Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that Apple is planning to launch Personal Pickup for new iPhone 5 orders starting tonight at 10:00 PM Eastern. The program allows users to place and pay for orders online in advance and then pick up their items at an Apple retail store.
Customers can use the Apple Store App or website between 10PM-4AM nightly to pre-purchase available iPhone 5 inventory for the next day.
iphone_5_reservations_uk.jpg

AppleInsider notes that the program is new for U.S. iPhone 5 customers, as sales in many other countries have already been made available on a reservation basis.
An announcement about the policy change was reportedly made internally to Apple's employees on Monday. Word then began spreading as the day went on.

For now, Apple's website still says that iPhone 5 purchases are available on a first-come, first-served basis. In contrast, customers in other countries, such as the U.K., have the option to reserve an iPhone 5 and pick it up the next day at an Apple retail store.
Reports differ on how long customers will have to pick up their purchased iPhones, with 9to5Mac saying that customers will have "upwards of 2 weeks" while AppleInsider says that customers will have to pick them up the following day or the units will be returned to the pool for purchase by other customers.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Personal Pickup for iPhone 5 Tonight

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah I went to the Apple Store this morning and was told this as well.

Been also told after 4AM you can't reserve and all remaining units are first come first serve next morning. So I guess for the few weeks or so you'll need to reserve (due to demand); afterwards you can probably get one next day without a reservation.

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
I thought you could do that already...

...oh that was the Home Depot...

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Good for Apple, it took them long enough... but sooner or later they always come to their senses and do something that could have been done much earlier. :)

SFJon

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
I wonder if canceling my web-order (3-4 weeks) and doing an in-store reservation will be faster.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Does it make sense that iPhone buyers now can pick up their iPhones whereas preorder buyers have to wait 2 more weeks or more?

kbade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Does it make sense that iPhone buyers now can pick up their iPhones whereas preorder buyers have to wait 2 more weeks or more?

My thoughts exactly... if they have so many extras, why am I back-ordered with a 2-3 week shipping delay?! :mad::confused:

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Just phoned UK Aberdeen Apple store and they confirmed pick ups. What shocked me was the fact that they do have plenty of any range of iphones 5...and then you see 3-4 weeks on delivery if you buy through website. Marketing?

matthewvb

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Washington, DC
Last year with iPhone 4s you were able to reserve the night before and if you didn't pick it up by 6p it was given away. I learned the hard way by showing up at 6:30 to pick it up after misreading the confirmation email.

Fair to say they'll do something similar - as when I went at 6:30 there was a line of people waiting to get the "missed pickups".

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
You have to remember that the vast majority of customers do not live near an Apple Store. Online ordering is for them - it's the cheapest and most convenient method - but not always the fastest.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm waiting for the Personal Dropoff service (assuming we can choose the Genius ... there's one at the local Apple Store ... hubba hubba!)

:D

atlas365

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
My thoughts exactly... if they have so many extras, why am I back-ordered with a 2-3 week shipping delay?! :mad::confused:

What a joke... I pre-ordered my iphone thinking that apple would put a priority on customers that ordered it first. Now I come to find out that people can just go to the store and pick one up.

Why even bother to have a pre-order process if they're going to be readily available in the stores - while we wait like chumps for 2 weeks...

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California

I'm still at a 5 Oct delivery, iPhone's been hanging out at ZhengZhou for a couple of days.

I won't be preordering next time unless it's within the first..30-45mins of the 'flood gates' opening.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Even though I'm not in a huge rush, I may take advantage of this since my iPhone 5 isn't going to be delivered until the middle to end of October. I'll just simply call AT&T and have them cancel my order if I can reserve one for in-store pick up.

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
So in theory I could pre-order on the night of the 28th and pick-up on the morning of the 29th?

Is this correct? Just trying to clarify this for myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.