Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Architecture website Dezeen was prominently featured in the iPhone 5 promotional video revealed yesterday, and today the site has posted a brief behind-the-scenes look at how the collaboration came to fruition.

NewImage22.png

The site is featured in the video starting around the 1:16 mark, with the iPhone 5 user opening an email with a link to the website. He clicks the link, views the site, navigates to Safari's bookmarks list and then opens another page. The page is viewed during a section of the video discussing how LTE technology provides for "really fast downloads over your cellular network."
Apple contacted Dezeen earlier this year asking us to create a bespoke version of our home page and an editorial page for a possible future marketing campaign. Apple specified that both had to be free of external advertisements and social media buttons, but they did not give any details of how the pages might be used.

The pages [were] created for us by our long-term collaborators Zerofee. Besides the iPhone versions of Dezeen, we also created billboard-sized pages that may, or may not, appear in Apple Stores and outdoor advertising hoardings as part of the marketing push for the iPhone 5.
Given how secretive Apple tends to be with its marketing materials, it remains to be seen if this disclosure by Dezeen will impact Apple's marketing strategy going forward.

Article Link: How an Architecture Website Got Featured in the iPhone 5 Launch Video

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
Free marketing's now gone. All of a sudden the website disappears.

Wait, I've seen this before... What happened to killing Big Brother?

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
That's good advertising. If their website could handle the amount of visitors right now..

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This doesn’t seem like any great trade secret: they’re telling the tale AFTER the iPhone 5 and marketing materials were already released.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Oh no. I do hope Dezeen isn't going to suffer the same cretinous-influx that has afflicted Apple websites over the last few years. :(

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This doesn’t seem like any great trade secret: they’re telling the tale AFTER the iPhone 5 and marketing materials were already released.

Yeah, I see nothing here that should make Apple mad.

To hear MR posters tell it you'd think that Apple instantly kills everyone they do business with.

I'm fairly certain that's not the case.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Given how secretive Apple tends to be with its marketing materials, it remains to be seen if this disclosure by Dezeen will impact Apple's marketing strategy going forward.

This was a nice little general-interest story until that last line. Everything has to have some controversy! Apple have just endured months of leaking—photos of their flagship product strewn around the web before launch time. But yeah, I'm sure they're all terribly upset that this company revealed, AFTER the event, how they created a web page for the promo video. Come on guys… it's laughable!

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I think you will find that it has more to do with misleading consumers to think that all webpages look as neat as that on an iPhone.

It's funny how this reaction seems to imply "misleading" since the purpose of the promo was not about Dezeen at all, not about the home page for Dezeen nor about the iPhone is able to somehow banish garbage...it was an image used during reference to LTE. You would be hard pressed to find ANY ad, billboard, magazine ad, online ad, TV ad, delicious donut ads in those fat factory windows that doesn't craft every object in the frame of every media asset.

This has no bearing at all in the images Nokia used in showing their camera. In that case they were telling you...this is the ad you get from our camera, which it wasn't.

Apple is talking about LTE and chose images to display various cultures/businesses.

This response is, of course, wasted if the mentality is "I don't like Apple and I'm going to take something to try to make it fit my dislike." Certainly anyone's right to say what they want, just completely out of context. I'm sure there are a lot of other areas one could attack, and some tech sites wallow in that waste of "thinking", if it could be called that.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
It's funny how this reaction seems to imply "misleading" since the purpose of the promo was not about Dezeen at all, not about the home page for Dezeen nor about the iPhone is able to somehow banish garbage...it was an image used during reference to LTE. You would be hard pressed to find ANY ad, billboard, magazine ad, online ad, TV ad, delicious donut ads in those fat factory windows that doesn't craft every object in the frame of every media asset.

This has no bearing at all in the images Nokia used in showing their camera. In that case they were telling you...this is the ad you get from our camera, which it wasn't.

Apple is talking about LTE and chose images to display various cultures/businesses.

This response is, of course, wasted if the mentality is "I don't like Apple and I'm going to take something to try to make it fit my dislike." Certainly anyone's right to say what they want, just completely out of context. I'm sure there are a lot of other areas one could attack, and some tech sites wallow in that waste of "thinking", if it could be called that.

Its a highly misleading portrayal of web browsing on 4G on the iPhone. Apple has designed it to look better than it will be. Just like how great siri is on the adverts and yet in real life it sux balls.

The UK Advertising watchdog has smacked down Apple a number of times but in the USA you can claim what ever you want without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.