. Make sure to get the free ipod mini that comes with it. I have a 1.33 Ghz PB 12" and it's a great machine.

3. persianpunisher macrumors regular

I am in dilemma, either a 14" iBook or 12" PB Superdrive. The ibook is less, and I can get one with 100GB hard drive, 1GB RAM for about the same price as teh PB

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll always sing the praises of the 14". I have one and love it. I know, I know-bigger pixels. But I have no use for smaller pixels if I'm straining to see a 12" screen.

5. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I was going to get the 12" iBook, but after looking at it at the Apple store, I found the 14" provided a very clear screen, not like the many people on this forum that complain about its screen. The 14" is being ordered right now.

6. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I'm typing this up on a 12" ib and the small screen was kinda hard at first but I'm adapting (I'm also trying to adpat to this new OS as well....but it's very hard so far)

7. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Yep I too -- a college student -- have a 14'' and I have never regretted getting it. The screen on the 12'' is too small especially for watching DVDs and the price bump for a PB is way to large. The 14'' just makes sense!

8. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

my sister bought a 14" iBook for college a couple days ago. The guy at the main apple store said they were sold out completely of 14" Earlier in the day they even had 4 of the older ones and those sold too. There was only one left at our secondary Apple Store so they put it on hold for us

9. WillMak macrumors 6502a