Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This post and the subsequent one by Powerjack (of MacWhispers) on Spymac's forums reveals that he believes Apple is working on an update to the 15" Powerbook and expects that the "the new model is within days of being released". Other details:

I'm sure the LCD's have been shipped to Apple's assembly contractor, and that regulatory approvals were gained in January.
That's all I've actually, undeniably confirmed.

Per MacRumors' sources, Apple had started working on PowerBook updates (presumably 15") in early January but they tend to have "at least" a 2 month pipeline historically.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Damnit man... these need to be released now. I keep looking over at the g/f iBook 800 and thinking... "wait 'til I get the new PB and we'll see who is jealous..."

please please please come out soon!

Thanks,
--chris

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by RndmAxess
Smalldog.com has had no stock on the 15" TiBooks for awhile now. Well, actually they showed one in stock a few days ago, my guess is that it was a return.

So maybe Apple is doing what many have said, which is clearing out TiBook stock before announcing the 15" Al-Book.

I just sold my TiBook/500 and was about to get a 1Ghz TiBook, but now I'm not so sure I'll find one... or want one. Especially if the 15"AlBook comes geeked out like the 17's. That might be enough to give up my OS9 only apps for awhile, on the road anyway.

What OS9 applications are you going to have to give up? See, there's this thing called "classic" that you can use to run os9 applications in osX.

Neat. eh?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by Moxiemike

What OS9 applications are you going to have to give up? See, there's this thing called "classic" that you can use to run os9 applications in osX.

Neat. eh?

blech.

OS 9 is a waste of my time. If I wanted unstable slow garbage I would use win 3.11 ;)

</joke>

NitroPye

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2002
Plymouth, MA
Figures

I just puchased a 15" Superdrive Tibook at apple online store on the 25th of Jan. It would make sence why last friday was the estimated shipping day and still no ship. I dont care if they update them like days after i get it just as long as I get my freakin mac.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Figures

Originally posted by NitroPye
I just puchased a 15" Superdrive Tibook at apple online store on the 25th of Jan. It would make sence why last friday was the estimated shipping day and still no ship. I dont care if they update them like days after i get it just as long as I get my freakin mac.

Problem is the $200 price drop... :(

Or whatever they end up doing.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: If they're going to update, why not put a 1.4 GHz chip inside?

Originally posted by GeneR
If they're going to update the 15", why not put a 1.4 GHz chip inside?

That would be great but it won't happen...the 17" has a 1Ghz.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Re: If they're going to update, why not put a 1.4 GHz chip inside?

Originally posted by JSRockit

That would be great but it won't happen...the 17" has a 1Ghz.

<dream>

Same Ti body that would still boot OS 9 and the 1.25 GHz for the price of the 17" would be interesting... if it used DDR nicely. AE seems to be a bit unreliable (slow) as of right now on a 802.11b network, so that is not a big "feature" right now, but BT and FW800 should be squeezed in there.

</dream>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.