15" Al Powerbook (1st gen) keyboard issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jcgerm, Jul 1, 2005.

1. jcgerm macrumors member

May 28, 2003
    So, Sept. 2003 (literally as soon as they were announced) I made the mistake of ordering a 15" Al Powerbook (not that I completely regret it, but hear me out). The next 6 months were pretty much a nightmare due to the battery that wouldn't hold a charge for more than 1 1/2 hours, the keyboard (as a whole) becoming loose and making sticky sounds, and of course the dreaded white spots on the LCD. After 6 months and 5 different repairs (they flat out refused to replace the system), I finally had a system that worked as it should. This was definitely the last time I ever buy a 1st gen. Apple product, but that's beside the point.

Now, July 2005, (yes, I have Applecare) the keyboard problem has started to return. It started with the ESC key being sticky and over the past 2 weeks it has spread toward the middle of the keyboard. A few of the number keys are sticky, as well as function keys, the ~, tab key, etc. It's not the keys themselves, but rather the double sided tape that keeps the keyboard in place. I wouldn't care so much if it were just the ESC key, but the problem seems to be spreading and I'm worried it's going to get really bad again. I'm curious if anyone else has had these problems.

I'll be calling Applecare this afternoon about the problem, but last time I went through 2 repairs and the machine was sent back in the same condition. The only parts that are original from the time I ordered the Powerbook are the hard drive, mainboard, and DVD drive. Everything else has been replaced one or more times. That might be hard for some of you to believe, but that's not my point anyway. The point is that it took a phone call from my school's Apple Rep's Manager to even get Applecare serious about the problem. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this kind of keyboard problem I'm talking about and if Applecare recognizes it as a problem. Hopefully the problem will be resolved quicker this time. Thanks to anyone who responds.

2. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

Jun 13, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Jeremy -
    I would ask to speak to a manager at Apple when you call. Explain how many repairs you've had, and say that you just do not believe this machine can make it more than a couple months without a repair. Ask politely for a replacement.

If that doesn't work, email sjobs@apple.com . This is obviously not going to be read by Steve Jobs, but is read by a team of CSRs. Mention how many times you've had to send back your machine, and how much trouble it's given you. Say you're considering a switch to IBM or something. Leave your name, phone number and email. In a couple days you're likely to hear from rep more eager to help your resolve your issue than an applecare rep.

I hate when companies try this stuff on their loyal customers. Good luck. :)
  3. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    He answers sometimes.