15" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jamesw, Jun 4, 2006.

  1. Jamesw macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2006
    #1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice.
    I am planning on purchasing a 15" 2.0 GHz MBP, but it is extremely costly.
    (CDN) $2199 MBP + $120 1GB RAM + $399 Apple care (dont know if I need that really) on TOP of that +15% tax (Ontario, CA). Also education discount will give me think -$225 (just for the MBP + RAM, not sure about APPLECARE). I need it for school in Sept. 2006 but I would also like to use it during the summer (school is finished already). Should I wait 1-2 months to purchase hoping the price would go down? Or maybe even a promotional value type thing? Should I buy it in the next couple weeks? Or wait 1-2 months. I have already been looking at the MBP for many months now but I am still not sure.

    Thanks, James.:)
     
  2. chrisblore macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    Location:
    Essex, UK
    #2
    TBH, I'd be inclined to wait until August to see what's announced by Apple unless you absolutely need the machine now. There may be nothing new in the way of Macbook Pros but there's no harm in waiting until then.
     
  3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #3
    Wait. There's a good chance of either a promotion, a revision or both in the next 1-2 months. You can do it, it'll be worth it!
     
  4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

    Xander562

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2006
    #4
    there are some rumors of a "back to school" promotion going into effect as early as next week. something to do with iPods i believe.
     
  5. macanudo macrumors regular

    macanudo

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #5
    I have a 2GHz MBP and love it. I was one of the first folks to get one in my office and have started a trend. If you are concerned about price, then I would consider getting a 2GHz MB. People here seem to love it and if you aren't a hardcore gamer or don't need the extra screen size and such, then the MB will save you a few bucks. I have been a PB user for so long, so the MBP was a great choice for me.

    The next machines that are due a refresh are the PowerMac's and Xserves, so I don't know when the MBP's will be refreshed next - probably sometime before the holidays I assume since they just speed bumped the MBP's when the rolled out the MB's.

    Good luck with your purchase. Either way, you will be pleased.
     
  6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #6
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PowerMac will use Core 2 Duo (Conroe). If the MBP's Core 2 Duo (Merom) is ready, there's no reason not to update both.
     
  7. macanudo macrumors regular

    macanudo

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #7
    Yeah, you're probably right, but I have a feeling that Apple might update the MBP with the Merom with the 17" and MAYBE the 15" high end. It will probably be out of this guy's price range. In that case, you can wait, then the refurbs will be a great deal.
     
  8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #8
    Yeah. If that happens, look out for the typical foam-mouthed forum protests...
     
  9. Undone macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2006
    #9
    i'm in the same type of position at the moment...im really itching to switch to macs and was heavily considering the MBP 15" 2.16 model.....should I wait? I can wait if you think it'll be worth it.....

    (the 15" 2.16 is at the very top end of my price range)
     

Share This Page