15" or 17" for $500

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HardHatMac9, Jun 6, 2004.

1. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    I'm debating between a new 15" and a 17" Powerbook. The price difference is $500.

I'm a graduate student who is jumping ship to apple in order to be able to work more seamlessly with my music, pictures, and DV. I also write many papers, create powerpoint presentations...etc.

Any suggestions or ideas on which to buy?

Thank you!
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    15 inch. You will most likely not need the extra screen space for $500.

My 15 inch is sufficient for Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Flash MX.
  3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I would have to say the 15 as well...are you going to be using the computer mostly someplace besides your home? If you are doing most of your work at home consider getting a cheap extra monitor for more screen space if after you buy and use it you feel you need it. this way you have a smaller machine for portability but have great screen space for the majority of computer time. You can use the monitor as a second desktop to store open docs, etc....sort of an extended desktop.
  4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    As a 17" owner I agree that you should buy a 15". I can't imagine carrying this thing to campus everyday, plus (as stoid stated) the extra screen space isn't going to do you a lot of good.
  5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Save the $500 and get the 15in, use that money to get more memory, and the better video card, or even a faster and larger HD.
  6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I love my 17" PowerBook. The screen size is great for working on multiple assignments or web browsing while doing homework....or watching a movie while doing homework.....or for watching movies in the bedroom or the car or on the plane. It's really pretty easy to carry around also.....just make sure you find a great case so you do not have to carry around the PowerBook in it's case and a backpack. Here is the case we use:
    It will hold a lot of other stuff besides the PowerBook and it's charger.
  7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    If you're going to do DV, use that $500 for a 5400RPM internal drive and an external Firewire 800 hard drive (since you can't import DV to an external Firewire 400 drive, since there is only one Firewire 400 port).
  8. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    Great Comments...More?

This is a great forum. Thank you.

I would love to hear more comments, especially from 17" owners.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I would just like to point out that if your going to be using Powerpoint, you might want to at least check out a demo of Keynote. I think you would like it alot.

As for the 15'' vs 17'', visit your local store if you haven't already. You should know within mins which one is right for you.
  10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    That's incorrect.

Most (if not all) external firewire enclosures allow you to daisy chain 1394a devices (such as a camcorder and a harddrive.) I import digital video (and digital photos) through my fw400 drive quite often.

I did it today in fact. :)
  11. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2001
    After much thought , buy the 15" and use that $500 to get a high quality dvi name brand 17" monitor, buy a good dinner, some itunes songs, and 1 extra battery. JMTS