15 inch PB 1.5 Ghz with new 20 Inch Cinema display

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by aussie_geek, Aug 25, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I am thinking of throwing some cash at one of Apple's 20 inch cinema displays to complement my Powerbook. :cool: Has anyone done the same - 15 inch PB with the new 20 inch monitor?

I will be wanting to operate the PB with the lid closed option and with an Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I have read in the Apple discussions forums about some people having problems with the lid closed operation saying that it will only work with a USB mouse and keyboard connected to the PB. Is this correct? Or will it be ok with the blutooth setup. :confused:

If anyone has the combo running and they would like to post a pic of the setup it would be great. :)

Thanks,

aussie_geek

2. macrumors 6502a

I can't answer your more "technical" question as I neither use my PB with the lid closed nor have a bluetooth mouse/keyboard, but I can assure you that the new 20" display is absolutely beautiful and goes very well with the 15" AluBook. But see for yourself:

P.S. If anybody should want to know, the car on the 20" is a Maserati Quattroporte (which I can obviously only dream of owning :eek: )

Attached Files:

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

i'm gettin one! -

Good stuff!!! (the geek is wiping drool of his keyboard...) :p

That's done it - i'm gettin one!!

If anyone else has any insights regarding the bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo your comments would be great. :)

aussie_geek

ps - just went to maserati specs - quite a nice beast! :cool:

4. macrumors 6502a

Yeah... [insert dreamy-eyed emoticon here] Pure class, and costs slightly less than 77 20" Cinema Displays! :eek:

5. macrumors 68000

wPod

yeah can you sign me up for one of those monitors as well? i think it would complement my 12" PB just as well as it does the 15" . . . plus i would actually have room on my desk in my new apt. . . my 19" CRT is enormous!!!!

6. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

Ohh I love your setup, wish I had enough money to get the same. Not to talk about the Maserati.

7. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm in aluminum heaven... I had the old 20" Cinema Display before and it looked ok alongside the AluBook, but not nearly as nice as the new one. (I sold the old one to a friend who waited forever for new Apple displays but now likes the old ones better - people are strange...)

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

What about the all the rest of the space you have on your desktop?

So what do you do with the 20 inch's extra desktop space? (Other than display the Masaerati... - i assume you have a large .jpg that you have dragged over there to use the space).

I was thinking of getting Elgato eye Tv 200 so I can watch TV on the 20 inch or play PS2 on it and use the PB screen for web surfing. Or, when I have lots of windows / apps open I would use the flat panel to increase my desktop workspace... ;)

aussie_geek

9. macrumors 6502a

I use the 20" as an extended desktop – I often need to work with several word and excel documents side by side. When I only surf the web or stuff like that, I actually turn the 20" off most of the time. I have been thinking about getting an EyeTV, actually, that would be very neat (and the 20" would stay on much more :)). For me, this setup is the ultimate solution to be mobile, have a huge desktop workspace at home – and an almost completely silent, yet quite powerful computer. It's just great!

P.S. If you want to go over the top, with a VTBook PC-Card (http://www.villagetronic.com/e_pr_vtbook.html) you could even connect another Cinema Display to a PowerBook! :eek: