15-inch Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Spock, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Ok so, i have been looking around for a Powerbook to just toss around I was thinking a old like first gen Powerbook G4 but as i look I notice that people still want an arm and a leg for these things I've seen 400MhZ models go for like $990 I could buy a new iBook for that anybody have input on why these things are worth so much?? I have a few ideas and want to know if they are the same.

2. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

Yeah that site tells me everything I already know, dont spend $600 on a 4 year old laptop unless it is made of gold. I am wanting opinions on why they are worth so much.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah the old PowerBooks G4 still get high prices on them.

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I'm guessing it's because they can still run OS 9 (not everyone is on OS X) and because they were/are damn sexy. For OS 9 a 400Mhz G4 is going to be pretty damn fast.

In Japan a 500Mhz Pismo can still fetch upwards of $900

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That explains Ebay US prices on those. I want one for my "collection" but I cannot justify the price, especially when I am trying to get a new G4 iBook!

Oh well...

[​IMG]

6. California macrumors 68040

California

Listen the Tibooks are still worth every penny, and I have a new 14" iBook. The wider screen, the cool look, the solid feeling of the keyboard; it is a classic of modern machine age design and function.

I'm dropping in the fastest hd, most ram and top of the line Superdrive in a Ti next week, after I get a new logic board for it from Apple. The ALbooks just BEND too easy next to the Ti's. (Albeit, the Ti's lose paint more easily, but at least that can be remedied.)

7. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I don't know that prices for TiBooks are all THAT high. I just bought an 800 DVI for $799, and there have been 550 and 667 models listed on eBay recently for 600-700. Cheaper ones are likely to be minus paint in some areas of course, and there are probably not many that are free from at least a few dings and scratches.

I bought mine to replace a 12-month old G4 iBook, which is a great little system, but is not in the same class when it comes to stunning industrial design and lightweight portability combined with great quality display and usable keyboard. The TiBook is probably the only laptop I'd seriously consider as a replacement for a desktop system.

8. punkmac macrumors regular

Ti Powerbook pricing...

Maybe because from the OUTSIDE you can't tell what speed it is. A 500 mhz machine looks just like a 1 GHz machine.

Form factor is the only reason I see buying one of these old Powerbooks when an iBook with 3x the speed can be prchased for a few more dollars.

I.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

From the users around here that I've seen, the Aluminum PB's hold up a lot better cosmetically than the Titanium ones.

10. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Same reason Cubes at 400mhz go for more than Mac Minis at 1.4ghz. They're both sexy little machines, so it can't be that. I think it's the nostaligia about the Cube, and knowing that you have one of the best pieces of industrial design ever. I mean, how cool was it that they fit one of the worlds most powerful machines into an 8x8x8 cube, without a fan?

Personally, I love the tiBook: it's what switched me; but the aluminum g4 seems to have less problems with logic boards, screens, and overall cosmetic problems [typed on an aluminum g4].