Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
Sorry about the enigmatic title but I couldn't think of a better way to describe it.

My 14" iBook 1ghz has had a weird issue for about a week now. There is a certain spot on the screen in the lower right-hand corner where it just will not "click". It especially happens in safari, but I've noticed it in all browsers and apps. This happens in about a 2 inch square. For example, if I'm browsing the internet and there's a link I want that happens to be in that area of the screen, the cursor is a mouse pointer instead of a hand and will not click to activate that link. In order to get that link I have to move the whole safari window or scroll down until the link is in another part of the screen.

I have restarted the whole computer and just started following the maintenence routine in this month's Macworld mag, (repair permissions, verify prefs, etc etc) and nothing has helped.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? I have not installed any new software or updates that could be the culprit.

Thanks.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Did you turn on:
'Hot Corners' in System Preferences-->Desktop & Screen Saver or
'Active Screen Corners' in System Preferences-->Expose

Also, did you install any new trackpad drivers such as SideTrack?

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
Oh! Oh!

I didn't have Onyx, but a co-worker did install Cocktail 3 weeks ago already to show me all the "neat hidden things" you can do. I turned the "minimize desktop" feature off and it seems to be working super-duper now. I didn't associate the two at first because I noticed the problem so long after installing Cocktail.

Applespider, you're my hero! :)

(though the thought of turning my well-used 'book back to Apple for an unexplainable problem was rather appealing to me...ah well. Life goes on :p )

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
A lot of those fixer/utility apps enable stuff that is currently off for a reason...because Apple decided that it was too unfinished to release. Use 'em at your own risk. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.