Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
how about they sort out the many flaws with the current macbook before messing around with another model.

sort out the HDD's crapping out due to over heat,
sort out the poor ventilation resulting in the above,
sort out how horrid looking the black macbook becomes after a month of use by giving us better designed trackpad
get rid of the damned G950 and give us GMA3000 (minimum)

:rolleyes: I'm already on my 2nd major fault with my macbook black, and i'm just waiting for a third so I can get a full refund and buy a macbook pro instead.

Worst apple laptop I've ever bought.

For what it's worth, the GMA3000 has only just started appearing (personally I haven't even seen that many laptops using it yet, just a few Gateway desktops). From the tone of your post, it makes it sound like Apple is dropping the ball by still using the GMA950, and I don't think that's really fair considering most every other PC laptop in the same price range uses that part (well, not the $1500 price range, but that's different).

Regarding the trackpad on the blackbook, I am not sure what Apple could do there really. Most every laptop I know of that uses a black trackpad ends up with similar "wear" issues.

-Zadillo

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
Exactly - let's talk about prices. Here's my guess...I guess, :D

13.3" MB (white) | $999 - $1099
13.3" MB (black) | $1199 - $1299
15" MB (white) | $1299-1399
15" MB (black) | $1499

12" MBP | $1699 (if it happened)
15" MBP | $1999
15" MBP | $2499
17" MBP | $2799

That looks good. Except my resell value of my c2d Macbook would take a huge hit.

Ultimatetone

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
-
A 15.4 MacBook would be a better value if they also -

made BLACK a no-fee option
rolled-out the rumored LED displays
added the rumored faster-booting flash design as well.​

Two of these features potentially could increase the battery life (hours).

Ultimatetone

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Everyone has a cheap 15 inch laptop....except apple.
My girlfriend bought a 15 inch HP for $500 because the macbook screen was too small for her.
I think apple is missing this market. Not everyone can afford a pro machine for screen size.

Agreed !!! My boss would not pay $1999 for a 15.4 screen (nor would I!!)... so he bought a Leveno... MacBook was just too small for him. Everyone on this site is Hardcore MAC .. so ofcourse all the posts are going to have people whinning about more Pro options.... Apple will always sell to these people... Apple needs to start selling to peple like my boss!! They need a competitive 15.4 Lap Top....

Zukum

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Who needs a MBP? MB's are just as great.

I'm looking for a black 13 or 15.4" MBP with possibly a faster processor...some have suggested 2.66ghz and led backlit displays....the whole point of the mbp isn't necessarily portability but pure processing power. It's meant to be a powerhouse. If they pack everything into something smaller, they will most likely have the heat issues again along with plenty of other problems. I bought a $2700 gift card to the apple store in hopes that I would have a better MBP by march or april and I'm definitely not wasting it on a 12" if I'm looking to do photo and movie editing. I'm a media major (photoshop, illustrator, final cut, after fx, dreamweaver, flash, maya) I use them all.

I'm glad to have another consumer line option. All I'd get for the extra $700-$1200 on a MBP is a fancy aluminum case, the independent graphics card and a larger screen. According to macrumors.com, the independent graphics card only helps with 3D gaming (not Mac's forte, yet) or 3D pro aps (not Final Cut, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, etc- see http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_a_MacBook_versus_MacBook_Pro). So I'd end up spending twice the price of a Macbook for 2" of screen and the aluminum facade.

As a sidenote, I'm not a pro, and don't use the other software you mentioned above. For all I know, you would benefite from the independent graphics card. However, I'll bet 90% of the people in this forum who are disheartened to not have a new MBP have too much money in their pockets to burn and only care about being seen in public with the aluminum case.

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
This would definitely be good news. There are plenty of computer users who look at apple laptops, see that you have to spend $2k+ just to get a decent sized screen and walk away. These users don't post on MR forums, they just need a computer for basic tasks. MacOS would be great for them, they can't screw it up with malware etc, no viruses to worry about and they can do all they need to (and more) with the applications already installed.

