15" 1.25 - firewire mode warning

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Zachary, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Zachary macrumors newbie

Testimony; also posted in an Apple Discussion.

I started my brand way-the-hell-too-expensive 15" superdrive up in firewire external drive mode by holding the "T" key during startup. I connected to my older Ti 550ghz running 10.2.6, which hasn't given me firewire problems previously. I transfered some files and restarted. When I restarted the new machine it gives me the missing OS folder logo. I ran disk utility, it said everything was good. I ran permissions repair, then reinstalled the OS and ran it again. I started up with the reinstalled system and ran Virex (found nothing), then because I'm such a forgiving guy I tried the firewire transfer again to make sure it wasnt something I did. The OS of the old Ti gives me an alert that said one of my 3 drive partitions was unmountable, one was unrecognizable, and one didn't even try to mount. I wonder whether there is an archetecture conflict or some kind of massive and very wrong problem with firewire mode in OS 10.2.7... Either way I wish when I spend this much money things would go the way I want.

Honestly other than that the thing runs quieter, cooler, and way the hell faster than I thought it would.

2. PaisanoMan macrumors member

Re: 15" 1.25 - firewire mode warning

Did you unmount the new PowerBook before you rebooted? If you don't, that's likely the source of your problem.

3. Zachary thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I never heard of doing that except for running disk diagnostics. I never did it for the 2 years I owned the Ti 550 and I used the firewire on that all the time. If you don't mind could you describe the relevance of unmounting a little further?

Ahh, I posted this before it hit me. You're talking about unmountiing the firewire drive from the older comp I was connected to, I thought you meant I was to unmount the harddrives before restarting into firewire mode. yes I always "eject" the firewire drives before disconnecting the cable.

4. advres Guest

advres

i too have a new aluminum 1.25 Ghz. I have put it into firewire target mode three ttimes since i have had it and have had no problems. I was tranfering files to my schools 533mhz g4 tower running 10.2.6.

I wish i could be of help but i would say its a warranty issue.

5. PaisanoMan macrumors member

Yeah, that's what I meant. If it's not that, then I don't know what it could be ... :/

6. Farside161 macrumors member

or you could just boot up holding down the "D" key to boot from an internal drive.