15/30 Gig iPod Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benjaminpg, Jun 1, 2003.

1. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I am probably going to buy a 10 or 15 gig iPod. I would not get the 15 for its extra size, but for its accessories, especially the dock and case.

First of all, what is the difference between Line Out and headphone jacks. How much does the quality differ between them.

Secondly, does anyone know if the iPod dock can be used to charge the iPod from the wall. It doesn't seem likely, but maybe someone found a way using an old iPod charger (one with a firewire port). Also can the line out capabilities of the dock be used without external power.

Thirdly, can the iPod headphones with remote be used with other headphone jacks. It doesn't seem likely given the pictures on apple's site, but I haven't seen a pair of headphones with remote yet.

Lastly, can someone recommend a case for the 10 or 15 gig iPods. I would definately like something that doesn't require the iPod to be taken out of the case, and haven't decided whether I would want a flap to cover the buttons or not.

Thanks a lot,
  2. Chimaera macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2002
    Re: 15/30 Gig iPod Questions

As the proud owner of a 30gig I'll take a shot...

1, Line out basically means the signal is passed straight out of the player for connection to external amplifiers while the headphone socket passes through a small amp - this meas theres a cleaner signal for amplification, ergo better sound quality if you want to pipe it through a stereo (Which I do).

2, Yes it can - the dock is basically a passthrough with a lineout from it, so you can plug the cable into the dock, the AC adapter (which comes with it) onto the cable and into the wall, no problem (a friend of moine has to do something similar as his laptop has onle a 4pin FW socket (meaning its unpowered) so he has a splitter that plugs into the firewire cable taking four pins to his lappy and the other 2 to the mains adapter). The lineout works fine without power.

3, Again, yes it can - the remote and the headphoones are two seperate devices that plug together, so if you wanted you can have the headphones plugged into the iPod directly and forgo the remote (which some poeple do due to the total length of the remote and the headphones combined). Personally I'm nipping down to my local hifi store to buy a pair of Portapro's later today - the in-ear ones supplied are OK, if nothing special, but I don't find that type of headphone comfortable for extended listening.

4, Sorry, I can't help you here - the cases it came with suit me fine so I've not looked into it - check out www.ipodlounge.com though - they may be able to help.

3. vanillamike macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I would check out the revised marware cases they are very cool. I especially like the SportSuit Convertible.

4. gotohamish macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    They look a bit tatty though.
  5. thekaiser macrumors member

Dec 16, 2002
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I use the line out on my 15GB quite a bit. Not only does it provide a cleaner signal, but it is a constant signal level. This is nice so that if you forget to turn the headphone volume down and your stereo volume is up, you don't blast loud music through your stereo. Also, it is a flat or unequalized signal. This allows you to have your stereo adjusted how you like it and not be hindered by the iPod equalizer settings. If functions much like the line out on a CD player. Enjoy, they are great little toys.
  6. toughboy macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    I didnt like these cases at all... :(
    I'd prefer the iSkin as a protection if you are not thinking of something soft or something leather..
  7. NyXsPaZ913 macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2004
    hey i have a question about the ipod...

I just got an ipod and i have a question. I have downloaded music from limewire onto Windows Media Player. Can i transfer that music from Windows Media to the ipod for free? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    You need to use iTunes to transfer songs to the iPod. If the songs are in MP3 format, you're set. If they're in WMA format, you'll need to use the iTunes for Windows convert unprotected WMA to AAC feature to use them on your iPod.
  9. NyXsPaZ913 macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2004
    ok but..

If I do that, is it free?or do i still need to pay 99cents for each song
  10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    THe 99 cent thing only applies to the iTunes Music Store. It doesn't apply to songs acquired through other means.
  11. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    This has go to be the biggest pet peeve of mine. People think that:
    1. Windows Media Player is better for organizing music than iTunes.
    2. The only way to get music in to iTunes is to buy it from the music store or you have to pay for music that you already have on your computer.
    3. There should be another way to transfer your music to your iPod.

All of which are incorrect.

No offence directly intended at the origional poster but it is just a pet peeve of mine and I wish more people would check something out before developing an opinion about it.
  12. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with the 3G's (which I'm assuming you are talking about?) only come with a case, dock, and remote for the 20gb, 30gb, and 40gb. The 15gb and below do not come with these accessories.