Will it eat some MBP sales? sure! Will Apple sell more and still make a good profit margin on them (probably no different margin than the MBP)? sure!

Pros and those who need better graphics etc will buy a MBP, those who don't will buy a MB 15", apple will sell more laptops, improve market share and profit.

I'll admit I would like to see a smaller ~12 MBP more, but i'm not the average mac user, and neither are 75% of people even reading this.

Overall I thought apple had a good lineup with their 2 ibooks and 3 powerbooks. Adding a larger screen MacBook is half the difference, and a small MBP would bring the line to reasonably meet 90+% of any users needs.
People who need a super-rugged (panasonic toughbook type) laptop, or a tablet really aren't profitable segments for Apple at this point.

Now if we could fill in a few holes in the desktop line (an affordable mini that's designed for budget with inexpensive desktop components for $500, something ANYTHING between the mini and Mac Pro-even a downgraded Mac Pro, just something ~1500) complaints about Apple's hardware selection discouraging new users would really decline.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Just a thought: Apple could add a 15" consumer MB... and STILL add new MB Pro models too. The existence of a new consumer model does nothing to dash the hopes of professionals.

If there is demand for a 15" MB (I can't say, but the bulky 14" iBook sold well) then why should it bother people to have that demand met?

I want a 9" aluminum ultrathin with 128 VRAM, but a new consumer machine I don't want doesn't hurt my chances of getting what I do want.

(Note: nobody "wants a smaller screen on a pro machine"... they want a smaller pro machine! Physics dictates that the screen cannot be larger than the machine :) )

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Why would you want a smaller screen on a more expensive machine? It doesn't make sense...:confused:

As it has already been mentioned by others: Portability.

And as you are talking about the price, small PC laptops are often more expensive than the larger models of the same manufacturers. They are kind of a premium segment of the laptop market. Only Apple seem to strictly follow the rule: Smaller machine -> Cheaper price.

Laptops can be significantly smaller than what Apple currently offer. Reduce the size to something like 12" and make it thinner. A lot of space in the machine could be gained by removing the optical drive. I don't know about the majority of people but I rarely ever use my optical drive. And if I do, it is usually to install something or make a backup. This is always at my desk, where I could just as well use an external drive. So having the option for a laptop without optical drive would be great.

Anklosaur

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
Me too. A 13.3" MBP would sell much better than a 15.4 MacBook (more people want one)

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Yes, there is a place for a MBP that starts @ ~$2,000. I'll even grant that there's a market, albeit smaller than most think, for a 12" MBP (I wager around $1,800, if not higher). But I think there are a lot more people like me... with a couple of kids who need good solid laptops with 15" screens to see them through the last year or 2 of high school and into college, but are no where near being able to come up with $2,000+ for each one. If there were a 15" MB (or a cheaper MBP) There'd be 2 more sales for Apple today. Instead, we'll continue to limp by with what we've got for a couple more months on the off chance something new is in the wings. I wager Apple could sell twice as many 15" MB as 12" MBP.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
when the macbooks were first introduced last may, I wrote many times that there should be both a small MBP and a large MB. There's simply no reason to think that "pro" users want only large screens and "consumer" users want only small screens. I think that the 17" should stay "pro" only, but I'd really like to see both a 12" MBP and a 15" MB. It's not one or the other - there's a market for both.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I have been thinking about a 15.4" MB lately because I don't really like the MBP keys and feel of the trackpad (it's kinda weird I know), and I don't like the 13.3" screen size of the MB. So a 15.4" MB (black, I like the smoothness) would make me happier than a kid at Chuck-E-Cheese.

Zukum

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Anybody think they might implement the "ultra-thin" technology in this 15" Macbook?

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
There is a market for this. My wife wants a larger screen than the MB but
doesn't need all the power of a pro. I say, bring 'em on!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
is there any market for this? wouldn't it be more logical a small mbp?

