14" ibook vs. 12" pb combo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Gmac07, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Gmac07 macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    ok im also still stuck in between ibook and powerbook. now im trying to see the benefit of the 12" PB combo vs. the 14" ibook. im mainly concerned with hooking up to an external monitor (without any hacks) and some future video editing projects. For the PB i could easily get a plextor ext DVD drive that would blow the superdrive out of the water. the way i look at it is that with an ibook im stuck with the regular display because im not messing with any hacks. with the 12" pb i could hook up any ext monitor. how much difference will the 5400rpm drive make vs. the 4200rpm? also to keep in mind is that i already have a 512mb chip that will fit in any of the laptops. so that makes the ibook 1 GB vs the PB 768mb. this is the only thing i hate about the 12" PB. also how much better will video editing be on the 64mb vram vs. the 32mb???
  2. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I can't answer most of your questions... obviously, if you want to span w/out a hack than the PB is the lappy for you. Also, the VRAM will impact your video editing if you are also spanning at the same time; if I recall correctly, spanning slices your VRAM in half? So the iBook using a hack, would only have 16 VRAM operating...

So why not grab the PB in my sig? ;)
  3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Get the PB beacuse of the VRAM and also the 5400RPM HD. It doesnt make a huge difference but on Barefeats it did show speed improvement compaired to the iBook's HD.
  4. Gmac07 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    yea right now im liking the 12", the only thing that still bugs me tho is the 256mb built in. do you think that this could see an update in the next 2 months???
  5. RooX macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2005
    Well the PB comes with 512, only 256 is soldered to the board. so you can still up it to 1.25 which is just fine for 99% of everything. 512 is a good starting point for most things though.
  6. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2005
    If an external monitor is at 1280 res with 16mb...it should be fine...I think.
  7. TheSisko macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2005
    Also, consider that the PB has 128-bit bus on the GFC, while the iBook has 64-bit.
  8. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    GO with the powerbook. The HD 5400RPM makes a big difference and it would seem that you could really use the 64MB VRAM and external monitor. I'll tell you right now 32MB of VRAM is the worst part about my iBook.......
  9. Gmac07 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    yea i think im closing down on the 12in. at first i had my heart set on the 15in but i just went to compusa and i just couldnt picture bringin it to class everyday, it would be too much of a hassle. the 12in has pretty much the same power and when im in my apartment i can just hook it up to a nice big lcd WITHOUT any type of hack needed. i guess 256 built in isnt that big of a killer. i just plan on doing some video editing but i dont think that 1.25 to 1.5 isnt a huge difference in speed.