Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With just over a week left in the month of July that is expected to see the launch OS X Mountain Lion, 9to5Mac reports that Apple has officially distributed the final version of OS X Mountain Lion to members of its AppleCare support team. The company has provided employees with Mac App Store download codes to allow them to install the forthcoming operating system on their main work machines.
AppleCare representatives have been testing OS X Mountain Lion on special Macs and via remote computing for the past few weeks, but today's news marks that the OS X Mountain Lion Golden Master seed has been supplied to representatives to be installed on their main work Macs.

The OS was supplied today to all AppleCare employees via a Mac App Store redeem code. Employees who have installed the build have confirmed that their seed is build 12A269, the same build provided to developers on July 9th.
mountain_lion_applecare_download.jpg

Apple has yet to announce an exact launch date for OS X Mountain Lion beyond "July", but it appears that it could be targeting this Wednesday, July 25, with an announcement perhaps coming on the company's earnings conference call the day before. Apple used a similar launch strategy last year for OS X Lion, announcing as part of the introductory remarks for its earnings conference call that the operating system would launch the following day.

Article Link: OS X Mountain Lion Distributed to AppleCare Representatives Ahead of Public Launch

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Great—but no matter what company the product is from, I’d rather wait for the first... or better yet second... point update. Public release is always a bigger test than any prior test. I want that benefit!

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Was kinda hoping they had put in some last minute tweaks to improve the animation lags we've been seeing on the Retina MBP (ML GM). Looks like they didn't tweak the GM any further.

I guess rMBP owners can just hope Apple isn't done optimizing the graphics processing capabilities of the OS and will release ML updates soon.

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
I just got the new Macbook Pro with retina display not too long ago, I know in the past they've done some free OS upgrades for people who've purchased their products within a certain timeframe. Will they be doing this for people like me?

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I just got the new Macbook Pro with retina display not too long ago, I know in the past they've done some free OS upgrades for people who've purchased their products within a certain timeframe. Will they be doing this for people like me?

Well, you get ML free but you prob know that. Updates are usually free whereas new operating systems do have a slight cost but it's usually just $20 - $30.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009

Anyone that bought a new Mac after June 11th gets Mountain Lion free.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
So it begins... the next big hit on servers and data centers for Apple; hope they are ready.

I hope that it also includes updates for iWork as well because my credit card is ready to be charged when they arrive :D hopefully if it arrives Tuesday/Wednesday, I move into my new place on Monday next week and have my internet all hooked up then. Hopefully iWork refresh will be out with the expansion of iCloud services. What will be interesting is where 10.9 and 10.10 occurs - are we going to move to rolling releases where maybe the next release is free since the 30% cut taken from developers via the AppStore is probably more than enough to fund Mac OS X development.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I hope that it also includes updates for iWork as well because my credit card is ready to be charged when they arrive :D hopefully if it arrives Tuesday/Wednesday, I move into my new place on Monday next week and have my internet all hooked up then. Hopefully iWork refresh will be out with the expansion of iCloud services. What will be interesting is where 10.9 and 10.10 occurs - are we going to move to rolling releases where maybe the next release is free since the 30% cut taken from developers via the AppStore is probably more than enough to fund Mac OS X development.

People are often under the mistaken myth that Apple makes $$ from their 30% cut. The 30% that Apple charges on the iTunes Store (music, movies, apps, etc), and Mac App Store just covers overhead. It is break even to a minimal profit. They do it because it helps them sell gobs and gobs over iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. It is less than 3-5% of their profit.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
MMMMMMM
I already downloaded a torrent anyway to test it. Don't worry; I erased it after trying it once. I'm seriously considering buying it when it comes out.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
What I'm curious about is - since I got my Air at the end of June, it makes me eligible for the free ML update. After its release, if I find a need to use the Internet Recovery feature, would I get Lion or ML?

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
awesome no word on the imac... im fudged

Yeah this is pretty much why I said screw it and bought a MacBook Pro. Stuck it in a BookArc, connected it to an external monitor, and called it a day. God only knows when they are going to get around to giving their non-mobile line some love.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Does anyone happen to know how many days after this occurred last year Lion was released?

EDIT:
This is significant because, as 9to5 points out, the last generation of OS X, Lion, was seeded to AppleCare reps two days before it went out to the general public.

Definitely looking at this week then. Perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.