15" Airport reception

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by erics_son, Jan 8, 2003.

1. erics_son macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I am inches away from buying a 15" 667 Mhz Powerbook. Reasonably cheap etc. I'm trading up from a 400 Mhz G4 Tower.
    One of the main reasons to do this is so that I can get an Airport set up and then surf away happily from anywhere in my flat.
    Then I come in here and hear loads of bad stuff about 15" Powerbook airport reception.
    Can someone tell me details about the problems? Is it mainly a networking problem that won't affect normal net use? Is it a problem with how far you can be from the base?
    If someone can tell me then I may well just save myself a lot of grief from myself and the Missus.
    Cheers
    Steven

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

A lot of people have reported problems with poor reception on the TiBooks, due to the Titanium casing and the placement of the antennas.

I haven't had any problems using mine in my home, using a D-Link access point on the upper floor and using my TiBook on the lower floor.

If you plan to mainly use it at home, I don't think you'll have too many problems, if any.

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

My experience has been similar. I find the reception better than my PC laptop on my Ti-Book. (Although just slightly) When I got the new D-Link wireless router I can go anywhere in my small house with 50% strength.

I think most of the comments pertain when comparing an iBook to a Ti-Book.

4. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    not "bad", but not "good" either

I've had a 667 which I just switched up to a 1GHz, both with airport. and although I'm happy with the range I get with it, it's obvious that the range is hampered by the titanium. While sitting about 3 feet away from the access point I only have about 85% signal strength.

5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

If you feel like being pissed off a lot, then buy it!!!!
    I can be an inch a way from my ABS and the signal will only be at %80!!!! :mad: :mad:
    If I go thirty feet away, the signal just dies!!.This is very annoying!! Because I spent all this money on the wireless network and it sucx big time!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

So if you using the 667 for basic stuff, get the new 12?
    Just my ten cents!!! ;) :D

6. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

The Ti's airport reception is often 1 to 2 bars lower than an iBooks reception

Honestly, it will work pretty well in most places.....I wouldn't worry about purchasing the 667

7. erics_son thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers

Well thanks everyone for that.
    Bit of conflicting opinions there.
    I think I'm gonna go for it. I'll let you know if I've made a mistake or not in due time...

Thanks again,

Steve