15.4 inch Powerbook

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 10, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

MacOSRumors claims that 15" Powerbook stocks remain substantial, and believe that a new 15" PowerBook isn't likely to arrive for about 2-4 weeks.

2. macrumors 68000

john123

Great...that means we're going to see revisions of the PowerBook.

I swear, MOSR has just about the worst track record out there. They're an embarrassment to the rumor community.

On a side note, I'd have to say that their prediction makes a lot more sense...I really don't see the current 15" going anywhere until closer to mid-year (about when they phase out those OS 9 bootable dual 1.25s).

3. macrumors 68000

agreenster

Regardless, Im torn as well. I just sold my Ti550 and am ready to get the 15.2 1Ghz...........but if the 15.4 is a month away, Im willing to wait. Now, 3 months....im not so sure.

I hate being one of those people who never buy because they know a new revision is coming, but this revision is very big. New aluminum case, DDR ram, built in bluetooth, FW800, etc....

and who can resisit that cool keyboard?

WHAT TO DO?

4. macrumors regular

Yea, I know this is gonna be like washing my car and making it rain.

If I buy something they will release the 15 inch AL, if I don't and wait, they won't release it for some time!

ARRRGGGGH!

5. macrumors member

so take one for the team any buy the 15 now cuz i cant wait any longer

6. macrumors newbie

Powerbook Keyboards

I hope the finish on the new 15" keyboard is better than the 12" powerbook. Apple can do better than that. I would rather see a "Bronze" style keyboard with a back light rather than that cheap painted silver finish.
    What do you think?

7. Das
    macrumors regular

Well, I've only had my 867 pb for a week, so I'm happy to see it's not going to be outdated that fast. Still, even when the new ones come out, I'll still be sticking with the current model for OS9 booting (I just spent all of my money on the PB and I don't have the cash to upgrade to Director MX).

8. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Re: Powerbook Keyboards

Personally, i just want the back light period. I am starting to worry that Apple won't include this on the future 15.4" Powerbook. They will keep it as a sole independent feature of the 17".

Hopefully I'm wrong.

9. macrumors newbie

PowerBook 15"

I was just at the Apple Store and bought a new iBook. But they were out of Airport cards so I went to a local Mac retailer (unnamed).

I asked a friend of mine who works there when to expect the new 15", and he told me they would be recieving it in mid March, maybe late March.

I don't know how much he would really know, but he has never given me an incorrect date so far. I don't think he fully understood the Apple NDA :)

Lets hope so!

P.S. I can't wait to get home and open my new iBook! And I was able to show two other co-workers away from the Dark Side, and they are both purchasing iBooks next week. :) Maybe they are "switch-hitters"?

10. macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Powerbook Keyboards

The back lit keyboard would motivate me to buy the new 15.4" powerbook as i work
    in poor lighting often and anything that could help my aging eyes is welcome.
    I am sure there are many other baby boomers out there who would welcome any visual aids.

11. macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    Why is it ALWAYS .4? Why bother changing the current form factor when they could just modify it for use with Aluminum... sticking with 15.2".

Now, Apple could prove me wrong, but seriously. I think 15.4" was pulled from the length of the 17" PowerBook.

12. macrumors G3

The only reason I can think of for Apple to change the screen size would be if they had to change LCD manufacturers.

Well, actually one other reason, if they don't increase the processor speed, it's another reason for people to get a new 15.x" PowerBook.

13. macrumors 65816

yzedf

15.4" is the new LCD size that is being standardized. For apple and the 16*10 aspect.

Remember, screen size is a diagonal(sp?) measurement. Top-left to bottom-right...

14. macrumors regular

deleted

15. macrumors regular

MUrhino

Powerbook update predictions

I saw on macwhispers that they have products listed as to the likelihood that they will be released this coming week. As of today they have the new 15.4" PB and new iPods coming out. They are stated as "Very likely, ready to go". The had Xserve listed as "Possible but not certain", but that came out today. Let's hope they're right! C'mon Apple....I've been waiting for almost a year for the perfect laptop...or damn near close:D

16. macrumors newbie

15inch Superdrive $1999??

