14' ibook vs 15' pb and apple refurb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cmv, Jun 22, 2004.

1. cmv macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2004
    I'm trying to decide on my next purchase, and it'll be either a 14'' ib or 15'' pb. The main concerns are price, durability and battery life. In both cases I'll get the combo drive and apx and the same memory (512mb). I'm currently using a TiBook 15'' which unfortunately I can't keep (not really mine), so I'm used to the bigger screen. On the other hand the price difference (about $400 with education pricing) is large enough to make me wonder if I really need the extra screen space. As for durability, I will carry it with me almost everyday, but I do take care of them well (had the TiBook for 1.5 yrs, and no noticeable scratches, dents, paint peeling off, etc.). Another possibility is getting a refurb pb from the apple "special deals" page, that would save me about $100... anyone have any experience with those?

Suggestions? And should I wait at all for June 28?
  2. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    Considering it's so close, you may as well wait for June 28 :)

To address your concerns:

1. Price - obviously, the 14" iBook has the better price by far.

2. Durability - tougher call, but a lot of people around here have been saying that the iBook case is very durable (but may crack), whilst the Powerbook case tends to dent. Quite frankly, I would never think of putting my Powerbook through anything that might result in that kind of damage (and you seem to be of the same mind), but if it's still an issue for you, I guess they're both fairly good with the iBook a little in front.

3. Battery life - I've posted on this elsewhere, but obviously the 14" iBook is going to have a far superior battery life. I've not done tests on it myself, but I'd guess that it might do about 5 hours fairly well. With the 15" Powerbook, I've found that on conservative (but still effective) use, it can go for around 3.5 hours. Others have found that when on high performance, this can be as little as 2 hours.

4. Screen size - if you're used to the 15" screen, and this is important to you, then don't expect wonders from the 14" iBook, because it has the same resolution as the 12" screens - 1024 x 768.

5. Refurb - I've bought several refurb products and they've all been terrific. Given your requirements, if you can get a refurbed 1GHz 15" AlBook and APX, you'll have done very well.

Good luck!