Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubbelhund

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: Powerbook Keyboards

Originally posted by nicmac
I hope the finish on the new 15" keyboard is better than the 12" powerbook. Apple can do better than that. I would rather see a "Bronze" style keyboard with a back light rather than that cheap painted silver finish.
What do you think?

Yep I agree. Anything is better than the butt ugly "trying to fake aluminum" keys. it looks like crap. although the backlight feature is a great idea, the exposed connections (ibook style) are just begging to get crap stuck in there. Thank god for my 1Ghz Ti Bk.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i am still wondering about what apple is gonna do about the 15 inchers. they are fairly new and they just came out with the 17 at 1gz. the 15 is 1ghz as well. if they update them will they keep the same processor, that doesnt make to much sense. i still think apple will keep it around and get there product dates evened out and then update all of them at the same time. but who knows, this is just my guess and i am more than likely wrong. we just have to admit we will never know whats goin on in the brain of apple.

iJon

mattbills

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by agreenster
Regardless, Im torn as well. I just sold my Ti550 and am ready to get the 15.2 1Ghz...........but if the 15.4 is a month away, Im willing to wait. Now, 3 months....im not so sure.

I hate being one of those people who never buy because they know a new revision is coming, but this revision is very big. New aluminum case, DDR ram, built in bluetooth, FW800, etc....

and who can resisit that cool keyboard?

WHAT TO DO?

I must be TOTALLY uninformed here! Why do people think that they are going to make the new screen a 15.4"?? isn't that a bit silly?

In response to waiting for the revision....IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!! Even the HD spins faster...it seems everything will be so much better!

Question for Steve Jobs: Why are Macs so SWEET?!!?!?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by mattbills

I must be TOTALLY uninformed here! Why do people think that they are going to make the new screen a 15.4"?? isn't that a bit silly?

In response to waiting for the revision....IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!! Even the HD spins faster...it seems everything will be so much better!

Question for Steve Jobs: Why are Macs so SWEET?!!?!?

Where did you come up with this nonsense? I can guarantee you the hard drives will be the exact same ones they use in the current models.

Good grief...

pmh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2003
Why not a few new laptop announcements

Perhaps Apple will even things out a bit with the next PB anouncement (this month I'm still hoping):

New 17" 1.33GHz (Available late April)
'Old' 17" 1GHz (Shipping March)

New 15.4" 1.25GHz (Available late April)
New 15.4" 1.00Ghz (Shipping March)

New 12" 1.00GHz (Available late April)
'Old' 12" 867MHz (Shipping Now)

This helps fence sitters, like myself, stay in place - now that I;ve waited for the 15.4/1GHz, I should wait a bit longer for the 15.4/1.25GHz

--
paul

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Yes, I do think that quite a few people would cancell their 17PB orders if a new 15 came out in the next week or so. It's easy convince yourselft that it's better to save that premium $ from the larger screen (or get worried that it's too big to tote) and spend it elsewhere or not at all. It's an easy decision right now since it's either an "old" smaller version or a "new" bigger version with the new toy factor. If they update the 15 too soon, it will have almost the identical toy factor as the 17 just with a smaller screen - yet a size that everyone is used to. Once it's in hand - it should be hard to turn it down though.

pmh's suggestions seem feasible, although I obviously disagree with the timing. Yes I realize he said "hoping".

Although I would think that they would only have his "new" suggestions at the store. Especially the 17. It seems to me that they might offer only one "premium" option. But I can see offering two 12's and maybe two 15's. Although it does seem a bit silly to me to update the 15 with almost identical specs (1Ghz etc).

Good thoughts though. Certainly could happen. I'm curious why you say 1.33 and not 1.42?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
To pmh:

why would apple update something that has not started to ship yet?

and i think the 1.25GHz is a more likely choice... ;)

mattbills

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by john123

Where did you come up with this nonsense? I can guarantee you the hard drives will be the exact same ones they use in the current models.

Good grief...

OOPS! you're right just the 17" will have a faster spinning drive...sorry!

-mattbills

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

OOPS! you're right just the 17" will have a faster spinning drive...sorry!

-mattbills

Not them either. 4200rpm across the board....