First post here,

anyhow, a computer store of UC Irvine just cut some price of 15inch Superdrive to $1999 !!!
    http://grace.book.uci.edu/bookstore/computer/pbook/pbooks.html
    (it's a student, faculty, staff.etc. deal but still amazing price)

Not sure but apple really wants to get rid of stocks ASAP it seems.

Will be a new 15inch this week?

17. macrumors 65816

Haha, click on "upgrade" on the $1999 Pbook and look at the text on the browser window..."Dell computers pricing"

...well, not quite....

18. macrumors member

Good Lord, recon from MOSR stating that it will be weeks means that we should expect the new PowerBooks anyday now.

For the love of God, they're accuracy has been so poor lately they should be embarrassed posting anything to their site anymore. Ugh.

However, I would bet that it won't be until mid to late March before we see revisions. PLEASE LET IT BE SO and gimmie the cool backlit keyboard!

19. macrumors 6502

I'm still not sure why anyone would expect Apple to release a new 15PB anytime before >90% of the 17PB orders are shipped. If they came out next week soooooo many 17 orders would be cancelled it's not even funny. They'll probably be pretty similar machines and folks will look at the price difference and switch down to the 15.

They'd be better served just stockpiling the things so that they can ship immediately when they are announced. Meanwhile, they can watch as profits from the 17 roll in the door.

20. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Do you really think that many 17" orders would be cancelled? I'm sure some would, but w/the 17" being so big I though most people would stay away from it unless they needed a screen that large. And if they bought it for the screen size I doubt they'd "down grade" to the 15. Just my thoughs. I've never purchased a laptop so WTF do I know? ;)

Lethal

21. macrumors newbie

OK, I will be the sacrificial lamb. I just bought a 1 GHz TiBook, so the new one can come out next week.

Actually, I bought a 12 inch Powerbook, but had to return TWO of them as defective out of the box (one had a broken key, and the other a broken VGA out port).

I'll stick with titanium until the rev. B Aluminum 15 inch comes out. I have wasted too much time returning new machines.

-- dhb

22. macrumors member

About the screen size

The LG-Philips 15.2" scren now used is a two year old design. Now, LG-Philips and Chi Mei Optoelectronics both have 15.4" panels at 1280x800 pixels... a 54 pixel vertical resolution reduction, I know. BUT, both of these latest generation panels have specs that simply spank the screen in the present TiBook, with the Chi Mei panel being slightly the superior, with over 75% color saturation (for one item). Either panel makes the present TiBook screen look like a washed out mess.

The Chi Mei panel, even with slightly better specs than the LG-Philips option has OEM pricing a full US$90.00 less than the LG-Philips panel.

Of the three options discussed, which would you choose?

That's why we're going to be seeing a 15.4-inch screen.

23. macrumors 6502

That, and it adds another thing to make people buy, I am looking at the 12" pbook for portability, but a 15.4 with better specs, widescreen, etc might appeal to me, as with a larger body, they can make a larger battery, and slightly increase battery life (I hope, im not sure how the 14" iBook's bigger battery lasts while driving the larger screen) Plus if it has the backlit keyboard, i just might get one.

24. macrumors 68000

john123

Re: About the screen size

I'll take my washed out mess and keep my 54 pixels, thank you very much.

I'm pretty satisfied with the screen on my TiBook. In fact, I keep it at half brightness almost all the time to spare the backlight (it amazes me how many people are convinced that each new laptop has a screen that is "so much brighter" than their old one or a friend's -- more often than not, the biggest part of the difference is because you're comparing a new backlight to a used one, you dummy!)

In fact, if I were to have one criticism, it's resolution. I want more pixels. OS X's font smoothing was a decent idea I guess, but with our current screens, it leaves a lot to be desired in the way of implementation. The multicolored pixel effect annoys me and others (take a look at lower-case L's in the menu bar -- that vertical band of red just drives me nuts), and it would be much mittigated if our friends in Cupertino would slap a high-res screen in our PowerBooks.

And for those folks who claim that would make the fonts "too small," you can use that technology built into OS X and scale everything up.

25. macrumors G3

Re: About the screen size

I would hate to lose the 54 pixels of vertical resolution.

And as for the screen quality, I keep the brightness on my TiBook about 3 notches down from maximum usually. If the display is actually better, it might be a draw, but I won't actually be replacing the TiBook for at least a year, so I'll have to see what Apple has in the product line then.