15" LCD Quality

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Aaon, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Aaon macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Heya folks. I am looking more and more seriously at the 15" Powerbook. I think it would make a nice addition to my computational world, and would serve as a great replacement to my Thinkpad A31. The only thing holding me back (aside from saving up for it... only $800 to go!) is the LCD on the Powerbook. What do you all think of the quality? I know that the LCD on my Thinkpad is top notch, simply stunning for a portable. I have grown used to working on the Thinkpad's 15", 1400x1050 screen. Does the Apple screen compare favorably to the best of the LCDs out there? My nearest Apple Store is 2 hours away in Chicago, so I can't get there very often. Do you think they would have a problem with me walking in and placing my Thinkpad next to the Powerbooks to compare?

Thanks for the info!

2. mac_gal macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    I have the 15" Powerbook and I assure you, it's stunning.

I don't think they'd mind if you took in your Thinkpad. In my experience, Apple Store employees are friendly. They want you to switch and be happy. :)
  3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I have a 1.25 ALbook and I have no issues at all with the screen. I bought mine late in the product cycle, so I had no hassles with white spots and such. I have ZERO dead pixels, and I have always been impressed with the quality of Powerbook screens.
    I find my screen is very bright, has an excellent viewing angle, is easy on the eyes, represents colors well, and holds up well. AllI could ask for.

I doubt they will have an issue. You can also check review sites. CNet has reviews on macs, as does Amazon.com, and others.

4. arrowhead macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2004
    i think he is more concerned about the resolution of PB screen. and, i see why. for today's standard for the price you pay for a laptop, the resolution of 15 LCD on PB is pretty pathetic in my opinion. for example, sony's new s150 laptop has 13.3 inch LCD at about the same resolution (1280 x 800). PB 15's resolution is only at 1280 x 854.

i write software, so, would like to be able to see more lines of code in one screen full a lot of times and do so clearly. you may say that i can make the font size smaller, but doing so makes them appear fuzzy.
  5. Nspace macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    This was my first gripe about the Powerbook, I actually posted something about this a few minutes ago in another thread.

I know dell supports some really high resolutions on their laptop screens and as I designer, and looking to get an Apple, knowing that they have a huge niche in the design industry, i was expecting a much higher resolution.

I am using to working in 1600x1200 all the time so i was quite worried about the resolution.

On the bright side I have gotten used to it and really like it. In terms of the quality and the picture for it's max resolution of 1280 x 854, it is very good.

There is always the option to hook it up to an external monitor that supports higher resolutions as well.
  6. Aaon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Decisions Decisions....

Well, I'm glad to hear that in general people are pleased with the 15" screen. I too am a coder, and the more I can see on one screen without having to squint, the better. I am also concerned about the brightness. I want to be able to use it in a well-lit room without the screen looking "washed-out," if that makes sense. How does the screen look outdoors? Not that I plan to take it outdoors, to be honest, but it is an example of a high-light situation that many screens can't handle with clarity.