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Why not a few new laptop announcements

Originally posted by pmh
Perhaps Apple will even things out a bit with the next PB anouncement (this month I'm still hoping):

New 17" 1.33GHz (Available late April)
'Old' 17" 1GHz (Shipping March)

New 15.4" 1.25GHz (Available late April)
New 15.4" 1.00Ghz (Shipping March)

New 12" 1.00GHz (Available late April)
'Old' 12" 867MHz (Shipping Now)

This helps fence sitters, like myself, stay in place - now that I;ve waited for the 15.4/1GHz, I should wait a bit longer for the 15.4/1.25GHz

--
paul

This has about a snowball's chance in the land down under...

mattbills

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2003

Not them either. 4200rpm across the board....

12 inch and 17 inch powerbooks have a faster data transfer rate (ata/100) the older 15inch has an ata/66. there is a considerable difference here.

-mattbills

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

12 inch and 17 inch powerbooks have a faster data transfer rate (ata/100) the older 15inch has an ata/66. there is a considerable difference here.

-mattbills

That's the bus speed. That's not a "faster spinning drive" as you originally referred to it. The speed at which a drive spins is measured in rpm, and the common speed on laptops is 4200rpm. You can get 5400rpm drives, but they use more power.

mattbills

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2003

That's the bus speed. That's not a "faster spinning drive" as you originally referred to it. The speed at which a drive spins is measured in rpm, and the common speed on laptops is 4200rpm. You can get 5400rpm drives, but they use more power.

I stand corrected!

mattbills

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2003
Does anybody think the new Albooks feel cheap?

I was in comp usa just now and they had a demo of the new 12" powerbook. i can't say i love the new keyboard...it feels a bit cheap! are the keys aluminum or just painted plastic?? if painted, will the paint wear off? the old charcoal color keys were aewsome! the new ones feel like they might break easy. hmmm... any ideas?

ALSO....HEEEEEEELP MEEEEEEE!!!!!! I am debating between getting the new 17" Albook and the new top of the line Powermac with a 23" HD screen. What would you fellow mac users get? i'm used to the powerbook, and i have wireless internet in my house....so it's awesome plopping on the couch in front of the TV, and checking email and stuff, but is the huge gorgeous HD display and a performance boos worth staying stationary? what would you guys do???

-Mattbills

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
if you are used to a portable, a desktop might feel restricted. But if you want a sort of compromise, get the display and the powerbook, and get a DVI ADC adapter, you could even get a Pro keyboard and mouse and "dock" the laptop, and make it a temporary desktop. Or get a laptop and a desktop......

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
Originally posted by agreenster
Regardless, Im torn as well. I just sold my Ti550 and am ready to get the 15.2 1Ghz...........but if the 15.4 is a month away, Im willing to wait. Now, 3 months....im not so sure.

I hate being one of those people who never buy because they know a new revision is coming, but this revision is very big. New aluminum case, DDR ram, built in bluetooth, FW800, etc....

and who can resisit that cool keyboard?

WHAT TO DO?

I learned my lesson. By the last models at a way cheaper price O:)

When the new machines come out, go snatch up one of the old ones a few weeks later.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i could see the dropping of the 15" inch model's titanium shell, because of it's difficulty in manufacturing and cost, in favor of an aluminum shell

in most cases, aluminum is strong enough...so is magnesium alloy

still, the most important thing for me in a pro machine is what is on the inside

Polyktor

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going with GP, buy the TiBook once the new ones are out. Any good suggestions where to run to in order to get an "old" TiBook 1ghz when the new 15" ones come out?

-P

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Does anybody think the new Albooks feel cheap?

ALSO....HEEEEEEELP MEEEEEEE!!!!!! I am debating between getting the new 17" Albook and the new top of the line Powermac with a 23" HD screen. What would you fellow mac users get? i'm used to the powerbook, and i have wireless internet in my house....so it's awesome plopping on the couch in front of the TV, and checking email and stuff, but is the huge gorgeous HD display and a performance boos worth staying stationary? what would you guys do???

-Mattbills

I don't buy the first version of anything new. Always have more problems. Avoid the 17" PB for now. When it comes to fruition, it will have issues. Wait and see how bad they are first, then decide. Plus, you can upgrade the tower so much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.