14th month anniversary, yay

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eva01, Dec 14, 2005.

1. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

For all those wondering what is this 14th month anniversary, well 14 months ago i became sick with an unknown illness/disease/hell thingie.

Ah such wonderful times looking back to august on my birthday when i felt like absolute crap, or back in April when it put me in the hospital for 3 days.

Such fun these past months have been living in constant pain only waiting to fall asleep and hope the pain doesn't wake me up.

The times that i have to take my "happy pills" that don't make the pain go away, but just make me high enough to not care as much about the pain.

Oh how life has been for me, dropping out of school this semester, probably not going back to school next semester and hopefully starting back up next year.

The fun of having a spinal tap in which it takes the doctor 5 times of putting the needle into your spine before he gets it into your spinal column, 8 holes in my back in total.

Having every single test you have had done come back normal and realizing other than a daily headache and constant pain between level 4-6 you are in perfect health.

Wondering when/if some doctor is ever going to be able to diagnose you is probably the most fun.

Well yeah this was my rant and ummm well hope you enjoyed it ^_^

And to think i work in a hospital and no one knows what the frack is going on with me.

I wouldn't wish this on my arch nemesis.

2. Phil. macrumors newbie

WOW What can I say but... I feel sorry for you. Seems like hell..:(

3. bartelby macrumors Core

:eek: That's pretty horrendous!!!
    I really feel for you.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I hate that scale..

5. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I can sympathize with what you're going through. Three years ago I began having debilitating migraine-like headaches, but no medicines would take care of them. Over the course of nine months saw at least eight doctors and almost made a trip to the Mayo Clinic before they just went away. No one was ever able to diagnose me.

While going through this I developed depression that lasted over a year afterwards. I've been put on so many different medicines that, sadly, I no longer feel like the same person I was before all of this started. I used to be a very ambitious person, but now I find myself just doing what it takes to get by. Just this year (college freshman) am I beginning to feel like myself again.

So, I guess my words of advice to you is to hang in there. The MR community is here to support you. I feel sorry that you have to go through this.

6. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

i hate it too

my doctors ask me what the pain level is and then i have to ask for a normal person or for someone like me?

stupid scale does absolutely nothing because when i think i have a level 10 pain, well it just finds some wayto get worse.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's 'tarded because I have no idea what my pain tolerance is, and that's a completely subjective thing from person to person. My wife has a (fist-sized) tattoo, but once drove an hour in traffic because she had a staple stuck in her finger and needed me to pull it out. Dr. Yellow. :cool:

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A mysterious health problem, especially one with pain, is one of the worst things you can have. It drags down your whole life. Undergoing tests is especially unpleasant when you feel discouraged that they will figure out what's wrong.

I know other people who have gone through similar experiences (although no two are completely alike) and when they finally found out what their problem was, they felt so much better even before the condition was treated. Just knowing what is wrong, giving it a name, looking it up in a medical dictionary, and finding out that others share the condition can give you a lot of hope that you'll overcome it.

You have my best wishes for winning this battle, eva01.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Is it back pain?

Headache?

Body pain?

Have they given you any guesses as to what it is?

10. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

Its a headache that has lasted 14 months with barely any pain release. It is every day every hour of the day.

They have given guesses then they have treated for their guesses and it didn't work, so we are at square 1, they don't want to guess because i have been on no less than 30 different medications and they don't want to put me on more.

So we have no idea what is causing it whatsoever. Not even the slightest of hints.

Speaking of which, time to take my Fioricet and Phengran and trileptal....yay happy pills -_-

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Mmm....Floricet.

Have they tried Depakote?

13. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

Depakote, Tegretol, topamax, Heart Medication, Botox Injections, Nerve Block Shots.

Morphine patches, Percs, Hydrocodone, Methadone.

You name it i have been on it.

Whenever i go to the ER due to the pain i bring my brown bag of pill bottles for the doctors to know what meds i have already gone through

14. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

nope

15. iGary Guest

iGary

Traveled to a foreign country?

Sorry about the pain meds. Before they finally operated I wastaking 20mg of Vicodin at a hit for my back.

Talk about checking out.

Tested for food allergies?

16. CompUser Guest

A family friend of ours got really sick one day. And she was sick for a long time. The doctors for many months had no idea what was wrong with her. She would throw food up and have diareha.

After monthes of being sick they found out she developed an alergy to foods with glutton. Pretty much any food with grain in it.

17. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

Haven't been to a foreign country in 4 years.

I am going to an allergist and dermatologist on the 20th of January.

I know of some trigger foods that make it worse, Chocolate and anything Orange flavored no matter if it is real or artificial

I just don't know what to do anymore

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Gluten. ;)

Glad they found out what she was allergic to.

19. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Sorry to here about your situation. I had a roommate that had a similar issue. He had a constant headache for over two years. For all I know he still has it. I haven't talked to him in like 7 years. I hope you are able to find out what is causing this.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Those are common triggers for migraines.

21. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

At some points this month partly due to the minor depression due to a suicide of my best friend a couple years ago, I have felt helpless. That i just don't know what to do anymore and just want it to go away.

But i stress through this period for the past 3 years now.

But.......meh

22. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

23. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

One of my neurologists says that their are other symptoms associated with that (back of the eyeball is fuzzy and not see through) and i do not show any of the symptoms nor has any blood work come back alarming

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I suggest that, as insurance permits, work with multiple treatment centers. Even if you feel you are getting good care, particular doctors may recognize certain diseases/conditions more readily than other diseases/conditions with the same symptoms. In addition, there's a bit of art to medicine, and a doctor's own experiences influence what they know, so if you see two doctors with the same speciality one of them may be able to find what the other didn't.

25. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

I assume they have done an MRI and Head CT? Any abnormalities? Also, did this come on suddenly or over time? Any triggers, for example a fall or a spider bite? I know this has probably been covered but you never know.