Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipod_touch_3_weeks.jpg
At last month's media event, Apple introduced the fifth-generation iPod touch, a revamped version of the device offering the same 4-inch display found in the iPhone 5 and a number of different color options. While Apple immediately began taking pre-orders for the device, availability was set for a rather vague "October" timeframe.

As of earlier today, some of those early pre-order customers have begun reporting that their order statuses have shifted to "Preparing for Shipment", the final stage before being passed off to delivery companies. At least one customer has reported that his credit card has also been charged.

The move toward availability comes just after users noted yesterday that shipping estimates for new orders of the fifth-generation iPod touch through the Apple Online Store in Australia had shifted from the vague "October" to "3 weeks". Those following through and placing orders were finding an expected delivery date of October 29. A similar shift was seen in the New Zealand online store, with deliveries there scheduled for November 2.

These new orders are, however, likely to be delivered somewhat after the first batch of pre-orders placed as much three weeks or more ago, and shipping estimates for new orders in the Australia and New Zealand stores have since reverted to the previous "October" timeframe.

Update 8:39 AM: Mac Otakara reports that the official launch day for the new iPod touch and iPod nano in Japan is October 9, although early supplies are likely to be tight.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Begin Shipping Fifth-Generation iPod Touch to Customers

namma

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
mine has moved to "Preparing for Shipment" and my credit card has been charge :) cant be long until reciving a shipping date

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
LCD display

I wonder if this time around the iPod touch will have the same IPS LCD display as the iPhone. This would help explain the 100$ premium over the previous generation.

bitcloudrzr

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2012
I wonder if this time around the iPod touch will have the same IPS LCD display as the iPhone. This would help explain the 100$ premium over the previous generation.

AF08 is right about the price, but apparently it has the exact same screen as the iPhone 5 this time around, not just the same resolution.

Also, they put up a nice tribute video for Steve Jobs and Tim wrote a short letter on the intro page.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA

Yes has the same screen. (4th gen didn't have IPS tech), but price points are the same over last years models

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Wow, after hearing about the success of the iPhone 5 and supply constraints, I'm amazed that they're actually going to start shipping these.

worshippodtouch.gif

Last edited:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
The previous gen cheapest iPod Touch was $199, now the cheapest one is $299.

But the cheapest one is now 32gb instead of 8gb.

I'm glad they're phasing 8gb iDevices out. 8Gb isn't enough to do anything, especially when iOS eats up 1Gb before you've even started.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I'm interested in what colors you guys choose, I find the iPod Touch hideous in all colors except for black/white. Not to mention the iPod Nano with its 'interface'…

AF08

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Huntington Beach
The previous gen cheapest iPod Touch was $199, now the cheapest one is $299.

For an 8 gig model. Now for $199 you get a 16 gig 4th gen iPod touch. Double the storage, same price...

The 4th gen 32 gig, was $299. The 5th gen 32 gig is also $299. No premium.

Just no 16 gig 5th gen.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I love the new design. It looks to me to be much nicer than the previous-generation nano, which I find difficult to use when exercising (the on-screen controls are just too small).

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Nothing new. Apple is kinda lost, we need the next generation of Steve Jobs. :rolleyes:

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Apple couldn't get a high profit margin on a 5th gen iPod touch with 8gb so they now start at 32GB.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008

It has the same display as the new iPhone: "4-inch (diagonal) widescreen display with Multi-Touch IPS technology".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.