Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-iPad-Stream-movies-and-music-wirelessly-with-AirPlay..png

Apple is planning an improvement to its AirPlay audio and video streaming technology, according to a report from The Telegraph.

The new AirPlay system would allow streaming devices like the iPhone or iPad to directly send content to a set of speakers or other receiver without a Wi-Fi network. The Telegraph expects 'AirPlay Direct' to be announced on September 12, together with the next-generation iPhone.
Sources familiar with the iPhone-maker's plans said that Apple wants to improve the AirPlay wireless music streaming technology, which currently requires Airplay speakers and a WiFi network. The new version will require just speakers or a hifi and an iDevice; the iPhone, iPod or iPad would form its own network to allow a direct connection and music playback.
The Telegraph expects Apple to promote AirPlay Direct as a replacement to the hardware connection on many iPhone/iPod docks, and allow playback of music wirelessly from device to receiver.

Article Link: Apple to Upgrade AirPlay to Allow Wireless Streaming Without Wi-Fi?

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
That seems like it should have been a given from the beginning. Enable a local network and "stream" between devices. Should improve transfer speed dramatically.

Maybe using WiFi was just the quick-and-dirty way of getting something working fast...

bsforever

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
This story doesn't add up or it's missing crucial details. I'm assuming this will be over Bluetooth 4.0 or Wifi direct?

Flying Dutchmen

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Great for presentations.

Would be awesome if it worked with the Apple TV just connected to a beamer and then have your presentation synced from iPad/Macbook. Thats the problem I have right now with presentations at University.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Airplay via Bluetooth? Very nice! It will be a lot easier to set up presentations or connect to speakers when outside!

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes wifi has always been required for air play. the only difference is now you wont need a network to connect too which will make airplay in the car much more doable now. hopefully apple opens up the video standard for car systems.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I wonder if this would fix the audio lag from Mountain Lion Macs to Airport Express if they enable it on the Mac? Even with AirPlay mirroring from my Mac to AppleTV, there's enough delay (probably about a second or less) between keyboard action and result on screen that gameplay is difficult.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
its wifi direct kinda....looks like the ipad or iphone will CREATE the network itself then connect to it and airplay like normal.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I think the article using the term "WiFi Network" is suggesting the devices being on the same network vs. an on-the-fly WiFi adhoc network similar to Airdrop.

There has to be _some_ kind of common wireless protocol, that I would assume would use an existing standard.

Also maybe concurrent dual channel? So one channel could be for an infrastructure type network and one for streaming to an Airplay adhoc type network[?]

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Yes wifi has always been required for air play. the only difference is now you wont need a network to connect too which will make airplay in the car much more doable now. hopefully apple opens up the video standard for car systems.

That's where my head went. This would be great for camping, a picnic or at the beach. At first I thought, who doesn't have a wireless network, but then it hit me. This is actually kinda big. Especially for me, because I was never interested in an airplay device other than my apple TVs and airport express.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Oh god, wow this would be amazing!

In my parent's home, where they only have an iPad, iPhones, and an Apple TV, this could entirely eliminate the need for home internet and a wireless router, not to mention entirely ridding them of a huge unnecessary monthly bill and the need for more peripherals in the equation. This can't be good for cable internet companies in the post-PC era world :D

Their printer is airprint enabled so hopefully this extends to that as well.

Come on, Apple, do it!!

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
or a hifi

Wait, is this referring to the iPod Hi-Fi speakers? Because I have them, and if I could stream music to them directly from my iDevices that'd be the best thing ever.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Hold your horses guys, Apple will never ever transmit sound or video via bluetooth because it sucks. Have you ever listened to bluetooth speakers? The sound is horrible.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
i love the idea but I'm not sure how practical it is. bluetooth and NFC my be possible solutions to my skepticism but again, is it practical. sorry i seem cynical but NFC isnt fast enough to stream video and BT 4.0 is fast enough, but how would the quality be affected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.