Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

preorder-500x109.png

Both Apple's Online Store and AT&T's website have gone offline in preparation for the iPhone 5 preorders in the next few hours. AT&T has posted a countdown to their site. MacRumors also has a countdown at the top of our front page.

iPhone 5 pre-orders begin at 12:01am Pacific and 3:01am Eastern on September 14th. In the U.S., the iPhone 5 will be available on AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.

TechCrunch reported that unlocked pricing for the iPhone 5 was going to be $649 (16GB), $749 (32GB), and $849 (64GB) but that the unlocked phones would not be available until several weeks after the launch.

Customers can also buy directly from retail stores starting on September 21st. Pre-order customers will get delivery of their iPhones on September 21st.

Article Link: Apple and AT&T Websites Get Ready for iPhone 5 Pre-Orders

Last edited:

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I'm really torn as to whether to stay up or not. 3am is late and if I remember correctly I couldn't even get through the site until the next morning. Still, I love the excitement of being one of the first to get it.

proathlete03

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
I bet the AT&T pre-auth server will go down. Last time it wasn't Apple that had the technical difficulties, but rather the server which handles promotional pricing. You had the option of reserving the phone in-store, but who wants to do that? I want mine delivered!

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I sure hope they've stepped up their game this year, so that we don't run into same madness that preordering was last year. The new iPad ordering wasn't too bad this year, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Helixc0de

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
Damn I feel so good...so close to pre-order and only 7 days for release. Damn I miss Steve, I'm crying as I write this. Well 2 hours and 40 minutes left. I'm so anxious!

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
AT&T websit tells me 650 but I sent a text and they replied I would pay the discounted amount plus $250 plus activation. I'm using my wife's upgrade though and giving her my 4S. I hope she won't care. :)

IMPOSSIBLEMAN

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
very very disappointed they are not letting us order the unlocked one here in the U.S and what is driving me crazy is they are allowing it everywhere else even in neighboring Canada

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Interesting. The more phones AT&T sells the worse their quarter will look, since each one requires an upfront subsidy of $450 (though that is spread over 2 years).

That said, I don't recall all this hype or a countdown on AT&T's website for a new Droid or Galaxy phone.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
very very disappointed they are not letting us order the unlocked one here in the U.S and what is driving me crazy is they are allowing it everywhere else even in neighboring Canada

It's the same as last year. I'm hoping that AT&T allows the no-commitment iPhone 5, since I can get that unlocked as I'm a customer of AT&T.

That said, if it's like last year, then when it goes on sale in the stores, you can go to Apple and buy the full priced AT&T version and it will be unlocked. My guess is that they have some sort of agreement with the carriers here not to sell the official unlocked version for a few weeks. Like it or not, the US is their most important market, so the carriers get a little more sway than they might otherwise get.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I have two lines on a family plan. My little brother always gets my hand-me-down iPhone, and I pay for his line. Out of our two lines, his is always eligible for upgrade pricing, because he's always using the older phone.

I was told by an AT&T rep today that I can order and get the full upgrade discount by using his line's number when I order, and when the phone arrives, I can call them to activate it, but have them activate it using my line/phone number.

Does anyone have experience doing this, and does it ring true? I guess you give them your IMEI over the phone, tell them which of your lines/numbers you want associated with it, and they push the activation through and tie it to the number you've specified? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.