15 ghz+.....wow

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by squirrellydw, Jan 20, 2004.

1. squirrellydw macrumors regular

squirrellydw

From Mac OS Rumors

*PowerPC 975 - POWER5 core, 90-nanometer/11-layer CMOS process, Hyperthreading, 3GHz+ (previously planned as PPC 980)
    *PowerPC 976 - POWER5 Dual Core, 65nm SSOI (Strained Silicon On Insulator) process, VMX2 instructions, 4GHz+
    *PowerPC 980 - POWER6 core, 65nm/11-layer FinFET/SSOI process, VMX2, 5GHz+
    *PowerPC 985 - POWER7 Dual Core, 45nm, 9GHz+
    *PowerPC 990 - POWER8 Multi-Core, 32nm, 15GHz+

The PowerPC 976, the first dual-core 97x chip based on the POWER5 architecture, will probably ship in mid-2005 and will also be the first PowerPC to use the VMX2 vector ("Velocity Engine") instruction set; VMX2 will vastly increase the range of applications that will benefit from AltiVec/Velocity Engine-optimized code as well as the performance of that code. In particular, watch for Apple to tout VMX2's impressive 3D graphics performance.
    The single-core PPC 980 will be Apple's workhorse high-end processor beginning in early 2006 and variants will probably still be powering low-end Macs until nearly 2010.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In late 2006, the PPC 985 will take over the high end of the Mac with a return to dual-core architecture based on POWER7. By this time IBM and Apple project that the cost to performance ratio of the PPC 9xx family will be no less than 5X that of any planned or otherwise likely competitor processor from Intel.
    Although processors after the 985 run so far into the future as to be impractical to speculate upon, one notable feature mentioned in internal Apple documents is "the ability to emulate Intel architectures with performance no less than 2X that of native solutions." Interesting....

2. insidedanshead macrumors regular

macosrumors.com is a joke.. take what they say lightly.. or ... better yet, not at all.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    when was the las time they had a credible rumor

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

i saw this earlier today and its seriously one of the dumbest things I think i've read in a while. The power 4 has been around how long? a few years now at least. And they think they are going to be up to the power 7, 3 generations of architecture further than where we are today, in two years. It would take longer than that to design and tape out those processors, not to mention get the fab facilities up and running. This schedule is not physically possible in my opinion, and there is no incentive for IBM to go invest in three generations of processor that are radically different enough to call a new processor family in so short of time. They'd end up selling each processor for only like 6 months a piece. its just stupid.

5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i don't doubt that these are horrible rumors... but man, all i can day dream about now is a dual 15GHz PowerMac... wow, i just wet myself again... :eek: :D

6. squirrellydw thread starter macrumors regular

squirrellydw

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

MacOSRumors is using their time machine again....but its not had a great track record in the past.....probably due to traveling to alternate probabilities, not our own timeline :D

Given that, I'd love to have a dual, dual core 990 at 15+ GHz.... it might actually be fast enough to do realtime radiosity rendering at HDTV res....that's what I'm waiting for.

D

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

getting a little ahead of ourselves arent we? after all we have G4s in every product but 1. if they were to keep up with these IBM estimate they would be updating product a lot faster then what we are seeing. 6 month bumps wouldnt cut it. remember where this came from. a site not known for high accuracy.

9. macpoweruser macrumors newbie

Silly rumor

I wish this were all true but coming up with a totally new chip every year is something even Intel (with its deep pockets) isn't doing.

Besides, people at IBM would not be stupid enough to say something like 'X years down the road, we'll have chips that are 5 times the speed of anything our competitors have planned.' Has anyone actually seen farsighted roadmaps of the Power series independent of this rumor?

I know Mac OS Rumors is a rumor collection site but they need better BS filters!

10. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

I think they should rename their site to:
    MacRubbish.com
    :D