$1449 macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vega07, Sep 12, 2006.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

Went to the apple store today and I saw a white 2.0ghz macbook with 1GB ram and 80GB hard drive for $1449. It was listed on the bulletin of all the macbooks that are available to purchase. Since they were out of the 2.0ghz 512MB stock macbook, I just went ahead and bought it. Is this a stock macbook or BTO macbook?

I am using it now. It's burning hot on the upperleft corner. And I kept getting a javascript error that popped up every 30 seconds but is gone now. And my ichat won't connect...it says the connection was lost all the time.

oh god HELP!

and the battery is only for 3 hours when 100% charged...I expected 4 hours.

my first mac and I'm not very satisfied.

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

It doesn't sound correct... did you get it from the refurb store?

That is definitely not a stock configuration, by default 2.0Ghz white Macbooks come with 512mb of ram and 60gb hard drives.

3. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

no not from the refurb store. it comes in the original packaging!

did I get a lemon?

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

I suspect it is a BTO that the original buyer rejected and the store somehow sold to you... was it sealed when you got it?

That definitely is not a stock config.

5. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

yes it was sealed. and the bulletin listed all the models that are available to purchase, and this was included. it was a printed professional looking bulletin/board...not a written one or anything.

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

7. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

why does my aim connect always get lost using ichat...
    I'm starting to get worried. The serial number says that this macbook is a week 35.

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    That sounds like a custom ordered machine.

That's exactly how much it would cost on the Apple Online Store for a white Macbook upgraded to 1 gig ram and 80 gig hard drive.

It's possible that the store carries more standard configs than the online store?

I would call them, maybe someone else here knows about models the stores carry.

9. generik macrumors 601

generik

Week 35 isn't that bad... it is in first week of August!

The upper left corner on my Macbook near the socket does get a tad warm when charging, but definitely not as hot as you described though.. still it feels a bit dodgey, why are the specs different from stock?

10. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I asked the man, is this a custom order machine or a stock machine...he said stock.

he's a liar...

what do I do?

why does my ichat connection always get lost? "The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost."

11. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

perhaps the store just preordered a bunch of these configurations because it was popular?

well...I don't really mind...the extra space and ram is worth it.

just that it gets really hot in the upper left corner and my ichat doesn't work!

should I install the firmware update?

12. coal macrumors regular

coal

I seem to recall an article regarding Apple producing certain special configurations of Macbooks. It was a few months ago and I'm thinking it was limited to Black Macbooks, but perhaps this is an example carried forward from that period.

I can't imagine them selling something that someone else returned and representing it as new. Though stranger things have happened.

If you're having issues and are not happy, don't settle for less than you deserve. You paid top price. If you wanted a different model, go back and wait until it arrives. There is no reason to pay near-black Macbook prices for something that doesn't excite you. Good luck!

13. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

if I do want to return, what do I tell them? that was deceived?

how hot should the upper corner of the macbook be anyways..

sorry to be so repetitive but does anyone know a solution to my ichat problem?

14. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

google coreduotemp for macbook and download the program coreduotemp and tell us how hot your macbook is. If it is within 50 60 70ish range you should be ok.

15. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

it says 48 always...it never changes. shouldn't it change from time to time?

16. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I thought CTO machines could not be returned or exchanged for any reason other than DOA? At least thats what Apple's website says. Maybe the store ordered a special config that they thought would sell in their store during the back to school rush?

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA"

Ed

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I thought the B&M stores always had a few "upgraded" models as stock configurations. e.g. the 256 MB video upgraded iMacs and MBPs. Whether Apple considers therse "stock" or "CTO" is a different question...

B

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

They do carry a few upgraded models. The store here has upgraded versions of the 2.0Ghz Black/Macbook, upgraded versions of the MBP and I'm not sure about the iMac or Mac Pro. I do believe the Mac Mini has a few upgraded versions as well.

19. BSME macrumors newbie

he's not a liar.

at our local store, they called that the "Super" version of the whitebook. upgraded ram and HD. it's not CTO, but something they keep in stock.

can't help you with the temp though. i hope it's not THAT unbearable, as i'm about to pick one up myself...

20. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

well...I bought two macbooks. one for myself and one for my sister.

both are uncomfortably hot. her's is a week 36.

now i understand how people smelled bacon when using the macbook as a LAPtop. :p

21. unixhead macrumors newbie

Enjoy your MacBook.

This is more or less repeating what has already been said, but the Apple Retail Stores carry certain pre-configured systems that are not BTO, but no available elsewhere. Return policy, etc, is just like any other off-the-shelf Mac you might buy. The usually carrier a few decked-out iMacs and such that have some desired options.

Unfortunately, this is normal. Just about any Core Duo laptop you buy is going to generate similar heat. Its just a matter of physics. I **think** in typical usage the MacBook uses about 60 watts, so it disappates about 60W in heat... imaging sitting with a 60W light bulb in your lap all day. The good news is your MacBook is just like everyone elses, its not defective. I have a black MacBook and its burning my thigh as I type this.

This sounds more like a software/configuration issue than a hardware problem.

This is actually pretty typical unless you have the screen way down, bluetooth & wifi off, etc. Its actually pretty good real-world battery life compared to what is out there.

I hope your experience improves. I think you just have some natural fears regarding whether you made the right choice. I think you will find that the Mac will definitely grow on you if you give it a chance.

Just my 2c

22. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

you're right unixhead...my experience did improve. I'm very very very happy with this machine!

I probably expected a lot out of this notebook, so I was disappointed in the beginning.

I still have to get used to the keyboard though....spaces are so wide.

23. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

just in confirmation of the above.

what you bought is the "Ultimate Macbook" It is a standard config for retail Apple stores, not someones returned BTO. And yes. it Does come in both black and white. ( same spec )

24. Cue macrumors regular

Just to confirm this as well.

I've seen this configuration (1Gb Ram, 80Gb HD) in a local reseller here in Greece as well.
    So I guess it's standard

25. pacmantech macrumors member

I'm typing (and protein folding) on my "Ultimate MacBook" right now. Edu price for 2.0/1GB/80GB/SuperDrive was $1334, which is an easy upsell from the $1199 2.0/512/60/SuperDrive. That extra 20GB is my Windoze partition.