Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With court documents in the ongoing legal dispute between Apple and Samsung having yielded a remarkable number of design concepts and prototypes from the development of the iPhone and iPad, Network World has taken a look at testimony that explains why Apple rejected some of the ideas. The testimony comes from Doug Satzger, who spent 12 years in industrial design at Apple before moving on to Palm in early 2009 and then joining Intel earlier this year.

Most notably, Satzger reveals that Apple very much wanted to use a curved glass design for the iPhone, but cost considerations and technical hurdles forced Apple to change directions.
The technology in shaping the glass, the cost relative to shaping the glass at the time, and some of the design features of this specific shape were not liked. [...]

The technology at the time had a lot to do with it. The qualities of the glass at the time had a lot to do with it. These are models -- I'm trying to remember a time frame -- that were before gorilla glass and before a lot of the other factors.
curved_glass_iphone_prototype.jpg

"0355" iPhone prototype with curved glass on front and back
Satzger also addressed Apple's ideas for an extruded aluminum design similar to that of the iPod mini, noting that the design was rejected for both comfort and technical reasons.
My recollection of it was that to get the extruded aluminum design that was applied to the iPod to work for the iPhone, there were too many added features to allow it to be comfortable and to work properly. [...]

If you put an iPod up to your ear, the sharp edges, because of the processes, aren't comfortable, and you can't get antennas to work properly in a fully enclosed metal jacket. So each one of those things needed to apply other features that started.
NewImage31.png

iPhone with silver iPod mini-like extruded aluminum design (Source: The Verge)

Article Link: Apple Designer on Why Curved Glass and Extruded Aluminum iPhone Designs Were Rejected

SprodeBoy

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
Mankato, Minnesota
"oh and we realized it looked like crap." missed that pars :D
I think people overlook how sexy the curret iPhone looks. And the next iPhone, getting rid of the speaker grooves, even better :)

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I love stories like this (along with the other prototype leaks/stories). It gives such great insight into Apple & how they operate/think.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Glad they thought twice about printing "MENU" on the home button.

The first one looks pretty slick imho, reminds me on a cooler Vertu version. I'd buy that.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Nokia managed to do curved glass on N9 and Lumia 800 and they both turned out awesome.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
It was rejected cause it looked ugly hahahaha!! :D

Not really. It looks ugly by the standards of what came after, but if Apple had released something like that in 2007 nobody would have been surprised, and it would have seemed like a logical design. It would probably have been good enough, after a few more iterations. Obviously, what makes Apple stand out is that they don't ever settle for good enough...

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
What this says to me: They wanted to try something different than the standard rectangular phones. They were forced, like everyone else, to design a rectangular phone with rounded edges because it obviously makes the most sense. Hence why patenting a certain shape is ridiculous for any company; it's the obvious route to go. You can make the rectangle look slightly different, but that's about it.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
Nokia managed to do curved glass on N9 and Lumia 800 and they both turned out awesome.

For varying degrees of awesome ;)

I nearly bought the Lumia 800, but two months after they released it they pre-announced the 900, so I stuck with iPhone. I'm pleased with my choice, because not upgrading the Lumia to WP8 is a real dick move. Imagine if Apple cut off iPhones from the latest iOS after just one year. Unimaginable.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
The technology in shaping the glass, the cost relative to shaping the glass at the time, and some of the design features of this specific shape were not liked. [...]

The technology at the time had a lot to do with it. The qualities of the glass at the time had a lot to do with it. These are models -- I'm trying to remember a time frame -- that were before gorilla glass and before a lot of the other factors.

It seems the reasons for ditching the curved glass are mostly technical. Does this mean we could be seeing curved glass iPhones in the future?

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
What this says to me: They wanted to try something different than the standard rectangular phones. They were forced, like everyone else, to design a rectangular phone with rounded edges because it obviously makes the most sense. Hence why patenting a certain shape is ridiculous for any company; it's the obvious route to go. You can make the rectangle look slightly different, but that's about it.

They didn't patent the rectangle. They patented a design that looks very much like an iPhone.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Curved front: Cool (well, actually, I don't know if there are blending issues since it will reflect a wider angle)
Curved back: Oh, please, no! Thinking about having my phone on the desk and checking a notification and the phone starts to wobble like a cheap crucked plate.

Curved front: Cool (well, actually, I don't know if there are blending issues since it will reflect a wider angle)
Curved back: Oh, please, no! Thinking about having my phone on the desk and checking a notification and the phone starts to wobble like a cheap crucked plate.

I didn't really have much problem with my iPhone 3G... which was curved more heavily than that pic

lilabila

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Nope.

The stuff in the lower end looks unfinished, but overall really cool!

Yes, there's some real potential here! Imagine it finished!
Since the curves aren't that extreme it wouldn't have problems on the desk I think.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
It's neat seeing all these designs, but I think these lawsuits are getting out of hand. Seems like the legal bills alone will cost more than the loss incurred by any claimed patent infringement, and I think one of the judges even called one of Apple's arguments "silly." I totally understand protecting intellectual property, but jeez...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.