15" G4 Powerbook... Macos X included?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by netytan, May 23, 2004.

1. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

This may seem a little dumb but I have to admit I've been wondering about this once for a while now. Right, I know that Powerbooks ship with the latest version of Mac OS X (panther) installed but what has be stumped is...

Am i getting the full, official version (as sold on the apple wesite in the sweet black box) or one of those stupid repair disks that you so often find on Windows PC's - even though for the amount you paid for the computer you should at least get the official version ;).

I guess I just like to know where my money is going before i fork out for anything, and being a student, thats not something i have a huge amound of :D. However having recently fallen inlove with the Mac OS X I've desided to go all out and save up for a new Powerbook :cool:.

Thanks in advance guys, much apreciated!

Mark.

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its a comination of the two systems really.

If you get a powerbook you will probably get a restore DVD. This will not come in a panther box but it will include a pretty much version of panther. The disc will probably only work on your computer (the model not the specific serial number). So you can install a full version and reinstall all the apps...

so yes its the full retail version but it can not be installed on other computer without quite a bit of reworking and tech savy. Reinstalling or formatting from a disc like this is as easy as doing it from the standard disc

3. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Shame, But I guess I can live with that untill I can afford the boxed version - maybe when the next version of Mac OS X comes along - since my brain isn't gonna give up untill I'm sat infront of a nice, new, PowerBook *drules*.

One question, are the Developer tools included on the DVD resore disk? Since IMO this is one of the most apealing aspects of Mac OS X right now :).

Thanks again,

Mark.

4. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Yeah, pretty sure dev tools are included on the restore DVD. They're basically included with all Macs and OS X copies.

5. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Thats good news, i was just wondering since the Dev' tools are included on a seperate CD with the boxed version of Mac OS X. I'll start saving and go for it!

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark.

6. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Hmmmmm I'm just setting up my new PB and all I got was the restore DVD and a blank CD - no disk with developer tools on it at all.

I've got a couple of boxes with Panther in them, so I'm sure I've got the tools around here so I'm not stuck, but I wonder why they weren't in with the PowerBook.

M

7. captain kirk macrumors member

They are in with the powerbook. They will have been installed on the hard drive along with the os install, not sure exactly where, try utilities folder.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Macintosh HD/Applications/Installers/Developer Tools

Most likely.

---

The Restore CD/DVDs may not always be the latest versions as found on the HD, but all they need to be is new enough to be updateable to the most current version of the OS that shipped with the machine through the updater.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'm not sure why your so focused on the "boxed version" they are the same.

10. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Well there they are - helps when you get your eyes pried all the way open :D :D :D m

11. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Use ADC

Hi, I am a student and signed up for the ADC (Apple Developer Connection) and got an amazing discount ($500) and by paying $100 to join ADC, they send you an actual original full copy of OS x shrinkwrapped in black plastic. So you spend $100 to get the full version, developer software, and a super huge discount. I'd go that route, it's really easy too and the people on the phone are very nice.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

My experience has differed from what you say, Kwyjibo. The Jaguar DVD that came with my rev. B 12" PB has a true full version on it, not a version specific to rev. B 12" powerbooks. I know this because I have installed in on other models of mac - solely to investigate this issue, of course! ;)

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

why would you want to buy the boxed version when you get everything except the box with your computer? if you want I'll sell you my boxed version of Panther, box included :p, and they aren't restore cds, they are the actual thing if it makes you feel any better.

14. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

yes it's the same version than retail box, there's no difference. save your money on panther and buy tiger when it's released. then you have a nice box for christmas ;)

boxes, more boxes and even more boxes... who wants boxes? they are usually just full of air.

15. cazlar macrumors 6502

Plus, another reason not to buy the boxed version is that if your model was released after the OS (10.3 in this case), the boxed version may not be able to boot on your Mac. This is because newer builds of the OS will contain support for newer hardware.

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

my new rev c 12" didn't have the developer stuff on the restore disks. i used a xcode dev cd that came with the disks i have for the upgrade of a different machine (a rev b belonging to my boss).

even then there was a prob with gcc not being able to compile due to /usr/lib/crt1.o being missing. (which i eventually found and copied from /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.0.sdk/usr/lib)

a little bit shoddy that and something i don't expect of apple. i've never had a linux distn. do that to me.

17. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Just to clear this up, its not that i'm an obsessive student who just needs the box ;). I'm simply remembering the crap OS which came when i got my PC a few years ago. The thing was:

1. Highly unstable (even for Windows) and slow (both problems went away only after shelling out for the actual Disks :mad: ).
    2. Didn't seem to be the full version of Windows at that.

So i desided that in future i will make sure what the resore disk is actually like and what it includes :). The third reason being that i wanted the developers tools! And simply wanted to make sure they were included since Apple and all the MacOS X books i've looked at states that they are on a seperate CD in the boxed version and that you have to install them yourself.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark.