15 inch powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DarkAmeba, Jan 31, 2005.

1. DarkAmeba macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2005
    Now that the updates are FINALLY released, I am going to place my order for a 15" powerbook very soon. I have one dilemma, however: Is it worth $100 more to upgrade the VRAM to 128mb 9700 over the 64mb 9700, and will doing so delay my order because it is bto? The laptop will be used for light gaming, dvd's, internet. Any opinions welcome, thanks!
  2. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2005
    It is only worth it if you plan on doing 3d intensive graphics or a lot of digital video editing. For the vast majority of users 64 bits is more then enough. Certainly enough to run Tiger. Just depends on your needs. Contrary to public opinion I think it is a waste of cash to buy upgrades if you do not need them...just my outlook.
  3. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    I got the 128 on mine. I am not sure why but I always have to have the best. I am sure that is not good justification but I did it anyway. I didn't upgrade the ram though and I bought 2 x 1GB DIMM's for $190/each on Newegg.com. I figured with the money I saved there, I could get the 128mb ram. See how my sick mind works?
  4. brian4610 macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2005
    I too am planning on the 15" SD and was wondering if i need the VRAM update.....I plan on doing light editing for my own personal use, nothing too big...

I'm going to upgrade the RAM for sure, and was wondering what i would notice more 100GB hard drive or the vram?
  5. nosser macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2005
    i think you should always buy the best you can afford. Then you have no regrets. If later you need that 128 vram, you'll be sorry you didn't get esp. when you can afford it now.
  6. carpet macrumors member

Jan 13, 2005
    Will there be a big difference between the 64 and 128 gpu when using a 20 inch cinema display??
  7. brandon6684 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    it might be a good investment in the future. The way Apple is making the OS rely so heavily on the GPU, you might get an extra OS revision or two, aothough it'll be quite a while before either is obsolete. The 16MB VRAM in my old G3 iMac is one of the big reasons I'm looking to upgrade to a new iMac, and why I'm apprehensive to get the iBook or Mac mini with 32MB of RAM. Sure it technically still works, but the eye candy isn't as nice and it has to offload to the CPU and main RAM quite a bit, thus using precious system resources, and Tiger may be worse.
  8. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
  9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    If you plan on keeping the your PowerBook for awhile, get the VRAM upgrade. If you plan on selling your PowerBook soon, you should still get the VRAM upgrade. If you can't afford the upgrade, you should probably be buying a cheaper computer. Man, I wish could get a new PowerBook now. I'm still saving, hopefully the iBooks will be in better shape in 6 months.

10. attic salt macrumors member

Jan 5, 2005
    New York
    I am also looking to get a new 15" PB

But I have questions about the 1.5GHZ vs. the 1.67GHz.

Would it be better to buy the 1.67GHz and 2 512 MB RAM (How difficult would this be to upgrade in the future to the 2GB max?)

Or would it be better to buy the 1.5GHz with 1 1GB RAM and be able to add in another 1 GB later?

Will I notice the difference - these are both about the same price with an edu discount.

And what about resale value? If they bump to G5 or even G4 dual core, any speculations on how reselling this revision would pan out? Will I lose a lot of money from it? :confused:
  11. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    The big difference between the 1.5GHz and 1.67GHz is the graphics card options, IMHO. If you can afford it, go for the 1.67GHz with the upgraded graphics card for $2400. If you can't afford it, go with the base 1.5GHz for $2000.

As far as memory, I think you are best to just keep your 512MB standard then buy a 1Gig RAM aftermarket to put in later when you have the money. 1.5Gigs of RAM should be plenty. As far as I know, the PowerBook memory does not have any benefit for running in pairs.

Hopefully, the next PowerBook update will be G5 or dualG4. If you plan on getting a PowerBook then, I would not buy a PowerBook now. If you have to buy a computer now, I would recommend a 12" iBook for $1000. You could easily sell that and pick up the next rev. PowerBook.

12. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    It's better to get the 128MB VRAM upgrade. It'll probably make a difference when plugging to an external display (please correct me if I am wrong). The next generation PB will probaly have this standard.

And more memory is always better, at least 1 gig! You can always purchase more later on.
  13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Sorry but you are WRONG!

3D graphics/DV editing has to deal with CPU power, NOT GPU power.

Get the 128MB card. You cannot upgrade it later. Also, if you use a second monitor, then you must split your VRAM. And that means you will have (with 64MB of VRAM totall) less than 32MB per monitor, which can make Exposé choppy normally... you may have severe issues with Tiger, 15" monitor, and a 23" monitor.

We aren't talking about bits but bytes. 64MB vs. 128MB 64 bit processors are like the G5.... I don't know about video cards, but right now we are talking about separate topics.
  14. attic salt macrumors member

Jan 5, 2005
    New York
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna' have to break down and buy it in the next couple weeks. I'm going with the 1.67GHz, with the higher VRAM and I'll add in more RAM later. This is probably more than I need right now which is good because it will last me long enough. Any good suggestions on where to purchase 1 GB DIMMs?
  15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    You do NOT need a 128 video RAM for DVDs and internet.

That said, if you can afford it, you might go for the upgrade anyway because a) you can't do it later, b) sometimes people end up doing things with their computers they didn't anticipate, and c) who knows what will be considered "bare minimum" by the time you are done with this laptop.