15.2" PB Rev 'B' Battery Life

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by data1ore, Jun 2, 2004.

1. data1ore macrumors newbie

data1ore

Having worked on my PB for the past weeks, I have to say I'm really happy! It's such a joy, even typing on my PB (raised by the Podium Coolpad), with my matching silverish Metal GearBox (substance) enclosure and my silverish digital camera. Now all I need is the Powermate, to complete the picture :).

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you proud 15.2" Rev B PB owners noticed something about our babies - let's not even talk about the advertised battery life. What I'm interested in is feedback regarding power-saving features of our GPU (Mobility Radeon 9700 128mb/64mb versions).

I've noticed that whenever I run any game, even Chopper, that utilizes the graphics card, my battery % drops way faster than usual. It's almost as if power-saving isn't enabled much on our beast-of-a-graphics-chip. Really, this is my only gripe for this machine.

Comments people?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

the 15" battery is of the same size than the 12" battery, so no wonder it sucks. i have a revA 15" 1.25GHz model and in real life it's 2:30 max and there's nothing i can do about it. compared to my old tibook's constant 4+ hours, this is pathetic.

the only gripe about the beauty, really.

3. frenetic macrumors regular

i get a bit more on my 1,33 Ghz 15 inch (4200 rpm hd): Three hours, sometimes even three hours and a half. Of course, just doing light work like surfing, writing and so on. If I encode aac it doesn't even come close.

But I come from a rev A powerbook and I have to say this 15 inch beats its battery life. Not by much, but still... Of course we will have to see how long this lasts...

4. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

my loaded 15" 1.5GHz gets about 4-ish hours, give or take half and hour, when doing stuff like internet, msn, and a few other basic apps, and usually photoshop at least for a few minutes. one thing i recommend is putting processor usage to Reduced when on battery, it's still very speedy, but i think saves a large amount of batery power.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

amazing! actually doing work, or just idling? i simply cannot have more than 2:30 of photoshopping or protools'ing

6. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

I can get almost 4 hours doing alot on my 12" PB. I don't why it gets a bad rap. Battery life is so much better than the iBooks. Yes, yes, I've seen your statements about the iBook battery being better. I have yet to see it.

7. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

yea i'd like to know, too. what are you doing typically when you get this kind of hour-age (sp??)