15 inch powerbook or 17 inch ???

Discussion in 'Games' started by delsol69, Feb 9, 2005.

1. delsol69 macrumors newbie

Hi i am on the market for a powerbook , when i am away from home wich i have a G5 dual 1.8 , and i want to know if someone can help me decide between the 15 inch fully loaded with 128 of vram and 1 gig of ram or the 17 inch wich also come with 128 video ram and only 512 of ram , mainly i want it to play WoW and portable gaming thanks regards .

Gus

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

15 all the way. I don't think the 17 is truly "portable" and since you have a G5 desktop already, you don't need a "desktop replacement, but an actual portable. The extra size of the 17 makes it somewhat cumbersome to carry around. not the weight, so much as the dimensions...

I'd say go with the 15. The only thing you lose is the optical output...which doesn't really matter that much unless you're wanting to plug your PB into an audio decoder or break-out box that supports 5.1 decoding and optical input...because mac's don't have any sort of surround processing chip on the motherboard in the first place. Seems almost silly to have optical out for 44/16 stereo.

Anyway, get the 15 unless it's your only machine.

3. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

what if it is your only machine? I will be going to college soon and I am emmediatly drawn to the 17". Its soo pretty. lol.... but I keep thinking of how awkward I might end up feeling whipping it out in class. I keep thinking about a 15" plugged into a 20" display but A. thats alot more money B. it doesnt look as nice. there are ups and downs to both. What do you guys think?

P.S. sorry for taking over your thread

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

15. It's basically the same thing as the 17, only a little smaller. Plus it will be faster then a 17 because you will have more ram. It's also a little bit more portable.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

Rob587--

In my experience, the 17 inch PowerBook will get more "oohs" and "ahhs" initially, but the 15 inch is thought to be nicer in general. But it depends on what you want.

I think it would be amazing to have a 20 inch cinema display with a PowerBook 15 inch.

Or, even better, get a Dell 26 inch TV/monitor or even a 19 inch one, since most dorms are small. It costs the same, and both of those Dell display offer high definition. (Tiger, anyone?)

6. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I agree. The 15" is nice! I was going to get the 17" and then I realized that I wanted it for the inital " oohs" and "ahhs" factors as stated by Wide. But benpatient stated it well. The 17" is not really "portable" but actually a "desktop replacement." But since you already have the G5 PM, you don't need the 17" Also, have you "test drive" the 15" and 17" at your local apple store? I'm glad I did and that's why I got the 15". Go with the 15" with 128 of vram and 1 gig of ram. You'll love it.

Rob587, my 15" PB is the only one I use and it's awesome! I do photoshop, illustrator, endnote, chemdraw, word, powerpt, internet, and Halo (nice since I can play it on the road!)

Again, go test drive both the 15" and 17"

Let us know what you decide!

7. unixkid macrumors member

the 17" has optical audio in and out. but i would go with the 15" because its more portable and u dont sound like u need a moble workstation.

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Were I you, I'd opt for the 12" and the 20" LCD.

9. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

i cant get the 12" cuz i need the ati9700 for some gaming, but i still cant decide if i want the gorgeous cheaper 17" or the 15" with an lcd. If I didnt think I would feel awkward in class with a 17" id probally get it, but Ive never been to college so I dont have any previous experiances.

10. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Man, i can't believe what some people need for college now. I only started 4 years ago and it was crazy to need a 15" laptop, all I had was one of the 600mhz G3 iMac's. Now people want the 15" AND an external display. I wouldn't want to have all that expensive stuff in a dorm room, college students, especially freshmen, are more likely to bump something and break it. I also wouldn't trust them because they might steal it. Seriously, I would think just the 15" would be enough for any college student, save the money you would from not buying the screen. Not only would you look weird having a 17" in a classroom, but I you would look weird having a really nice laptop and a 20" display in your dorm room.

11. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

I have had my 17" for about a week now. I am also carrying my friends 15" PB back to our school with me at the same time. Now I can tell you that after a few days, there is hardly a difference in the "portable" factor. The 17" is only 1 lb heavier, and its not much bigger when it comes to carrying it. I will say that there is a major difference when your actually using the system. My friends 15" looks puny next to mine. And if you wanting a WoW portable experience, a bigger screen would be nice. Also, I have a 1.5, 1 gig ram, 4200 HD with 64m vram. With my processor set to reduced, back light at 1, and using the wireless connection, I am getting about 3.5 hours of battery life. My friend's 15" is a 1.25, 512 ram, 4200 RPM HD, 64 mv, and he only gets about 2.5 hours. You decide. It's all about what YOU want. I asked lots of people what I should get, but it came down to what I wanted. And I got it, and its great.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

you and your friend have different generations of powerbooks.

you can't compare his 15 and your 17.

go to the apple store and fold up a 17" one...put it under your arm and walk around.

unless you're lankier than I am (at 6'3") then it will feel awkward.

13. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

6'5" here and former owner of a 17" PowerBook. What a great computer when all I did was take it to work during the day and home during the night. A movable desktop. Perfect.

However, now I need a true portable. I'm the road, in the air, at clients'. The 17" was a major pain, which is why I traded down for the 15". I couldn't be happier.

14. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I really dont mind the difference of 1lb to carry around, im just thinking about how goofy it wuld look in class.

edit: i do love how the 17" looks personally though and wuld get it if it wasnt for class.

15. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

i just keeping like everyone says its smarter and better for me to get the 15" but I am so attracted to the 17". What do you guys think? Is 17"s enough room for a desktop or well I be seeking more room?

16. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I was in your position last year and I decided on the 17". Now, most people would say it is not portable and I would disagree. I am on the plane every other week and I have not had a problem using the system on the airplane. Sure it does not fit on the airplane tray and actually from what I have seen more laptops get damaged from people reclining their seats and wedging a laptop between the seat and the tray. I normally keep it on my lap, when I work on the plane. Now when I am sitting in first class there is no problem. I have taken my 17" PowerBook to Mexico, Japan and China. If it were not portable I would not have been able to do that.

Also I find the large screen easier on the eyes, especially when you are sitting in class taking notes and running lectures in PowerPoint for 8 hours.

I bought a Brenthaven backpack to carry my system in. This had made the process of going from the office to the airport to class much easier and it doesn't scream, "I have a $3000 system". Ultimately it is up to you, which size is right for you, but the 17" is just as portable as the 15".

17. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

so u dont feel out of place at all when ur in a lecture or something? I guess it looks like a 15" comparativly to the pc notebooks because it is so thin. Like the 15" pc has alot of outer plastic and is gennerally alot thicker, so maybee it wolnt look that diff.

18. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

No I don't feel out of place in a lecture although there are only 3 Macs in the entire room out of 50 people. Frankly the is not was not my concern when I bought the system. Honestely I looked at a 15" PowerBook for a long time, but because this system was going to become my main system and because I use it for everything and at the time I bought it no one was sure if an update would come out, I decided to get the most I could for the money I was spending.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm about to buy a PB (work refuses to get me one but will "allow" me to use one here, so I'm going to spend my bonus - and then some - on one in a month or so).

I qualify for the developer discount, so the 15" <-> 17" price delta is $160 plus tax for similar systems (128MB VRAM, same HD).

After much thought, I've decided to opt for the 17" because, to me, 20% more screen real estate justifies the $168 increase. If the 15" had the same resolution as my 2-year-old Dell (1920x1200, 15" screen), I'd gladly choose the 15". But, every pixel counts, so I'm going with the 17". The optical in/out is cool but something I'll never (likely) use.

20. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

i dont mean out of place because you have a mac. I meant out of place because its so big? or is it un-noticable?

whats is optical in/out?

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't think it's all that noticeable except right next to a smaller laptop - I think the 12" is more visibly "non-standard" than the 17", although the 17" will look a wee bit larger.

Optical in/out means you can connect the 17" optically to stereo equipment - the headphone and line-out jacks are dual-purpose - you can plug in headphones, for example, or, using the provided adapter, the optical output from, say, a DVDplayer, and you can connect the 17" optically to a stereo with optical inputs. If you don't know what it is, you won't use the feature. I think it's sort of cool, but mainly a gimmick for almost all users.

22. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

it sounds kool and i bet id deff use it if i knew what it was..... i dont quite follow though.... is it like infared?