14" Ibook v.s 12" or 15" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JCorn2, Jul 15, 2004.

1. JCorn2 macrumors member

Hey everyone...
    I am going to be a student next year who requires a laptop. Apple is definatley the brand and I just need advice as to which model to choose. I appreciate any help I can get and here are just a few things to keep in mind...

1. I will need at least a 60GB but would prefer an 80
    2. I plan on upgrading to 768mb of RAM at least.
    3. I will be playing games (UT2004, Halo, Command and Conquer, etc)
    4. Size and portability are an issue being in a dorm room
    5. I will be using garageband and other processor intense tasks frequently
    6. Cost is a factor so as always... cheaper is better

Thanks so much for your help,
    Joe :confused:

2. lazymuoio macrumors member

Powerbook

if you are using garageband and playing games i recommend the powerbook now which model i cant help- you with but id go with the 12in its easier to carry and smaller as well as cheaper go for that

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Since you mention games, I would say that the choice would be the 15" and maybe with teh upgraded VRAM to 128mb based on comments in other threads.

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

NOTE: The following response was typed today in another thread, but I'll post it here because it's also relevant.

--------------

Okay, I'm going to make this lengthy as I will copy it and save it for future reference.

I am a Graphic Design (Art Major, Graphic Design Emphasis) student at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. I have been operating for the first two years of my college education with a 400MHz G3 iMac DV (768MB RAM, 30GB external HD). To tell you the truth, it was okay. Not fast, but okay. I had been saving up to buy a new computer, and in March (3 weeks before a new revision) bought myself a 12" iBook 800MHz G4 (I added BT and AE). My logic was as follows: I was doubling my clockspeed, going from 768MB RAM to just 640MB (but the new RAM is faster) in addition to making a "processor jump" from G3 to G4, I was only 200MHz shy of the PB (at the time) *plus* I was upgrading from an 8MB video card to a 32MB video card. (Not to mention I was adding AE and BT and still it was cheaper than the Rev. B 12" PB.) So, I was getting most of the functionality for less cost. Also, the iBooks get better battery life, and are more durable. (That's what my research had told me)

So I bought the iBook. I was happy... or so I thought.

After just 3.5 months, I sold the iBook (and my iMac) and funded the purchase of a new Rev. C 12" PowerBook. And I have to tell you, It was a *very* wise move. Not only does the additional processor speed help with 2D work, but the video card doubled *again* to 64MB and I know that will help with speeding the OS up, in addition to the small amount of 3D work that I will be doing. The PowerBook is a much nicer machine all around. It's smaller, lighter, the keyboard is *much, MUCH* better (and I was completely fine with the iBook keyboard, in fact, I loved it!), battery life isnt' much less, and the whole thing is faster than I could have imagined with just the stock 256MB RAM. Now that I have an additional 512MB on it's way, I am very excited.

So, in short, I would have been able to save myself time, money, and stress if I had just gone with the PowerBook the first time around in March. But I'm glad that I waited, because now, AE, BT are included and standard. While I spent time carefully selecting my iBook configuration in March, when I bought my PowerBook, I walked into the local Apple Store, and bought the stock configuration.

I would reccomend nothing less than a 1Ghz G4 for anyone doing serious Graphics work. And I dont' mean "serious" as "intensive", I mean "serious" as "important, crucial" work towards your goals.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I wish the PowerBook would just go G5 already so there is a more definitive difference between the two 'books, then we can minimize the number of iBook vs. PowerBook threads.

6. kelvinz macrumors member

my suggestion to you is to not buy a Mac.

based on what you want.

7. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

if your going to do heavy gaming i think you should consider a gaming latop (Alienware or Dell) but if itsw just single plaayer and have fun type then go with the Powerbook. You dont need that much space, you could always save your work on DVD's or CD'd. They are very cheap. Just get a normal hard drive and get 10 DVD's (which = about 45 GB).

8. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

I was in this position for a few months. I don't care about gaming at all, but I wanted something that would make my transition from this here Pismo smooth.

I chose the 15/1.33/4200 with 768 ram. No backlit.

The keys:
    Bigger screen
    Still quite portable, and lighter than the 14-inch Pismo/iBook
    EXCELLENT AirPort reception (don't believe the iBook hype)
    Standard Bluetooth (don't have to buy through Apple to get it)
    Better keyboard
    Will be fully compatible with Tiger

I got a refurb plus AppleCare for $1,959. I thought it was one hell of a price.

Still waiting on it to arrive. But that's how I arrived at my decision.

9. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I was struggling with the same decision earlier today, I had about 1500 dollars to spend (got rid of my iBook 800 so I had that money towards it). I was looking at the 14" iBook, and the 12" PowerBook. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the G3 iBook, was the best computer I ever owned, but when you put the 14" iBook next to the PB, it really looks like a toy, maybe because of the size, I didn't get the same feeling from the 12".

I ended up purchasing the 12", and in its limited use so far, I absolutely love it. I'm a student too, and I wanted something that would get me through my studies. Because I'll be commuting to grad school, I wanted the smaller laptop, and I figured the extra .33 GHz over the 12" 'book was necessary.

If you have the money, and size isn't a problem however, I'd think about the 15" AlBook, it's a beautiful machine.

MP

10. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

with Edu. pricing, the 12" pbook and ibook are pretty much identical in price, making the pbook the clear winner in price v.s. value.

make sure you use edu. pricing (since u r a student) as it will drop the pbook by $200.

11. JCorn2 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

Hey everybody,
    Thanks so much for the help. In the end, I have chosen the 12" PB for its size and power. I appreciate all the input that helped with the decision!

Sincerely,
    Joe