No, as nice as the MBP is, they are not selling as well as the MB due to price. But people's main complaint about the MB and the reason I will not buy one is the screen. It is to small and lacks an anti-glare coating.

If Apple could have a MB that would sell at a competitive price and have a full size screen it would sell well. But the current line up offers a choise between a very expensive or very small notebook and no "mainstream" model. Looks like they are fixing this

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I won't regret not waiting. I wouldn't want anything larger than the 13 inch of the current macbook.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Crap

There is no need for a 15 inch MB... no one wants something that heavy and it isn't Apples motif. It would work better if Apple made a 14.4" or something. With the lack of a 12" widescreen book there would be no need for a 15"

Besides, what will it have over the 13.3 screen besides a larger screen? It it added a larger processor and cost $1500 then it would squeeze in between top white and black MacBooks. Errr:confused: :confused: I just don't see where it fits into Apple's line up. And with the 15"MBP offering a lot more than the MacBooks, I think it is a good deal at $2000.

If Apple made a 14.? inch screen for the MacBooks and a 12.? icnh widescreen for the MacBook Pros I think they would fill their lineup much better.

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
I want the 12" MacBook (pro or not)

The current MacBook (yes, I've got one) is way big for those of us used to the 12" Aluminum Powerbook, especially if you do any real travelling.

I love the thinness of the MacBook, but it still feels too tall and too wide.

I've used a 12" widescreen Dell and it "felt" fine (IIRC, it was similar in dimensions to the Powerbook, only about 1.5cm wider)

Easily-replacable hard drive would be a plus (as with the MacBook)

Hopefully they'll improve the freakish keyboard (what's with all the space between the keys) and relatively insensitive trackpad button (must click squarely in the middle or it doesn't register) that the MacBook is plagued with currently.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Exactly - let's talk about prices. Here's my guess...I guess, :D

13.3" MB (white) | $999 - $1099
13.3" MB (black) | $1199 - $1299
15" MB (white) | $1299-1399
15" MB (black) | $1499

12" MBP | $1699 (if it happened)
15" MBP | $1999
15" MBP | $2499
17" MBP | $2799

Jeez, i thought apple was about simplicity. With that lineup and price structure, and the overlap in features, i would have a hard time deciding what to buy. Unless your on the ends your gonna be thinking a lot before you buy.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
This has to be a JOKE, at least in my case. I so desperately want a MATTE SMALLER screen not bigger :(.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I bet Apple makes more profit on the consumer laptops. And with the upgrades. The bigger screen will be good for the older demographic that doesn't need a graphics card in their laptop for games and want to spend less.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
No, as nice as the MBP is, they are not selling as well as the MB due to price. But people's main complaint about the MB and the reason I will not buy one is the screen. It is to small and lacks an anti-glare coating.

If Apple could have a MB that would sell at a competitive price and have a full size screen it would sell well. But the current line up offers a choise between a very expensive or very small notebook and no "mainstream" model. Looks like they are fixing this

The MBP are selling welll. They aren't selling as well as the MBs because the MBs are for consumers and everyone wants one. I don't think too many people are complaining about glossy screen.... I used too... and it is very easy to get used to them and they don't reflect as many people tend to think. The 13.3 inch screen is a bit small and tighter on the height end than the 12" powerbook that i use every now and then, but the screen is of a good size.

I can see why some people would want a larger screen on the book, but what else are you gaining over the screen? And is that worth adding the possible $300 - $500 and a pound or so of weight. I have a 15" MBP and it isn't that heavy but my girlfriend's 12" PowerBook is light and powerful and weighs nothing compared to my MBP. Smaller is the way to go. If you need a larger screen then the 15" is more expensive and a bit too powerful for some, but is well worth the price. And for those that think it is too powerful, remember that that power will become standard in future model MBs so the MBP you have now will last you that much longer. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.