15" mba

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dornblaser, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Guest

Dornblaser

The recent articles about a 15" MBA almost making it to the market have been interesting reads. I was wondering how many folks would have opted for the 15" MBA if it were currently offered or might pick one up when it is introduced in '12?

2. macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I had a really hard time choosing between the 11" and the 13" because I wanted portability (got the 13 in the end), If the 15" was available, it would never of even been an option. I want my desktop to have a large screen, not my laptop.

3. macrumors 6502

SDColorado

I chose the 13" as I thought it was the perfect blend of portability and screen size. Though I did give a *lot* of consideration to the 11" and spent many hours over 4 or 5 visits to the Apple store debating the two. The 15", had it been available, wouldn't have interested me for a couple of reasons. First, I already have a 17" MBP, and to me it simply wouldn't have been enough of a reduction in size to warrant having both. Secondly, I really wanted to go small. If I honestly thought I could have gotten away with the 11", I would have gone that route for sure. I spent the 14 days of the return period wondering if I could have gotten away with the 11" instead, and maybe I could have. But I have really come to love this 13" and think overall it was the best choice for me.

Maybe if you don't have another laptop or you are looking for a "desktop replacement," that is lightweight and thin, the 15" may make sense. But I still feel the overall sweet spots for the MBA are in the 11" and 13" models. But that is only my opinion, for whatever that is worth :)

4. macrumors 6502

I wouldn't see the point in a 15" Air. If you want a 15" laptop, then you should be either getting a 15" Pro or a a Windows equivalent if you want. A 15" laptop really isnt portable (at least in my opinion) due to its size; it simply just won't fit in a normal sized bag, which means it doesn't matter how thin or light it is.

The MacBook Air also isnt the best for ventilation/cooling, as it only has one small slit in the back. To me, a 15" laptop is a desktop replacement, and therefore you would expect to be doing some more hardcore tasks on it; I wouldn't want to let my MacBook Air get THAT hot due to its poor cooling.

5. thread starter Guest

Dornblaser

I had the 15" MBP vs. iMac decision last year. A 15" Ivy MBA with 8 GB Ram and a 512 SSD might cause me to revisit the issue in '12.

6. macrumors regular

DouchGod

I was considering getting a MacBook Air but I'm gonna hang around until march and see if these rumours are true.

7. macrumors 68030

vitzr

Just for fun I'll buy one no matter what it's called or how it's specked.

I'm taking Apple with a grain of salt until some of the old "Jobs Reality Distortion Field" fades away and I can be sure that Tim Cook is truly in control.

Whenever any company experiences a turnover of CEO's the dividing line between the two is blurred during the transitional phase.

After all the blah, blah, blah about Jobs leaving a future plan, I'm staying away from any serious decisions when it comes to my upgrade path.

8. macrumors 604

ZBoater

I want the biggest, baddest screen on my laptop that not a chore to carry. A 15" MBA would be amazing. Thin to carry everywhere but an awesome large screen to work/view comfortably. I'm getting one!

9. macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I bought an Air because I wanted true portability. A 15" wouldn't give me that.

10. macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Oooh la la ... a lot of people will be re-visiting if a 15 inch air with 8 gb of ram hits the streets!

----------

It will be tempting enough with 4 gb of ram. With 8 gb of ram it becomes unavoidable.