Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage32.png

Apple has issued a system management controller (SMC) update for the MacBook Pro with Retina display, enabling Power Nap support in OS X Mountain Lion.
This update fixes several sleep/wake issues to improve the stability of MacBook Pro with Retina display (Mid 2012) computers and is recommended for all users running OS X v10.7.4. It also enables Power Nap support for users running OS X v10.8 or later.
The update is available via Apple's software download webpage, Software Update for those under OS X Lion and via the Mac App store for those with OS X Mountain Lion installed.

Article Link: Apple Enables 'Power Nap' for Retina MacBook Pro With SMC Update

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
And this is why I don't buy brand-new stuff. It's better to just wait a little for all of the fixes.

Last edited:

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Holy crap! I just applied the update and the fans spinning up to maximum scared the crap out of me!

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
And this is why I don't buy brand-new stuff.

I'm filled with regret every time I gaze into the beautiful display of my rMBP. Luckily I can keep the lid closed while it does awesome **** for me now.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
So, I have already downloaded and installed the SMC Update. On my Retina MacBook this caused a major pink screen issue. I have posted on the Apple Forums about it here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4146958

If anyone has any thoughts or has a similar issue, please respond to that thread.

MBPR 2.3ghz/16GB/256GB

I just checked out the screenshot in that thread. Wow. Im glad the MBA update didn't do that. Hope you get it fixed asap.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Wish this could be enabled for recent MBP's. I don't see what (major) repercussions there could be for enabling this, especially with MBP's with SSD's equipped (as long as power is connected, why should it matter?).

Of course it's a marketing term, as well. It's not going to make me go out and buy an expensive MBPr or new Air just for it, however.

Wonder how long it'll take someone to figure out a way around to enabling it :cool:

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
So, I have already downloaded and installed the SMC Update. On my Retina MacBook this caused a major pink screen issue. I have posted on the Apple Forums about it here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4146958

If anyone has any thoughts or has a similar issue, please respond to that thread.

MBPR 2.3ghz/16GB/256GB

Big reason why you should never download a firmware update seconds after it was released.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I did afterwards, but it even is affecting apps like Safari...

Anyone know if there is a way to install it from a direct download anywhere?

That won't help you because it will already see that it's been updated to the current version.

Set up another user, does that user have the issue?

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Cant agree more!

Ok Apple, now just release suppport for 3rd party SSDs and all MBPs since 2009 and later for example...:)

AFAIK, it has nothing to do with solid state drives. It's the flash built into the new laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.